PARENTS parking cars near schools, it needs stopping

It's not safe to walk because of all the traffic fumes. (!)

Which would be cut significantly if lazy parents walked their kids to school instead of driving them to school.

I've no intention of walking my four year old four miles to school every morning.

It is good for all children to walk, would it be better to park 1/2 mile away?

Absolutely agree with that. There's no reason to park illegally at all.

Problem with the police idea is that it's entirely disproportionate sadly. They'd make perhaps a couple of hundred quid in fines, but would spend that officer's time, take the car out of action etc for a couple of hours and it's just not worth it (particularly with police cuts).

If it alters the current behaviour of the few bad drivers it will have served its purpose.

I've said this before on a similar thread. Camera on a pole, focussed on the zig zags or double yellow lines. (No car or presence of personnel required).

Parent parks illegally.

Fine arrives in post a few days later with photographic evidence.

Rinse and repeat until they stop.

No confrontation, no requirement to tie up police officers. As for cost? Well, the chances are it will pay for itself very quickly. Even if every school doesn't have one, there could be a small number of portable ones, switched between sites regularly, so parents don't know where they are.

I've said this before on a similar thread. Camera on a pole, focussed on the zig zags or double yellow lines. (No car or presence of personnel required).

Parent parks illegally.

No confrontation, no requirement to tie up police officers. As for cost? Well, the chances are it will pay for itself very quickly. Even if every school doesn't have one, there could be a small number of portable ones, switched between sites regularly, so parents don't know where they are.

I agree with that idea and it makes a great deal of sense.

What would also be useful is sticking a sodding great neon coloured sign on the car with written on it "fined for being an arrogant lazy tosser". You never know, it might work :)

Parent parks illegally.

My guess is that camera enforcement is not a legal way to do it. And I wonder if in SCC's case, they have even applied for the traffic regulation orders to enforce the zig zags anyway.

It's not safe to walk because of all the traffic fumes. (!)

Maybe if all the morons who are too idle to walk their kids to school walked there wouldn't be so many fumes. I used to walk 3 miles there and three miles back when I was at school. Maybe if the parents looked at themselves as guardians instead of nannies they would encourage their offspring to exercise

Perhaps the OP and other people with complaints should be lobbying the council to pay a wage/give acceptable conditions to School Crossing Wardens and then they might be closer to filling the huge vacancies across the city. It's an insult that having to do such a responsible job and get to work for three times a day, in all weathers and the hours stop you from doing any other day job, merits a couple of quid in wages as they only pay for actual time worked.

When parents can rely on the crossings being staffed every day, more children will be able to walk to school.

I could safely walk to my local primary, when I was a pupil, as there were four School Crossing Wardens on the way. The same route now has just one one, leaving dangerous crossings unmanned.

People only have to look at the various threads on here to see how the standards of driving have nose-dived around the city. There are too many drivers who show no regard for the safety of others.

In addition to this, the council in their wisdom have allowed a local business to expand tenfold relatively unchecked, at a major, already dangerous, crossroads, used by hundreds to get to school, with cars, vans, and tow trucks dangerously reversing in and out at speed, at all hours, and leaving vehicles on the pavement that restrict views, that is especially dangerous to young children, and now my children have to negotiate this on the way to school, so it is simply not safe for them to walk unless they are accompanied by an adult, and most adults have jobs to get to, some have disabilities, so these types of situations also serve to make the problems worse.

There are also some parents/older siblings who insist on reversing dangerously near the school gates every morning and after school, putting lives at risk and until this is sorted, many parents will not feel that their children can walk to school in safety. The overwhelming majority of parents park in a safe and courteous manner, however it is a handful every day that act in a selfish, dangerous, callous manner, by reversing near the school gates, they also usually have their radios blaring out at a deafening level.

Edited by Hesther

Not always possible. We live four miles from school, and when we get there, I park in the (numerous) parking bays designated for parking. I've no intention of walking my four year old four miles to school every morning.

Given you can't tell who has come a walkable distance (and what's walkable for one parent might not be for another), it's impossible to either judge or enforce.

Perhaps having everyone go to the closest school would help to solve the problem.

---------- Post added 24-02-2016 at 09:22 ----------

I agree.

But what can be enforced is correct parking. Despite the very clear zig zag markings and the big signs saying no stopping, some parents choose to drive right up to the gates. I'd be all for a police presence on a regular basis, with strong enforcement and fines where appropriate.

Or, borrow a police stinger and set it up on the zig zags. Even put up warnings if you're feeling generous.

Perhaps having everyone go to the closest school would help to solve the problem..

Err no. Quite simply, no.

I choose to pay for my child's education, therefore it's my choice where she goes. Trying to walk that distance with a four year old in a morning would mean a walk of around 2 hours, so setting off at 6.30am. It's not happening.

Private schools would not be included of course.

But the idea that people choose state schools that are not the closest one is ridiculous and contributes to congestion and childhood obesity.