Crosspool Police Station

JBFox

Why would they? They would be having the convenience of the shop and as there is shrubbery surrounding the perimeter of the site, there would be no perversion of their privacy.

I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone on Campsall Drive didn't object to a shop on that site. Along with the neighbours on either side and opposite on Lydgate Lane. The people on Campsall Drive will not want cars blocking the road to their houses.

You could learn a lot by looking at some planning applications for similar sites on Shefield Council's planning portal. There was one for a proposed shop at Parkhead, and the one mentioned earlier (at the old Motor world site) at Crosspool.

I'm certain that vehicle access and movements would be a big issue and prevent any planning approval on its own. And that's before any consideration as to what the council consider to be the preferred use for a building on that site.

The plot's roughly the same size as for the detached house next door. I'm pretty sure that the planners would not accept vehicle access directly from Lydgate Lane. They might accept it from Campsall Drive, but the residents on there would fight tooth and nail.

Also, there just isn't enough room. The TV mast stops access behind.

I'd be absolutely shocked if anyone on Campsall Drive didn't object to a shop on that site. Along with the neighbours on either side and opposite on Lydgate Lane. The people on Campsall Drive will not want cars blocking the road to their houses.

You could learn a lot by looking at some planning applications for similar sites on Shefield Council's planning portal. There was one for a proposed shop at Parkhead, and the one mentioned earlier (at the old Motor world site) at Crosspool.

I'm certain that vehicle access and movements would be a big issue and prevent any planning approval on its own. And that's before any consideration as to what the council consider to be the preferred use for a building on that site.

The plot's roughly the same size as for the detached house next door. I'm pretty sure that the planners would not accept vehicle access directly from Lydgate Lane. They might accept it from Campsall Drive, but the residents on there would fight tooth and nail.

Also, there just isn't enough room. The TV mast stops access behind.

Hi Eater. Did you see the link I posted to Google Streetview? The position on the link shows how ample the available space is. Also, do you have a car? If so, do you take your car to the shops or do you walk? I would like to think that the majority of people walk. RE: commuters parking cars in the area..that would only be at certain times of the day, so it's not as though it would be constant.

That would be nice Doog. I think Shaffaq and other car drivers protested against the change of trading licence though, it will probably just re-open as another garage...maybe Texaco this time. :(

It was already a convenience store (as well as a petrol station), so I'd expect that to stay even if the petrol station is retained.

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 22:15 ----------

Hi Eater. Did you see the link I posted to Google Streetview? The position on the link shows how ample the available space is. Also, do you have a car? If so, do you take your car to the shops or do you walk? I would like to think that the majority of people walk. RE: commuters parking cars in the area..that would only be at certain times of the day, so it's not as though it would be constant.

I shop on my way home from work, but usually at a larger supermarket, with a proper car park.

You can see the available area much better on satelite view than on street view. There might be enough room for a delivery vehicle, but not for customers' cars. Planners would not accept a brand new shop on that basis. There are lots of existing shops with poor access and parking, but they are long established and the consent is retained. But Planners do not accept new convenience stores on main roads (which WILL attract passing drivers) unless adequate, safe parking is available.

I shop on my way home from work, but usually at a larger supermarket, with a proper car park.

If there wasn't a large supermarket on your way home and there was only say an off-licence, would you bother to call off or would you wait and walk to the shops later?

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 22:24 ----------

We are only talking about your perception of what would be the case and my perception of what would be the case. No one else has come forward to give their views on what they feel the impact would be unfortunately.

I don't think anyone could stop people from using a shop without mitigating circumstances. There aren't that many commuters as such that pass Lydgate Lane..there are some school buses but they don't stop, they just drive through! Even so, the road outside the premises has a yellow zigzag on it, which I assumes means no parking.

I head the petrol station was going to be a supermarket but then some councillour protested against closing their precious petrol station... Shaffaq Mohammed I think he was called. Needless to say, he didn't get my vote!

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 17:12 ----------

Are you my secret admirer? It's a bit late to surprise me with Valentine's flowers!!:hihi:

There's pretty much a steady stream of traffic both ways on Lydgate Lane at rush hour. Plenty of passing traffic, some of which would choose to use such a stop if parking were available, and even if it wasn't.

The same could be said for the ice cream van, which results in a pile up of parents' cars parked outside the park on Lydgate Lane while mummy buys little Isaac a 99 with a flake. We are talking about rush hour, one hour a day, I don't think that would cause the residents of Campbell Drive too much aggravation.

I do understand the point you are trying to make. I don't however think it is substantial enough for the council to reject a much-needed business and a way to clean their hands of the elephant in the room that is the disused Police Station.

The same could be said for the ice cream van, which results in a pile up of parents' cars parked outside the park on Lydgate Lane while mummy buys little Isaac a 99 with a flake. We are talking about rush hour, one hour a day, I don't think that would cause the residents of Campbell Drive too much aggravation.

I do understand the point you are trying to make. I don't however think it is substantial enough for the council to reject a much-needed business and a way to clean their hands of the elephant in the room that is the disused Police Station.

Well a disused police station (if it is disused - I don't know) is of no concern to the council, as it would be SYP's. The plot would take a single house (maybe 2 at a pinch), and in amongst other houses, I expect it would meet SCC's expectations for the area. If a single house, it could easily have vehicular access from Campsall Drive, which would suit the planners even more.

I think that parking and vehicle movements in general associated with a convenience store would be more than enough to prevent planning approval at this site. It is a key issue that comes up time and time again when people try for a change of use to a shop. A convenience store involves a lot of vehicle movements - a lot more than for a pub or restaurant of a similar size.

It's not the council's job to second guess the need for a business, that's up to market forces and would be entrepreneurs. Any business created here would adversely effect other businesses, so it doesn't take sides. It views each application on its own merits.

Edited by Eater Sundae