Crosspool Police Station

JBFox

The commentators are self selecting and it is always likely that there will be a lot more objectors than supporters, as supporters are unlikely to even bother posting their views. But it doesn't alter the fact that proposed convenience stores are very divisive. Many people do not like them close by, and certainly not next door. I think you are in a minority on this one (not that that matters - its just that I think you are wrong in thinking that people on Campsall Drive, for example, would like the police station to become a shop. And if it did, they'd soon be complaining when they couldn't drive to or from their house because their road is blocked by people visiting the shops "just be 2 minutes".

I am VERY glad to hear that the application has been approved. RE: the not wanting a Tesco..well the "shop small, shop local" ethos is all well and good but, no small business is going to stay open until 11pm every night and open on Sundays like Tesco do is it?

The residents of Campsall Drive may well protest, but they need solid proof that car parking will be an issue. After all, it is a shop that would be applied for, the shop would not be applying for permission to permenantly concrete 12 cars onto the tarmac at Campsall Drive. The residents would need to prove that this DEFINATELY would be an issue and that they weren't just basing it on statistics. I will refer again to Hangingwater Stores. I have bought items from there on numerous occasions and I have NEVER seen a car driver shopping there. The customers have always been on-foot. This is also on a road which you may class as a 'commuter' road. The people who shop there however, all seem very local - some even in slippers!

I live fairly close to Hangingwater Stores. Plenty do walk there, but plenty also stop as they are driving past. This happens with a lot of convenience stores. People are on their way home from work and they want to get something for their evening meal. It suits them to do this in preference to going home and then walking out later to buy something.

It is what happens. A convenience store isn't just convenient for people who live nearby and walk, it is also convenient for people who drive past. The planners recognize this and therefore insist that adequate and safe parking is provided.

The main point about Hangingwater Stores is that it is already there and has been so for years. So it doesn't have to apply for planning permission for a change of use (which such as the police station would have to). Imagine if the building was, for example, a private house and the owner applied for it to become a convenience store. Then it would be likely to be in a similar situation to the police station, and approval would be denied. If you can get on the website, look at the failed attempt to obtain planning approval for the old Motor World building. Despite nearby parking within the shopping centre, and general street parking in the area, permission was denied because of lack of parking and poor access in and out of the premises itself. (Edit. If someone wants to apply for a change of use that is expected to attract more vehicles to stop, then the planners will want to see facilities for that extra traffic. It would not be up to the residents of roads such as campsall drive to prove anything).

How would you feel if a convenience store opened on your road and cars started parking outside, as near as they can, and on the kerb - because that is what would happen. To prevent this sort of situation arising, the planners would refuse such an application. They would insist, as a minimum, safe off-street parking, with the ability to drive in and drive out. There are plenty of existing shops that don't have such a car park, but the point is that they are existing. You never see it on new builds / change of use applications.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

I live fairly close to Hangingwater Stores. Plenty do walk there, but plenty also stop as they are driving past. This happens with a lot of convenience stores. People are on their way home from work and they want to get something for their evening meal. It suits them to do this in preference to going home and then walking out later to buy something.

How would you feel if a convenience store opened on your road and cars started parking outside, as near as they can, and on the kerb - because that is what would happen. To prevent this sort of situation arising, the planners would refuse such an application. They would insist, as a minimum, safe off-street parking, with the ability to drive in and drive out. There are plenty of existing shops that don't have such a car park, but the point is that they are existing. You never see it on new builds / change of use applications.

When you see people in a car go in to Hangingwater Stores, where do they park? I don't imagine they park exactly outside as I think (?) there are double yellow lines outside...

If a convenience store opened on my road, firstly, it would be great as I would never run short of things! Secondly, people ALREADY do park on the pavement on my street. What I would do is I would, as I am already doing, campaign with concillors to enforce the law to prevent people from parking on the pavement. As long as they do not park on the pavement, it would not be an issue for me.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

Does anyone know if Crosspool Police Station is still in use? I live very close to it and never see it being used. I know it recently had a minor refresh, with a flag being erected.

I think the unit would make a prime location for a retail space. Lydgate Lane is constantly developing and with the new houses now complete on the former Hallamshire Hotel site, I think we do need some more amenities here in Crosspool, if not for late night fixes of cider when one has a craving!!

The mast immediately adjacent to the Crosspool Police Station is a "TETRA" installation and provides digital encrypted wireless communication for all the emergency services including the Police Service..

The other bigger mast up by the reservoir is the TV/VHF radio/DAB radio/mobile phone transmitter.

Although not in use as a Police Section Office I would think that it provides a secure, possibly air conditioned, environment for the Tetra equipment, where technicians can work to service or repair the very important kit.

I have worked on a similar radio base station, commercially and privately owned, and the blockhouse housing the equipment was as least as big as the building at Crosspool. It will probably house a battery back-up installation in case of power cuts.

The mast is ideally located to cover a large area of Sheffield and I think that it and the building will be there for some time.

Just my tenpennath.

That's interesting reading Hilldweller. I was not aware of this and the possibility of this should be taken into consideration. However, the site is clearly labelled as Crosspool Police Station, it is not labelled as Crosspool Police Resource centre. This suggests that it is simply a police outpost, which was in days gone by a less used police station - possibly with one or two cells. No one on this forum can prove whether it houses signalling equipment or not.

That's interesting reading Hilldweller. I was not aware of this and the possibility of this should be taken into consideration. However, the site is clearly labelled as Crosspool Police Station, it is not labelled as Crosspool Police Resource centre. This suggests that it is simply a police outpost, which was in days gone by a less used police station - possibly with one or two cells. No one on this forum can prove whether it houses signalling equipment or not.

If you want proof JBFox log into the sitefinder program at

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

where you will find the location clearly labelled as a Tetra installation.

I am not disputing that. I am simply questioning if the equipment is stored in the building. It is after all, labelled as a police station, which is where members of the general public would expect to enter, as opposed to somewhere engineers work.

When you see people in a car go in to Hangingwater Stores, where do they park? I don't imagine they park exactly outside as I think (?) there are double yellow lines outside...

If a convenience store opened on my road, firstly, it would be great as I would never run short of things! Secondly, people ALREADY do park on the pavement on my street. What I would do is I would, as I am already doing, campaign with concillors to enforce the law to prevent people from parking on the pavement. As long as they do not park on the pavement, it would not be an issue for me.

At Hanginwater Stores, some people park on the wide pavement directly outside the shop, some park on the same side beyond Fulney road (usually half on the pavement), and some turn down Fulney Rd and park near the top. There usually are very few spaces available, but the store is rarely very busy. Those parking often park badly, IMO, but that's the nature of the beast.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

At Hanginwater Stores, some people park on the wide pavement directly outside the shop, some park on the same side beyond Fulney road (usually half on the pavement), and some turn down Fulney Rd and park near the top. There usually are very few spaces available, but the store is rarely very busy. Those parking often park badly, IMO, but that's the nature of the beast.

You raise a point which I was going to ask. The fact that a small convenience store RARELY is used by a large amount of people at the same time would suggest that there wouldn't be issues with road traffic.

With regards to people parking on the pavement at Hangingwater Stores, I suggest you make a note of the registrations and report it to the police.

You raise a point which I was going to ask. The fact that a small convenience store RARELY is used by a large amount of people at the same time would suggest that there wouldn't be issues with road traffic.

With regards to people parking on the pavement at Hangingwater Stores, I suggest you make a note of the registrations and report it to the police.

I would suggest that the reason it is not so busy is partially because it doesn't have a great range, and partly because parking is not very convenient. The point is that provided the store is attractive to customers then drivers will be attracted up to the point that it is so busy that it is no longer practical to park - by which time it is too late as cars are badly parked, over kerbs, and pulling in and out of unsuitable parking spaces, and increased danger. Which is why the planning department try and pre-empt the situation by insisting on adequate parking on all new applications.

It's all a bit academic, though, as hilldweller has already explained the building's use.