Tax details published, what is to hide?

67 would be the relevant figure here, as the self assessment deadline (today) is for the period from Apr 14 to Apr 15. The last increase (to 74k) applied from May 15.

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has published his tax return and has urged Chancellor George Osborne to do the same.

I can't imagine a duller document to read than John McDonnell's tax return. It's all going to be straight and above board, or he wouldn't have published it.

Haven't you people got anything better to do?

I can't imagine a duller document to read than John McDonnell's tax return. It's all going to be straight and above board, or he wouldn't have published it.

Haven't you people got anything better to do?

It isn't even his tax return. It is a couple of figures on a form. Not a complete tax return. It isn't illegal to put false figures on a tax return form and send them for a publicity stunt to a newspaper, whilst submitting different figures to HMRC.

It would however be illegal for someone at HMRC to confirm or deny the figures either way.

So really this is a bit of hokum to deflect from the fact that he and his party don't actually have anything more relevant to talk about.

Edited by foxy lady

What Cyclone an Nagel said.

Salaries are known anyway and then addition sources of income have to be put in members interests.

What you wouldnt know is how much they owned and how much things like family trusts were earning as you could arrange your affairs so no income was taken, by the MP but they could be given to a family member or retained in the company.

It would be political suicde and ridiculous for a shadow chancelor or anyone in public officer to deliberately mislead and send false figures. If he submitted the tax form with flase figures then ofc that would be illegal. As it is with Cyclone being one of the few who understands how income tax works, then its all been explained to you.

...As it is with Cyclone being one of the few who understands how income tax works, then its all been explained to you.

:hihi:

That bit made me giggle!

We're not all on the dole you know! ;)

:hihi:

That bit made me giggle!

We're not all on the dole you know! ;)

Care to explain?

So really this is a bit of hokum to deflect from the fact that he and his party don't actually have anything more relevant to talk about.

Sweden has a principle of public access, we starting on a track towards more freedom with our freedom of information laws, but there has been talk of cutting back on this, we need to progress further.

Let me get this straight, is John Mcdonnell proposing a Labour Party policy for everybody's tax returns to be made public?

Let me get this straight, is John Mcdonnell proposing a Labour Party policy for everybody's tax returns to be made public?

No. It was to do with the lack of transparency behind the Google deal, which is proving controversial as its claimed they should be paying a lot more and so have go away with a deal on the cheap. The one you posted about Eric.

Sweden has a principle of public access, we starting on a track towards more freedom with our freedom of information laws, but there has been talk of cutting back on this, we need to progress further.

Sweden have not had a good recent track record of making decisions which have improved life for their citizens .

Why don't you start a thread and publicise your own tax affairs and see how many SF members will join you ?

Sweden have not had a good recent track record of making decisions which have improved life for their citizens .

Why don't you start a thread and publicise your own tax affairs and see how many SF members will join you ?

Even by your standards thats a pretty ridiculous form of argument.

You should go and look at the quality of life surveys and Sweden is always one of the highest and always comfortably in front of the UK, so they must be getting plenty right.

On the point of the post its political posturing by a politician. I will be interested to see what the select committee think about the tax deal as well as how France and Italy fare in getting more out of Google.

Edited by 999tigger

Useless posturing.

Next week the virginal Ann Widdecombe declares that she's not having sex, and everybody else should also declare how much sex they are having.