Cold caller offering 'gutter clearing service' in S8

Just had a fellow knock on my door: "We're in the area next week cleaning gutters. Have you ever considered having your gutters cleared?"

These cold callers are often (usually?) scammers.

I gave him a Paddington-style hard stare and slowly shook my head; he turned around and walked on.

If I'd had my wits about me I'd have asked for a business card. Anyway, he was about 6ft tall, mid-fifties, heavy build, male-pattern baldness, wearing a black jacket and carrying a black folder. He wasn't wearing an ID badge.

So gone are the days when a tradesman could drum up a bit of business because of a crook in Essex. :rolleyes: Heaven help us.

Never do business with a trader who uses the phrase "in your area".

better still dont pay any money up front for any work.

A bloke with a hard hat & clipboard knocked on the door the other day offering to clean the gutters for £25. I live on the outer edge of New Whittington which is not a million miles away from S8.

chap with a beard knocked on my door, i only just heard him.

I had a chap ring my doorbell a couple of days ago, attempting to get me to have a quote done for window replacement ("We're in the area"). He was personable enough but also as persistent as a bulldog, with his right hand waving a full-colour flyer in front of my eyes. A rather dog-eared flyer, just like the huge, tatty bundle he had tucked into the crook of his left arm. He gave up eventually and left, without a sale and still clutching his flyer, and I was left wondering for how many years that sorry-looking bundle had been hawked around Sheffield.

We sometimes have a small white truck do the rounds with a man in a high viz vest and clipboard jumping out if they see a roof that may need a tile replacing, or guttering. The truck has lots of brand logos on the side of it - roofing trade logos. However my OH works in roofing and I spotted one logo was for a trader - why would they have that on when they're not that company, along with manufacturing brands?! Needless to say I don't believe them to be genuine!

Its useful owning a big barky dobermann, cold callers and charity chuggers suddenly have a change of mind when they hear her, lol