Christmas/New Year public transport 2015

A skeleton bus service operates on Boxing Day because that is all the taxpayer is prepared to fund (although funny how the trams run commercially without subsidy and the buses don't...).

The only people travelling on Boxing Day really are those going to the sales at Meadowhall and those going to the football, the service provided is enough to satisfy that demand.

Not many people work between Christmas and New Year, most use their leave up and have that week off. The Saturday level of service is good enough to cope with the reduced demand.

You think that's all who travel? What about people visiting family as that is the only time they are off over Christmas? And the demand for transport to the sales will be low will it?

Doesn't affect me as I drive anyway...just saying that the justification for having a skeleton service on what could be a very busy Saturday is a poor one.

typical UK joined-up thinking - eat drink and be merry... but don't drink and drive... but we're not gonna provide an alternative to driving

typical UK joined-up thinking - eat drink and be merry... but don't drink and drive... but we're not gonna provide an alternative to driving

I think you will find Taxis will still be available for the few that still go out in town.

Again - buses, trams and trains COULD operate at such times of low demand if the taxpayer subsidised them (like in many other countries) but people don't like paying extra tax with little extra benefit and besides - austerity Britain and all that...

Edited by Andy C

I think you will find Taxis will still be available for the few that still go out in town.

Again - buses, trams and trains COULD operate at such times of low demand if the taxpayer subsidised them (like in many other countries) but people don't like paying extra tax with little extra benefit and besides - austerity Britain and all that...

Is this a good time to mention that Britain has one of the highest taxpayer subsidy rates for railways, despite being fully privatised? perhaps if the subsidies went to actually providing a service rather than being creamed off in dividends and bonuses we might actually get somewhere... (both literally and metaphorically)

Lovely I get to stand outside my work for 30+ mins in a not so nice part of town during Christmas and New Year. Since I have to get a bus at 5.47 to get to work for 7am...will be in town way before then.

Is this a good time to mention that Britain has one of the highest taxpayer subsidy rates for railways, despite being fully privatised? perhaps if the subsidies went to actually providing a service rather than being creamed off in dividends and bonuses we might actually get somewhere... (both literally and metaphorically)

Most of the money gets spent on Network Rail, an inefficient public sector organisation. Many of the private mainline train operators actually pay the government a premium rather than the other way around.

some, not most. And let's not forget it's only public sector cos the private sector made such a mess of it...

some, not most. And let's not forget it's only public sector cos the private sector made such a mess of it...

Its never really truly been a private business though has it...just an accounting fiddle by the chancellor to keep it off the government debt book.

Its never really truly been a private business though has it...just an accounting fiddle by the chancellor to keep it off the government debt book give more taxpayers' money to their mates in the City.

fixed that for you... ;)

On Boxing Day there will be a maximum fare of £1.00 for all adult bus single journeys.

There are no special fares on New Year’s Day when normal fares will be charged

On Boxing Day there will be a maximum fare of £1.00 for all adult bus single journeys.

There are no special fares on New Year’s Day when normal fares will be charged

Yes, thanks to a pointless additional subsidy from our cash strapped council!

Trams will be running on both Boxing Day and New Years Day with no public subsidy and charging normal fares! Likewise trains on New Years Day.