75th Anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz

Has any more information been released about this weekends events?

The Civil Aviation Authority have just given the green light on our searchlight display for the Sheffield Blitz 75th commemoration event this Saturday, December 12th.

At 6.40pm two original World War Two searchlights with beam into the sky from outside The Moor Market on The Moor. At 7.15pm - the precise time the bombs started dropping on Sheffield city centre - air raid sirens will ring out across the city. They will be accompanied by searchlights sited around The Moor/city centre area. We're encouraging people to 'black out' at 7.15pm for two minutes as a mark of respect for the hundreds killed and wounded in the attacks 75 years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/SheffieldBlitz75th/?fref=ts

Thanks jimmy1975. I've just been reading the facebook page and intend to watch the documentary on there in a bit. Wow! What a remarkable event it should be. A wonderful tribute to those who lost their lives and those who were forced to endure such horror.

I haven't got tickets to the Moor Market event and they've all gone now, but will there be other things going on on the Moor, that people without tickets can turn up to and mill around?

The Civil Aviation Authority have just given the green light on our searchlight display for the Sheffield Blitz 75th commemoration event this Saturday, December 12th.

At 6.40pm two original World War Two searchlights with beam into the sky from outside The Moor Market on The Moor. At 7.15pm - the precise time the bombs started dropping on Sheffield city centre - air raid sirens will ring out across the city. They will be accompanied by searchlights sited around The Moor/city centre area. We're encouraging people to 'black out' at 7.15pm for two minutes as a mark of respect for the hundreds killed and wounded in the attacks 75 years ago.

Sounds great, I've always been fascinated by the Blitz, just trying to work out where I'm going to stand to see over the city...

Edited by byeo

Although, there does seem to be a form of state sponsored remembrance 'mania' Waterloo? I think its about time we recognised the contribution and the stoicism and the bravery of the WW2 civilians and in many cases their losses. I remember my mum telling me about running for dear life to get into the shelters in liverpool, This sounds like a very good event.

Oh, just found out the event is sold out, bah!

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know what exactly is happening on the 12th Dec to mark the 75th Anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz?

I've read on Facebook that the city will be put into darkness, search lights will scan the skys and air raid sirens will sound.

Is anything happening and when they say the city will be put into darkness does that mean all the streetlights or just the city centre?

They also ask people to black out their windows as a mark of respect, do is anyone else doing this?

If the blitz didn't finish off the residents of the 1940's then an non socially networked OAP reliving it without warning may just do the job :huh::help:

Does anyone know the timings of lights out and sirens? My sister hS dementia and lives in a flat which has a good view of the city I could do with warning her in good time so as not to alarm her cheers

People are saying the sirens will go off at 7pm signalling the search lights as it's the time the first bomb was dropped