Keith Vaz wants to ban the coke truck

What would happen if a Christian MP called for the end of the over indulgence of Muslims when they celebrate Eid?

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 09:58 ----------

Yes but Coca-Cola have used their specific branding/advertising since the 1920's which will mean that for the vast majority of people in the world have known this for their entire life. Therefore its part of our culture.

This is about the truck and that started in 1995 in an effort to sell more Coke. So not really.

What would happen if a Christian MP called for the end of the over indulgence of Muslims when they celebrate Eid?

I don't know if Nigel Keith Anthony Standish Vaz is a practising Christian, but he's from a Christian family via Goa.

The name Vaz is from Portugal.

What would happen if a Christian MP called for the end of the over indulgence of Muslims when they celebrate Eid

Just before you dig your hole too deep - Vaz isn't Muslim. As far as I know he's a non practicing Christian.

Yes but Coca-Cola have used their specific branding/advertising since the 1920's which will mean that for the vast majority of people in the world have known this for their entire life. Therefore its part of our culture.

Despite the fact he's not muslim and is not making this a muslim issue... Coca Cola is an American brand, so you're saying that it's part of 'OUR' culture, meaning that our culture is Americanised already. The USA is the biggest threat to our cuture and way of life and has been for decades with the import of fast food/coffee shop/department stores. That opposition to one of the biggest American brands is seen as attacking 'our culture' shows how deeply rooted America is in our culture and way of life.

If Coke is part of our culture then we need a new one. Bring on the immigrant invasion!

Despite the fact he's not muslim and is not making this a muslim issue... Coca Cola is an American brand, so you're saying that it's part of 'OUR' culture, meaning that our culture is Americanised already. The USA is the biggest threat to our cuture and way of life and has been for decades with the import of fast food/coffee shop/department stores. That opposition to one of the biggest American brands is seen as attacking 'our culture' shows how deeply rooted America is in our culture and way of life.

Do you also resent that say for example Indian food is a deeply ingrained part of our culture too now? Or is it just American things you don't like?

They hooked me young, and whilst I don't drink much coke, and certainly don't consider it a Christmastime drink, I get a tiny little buzz of nostalgia and excitement when I hear that 'holidays are comin', holidays are comin'...' refrain and see the red truck on the adverts. I had no idea that they'd actually started driving them around and presumably selling coke from them.

Edited by flamingjimmy

So it seems Mr Vaz wants to ban the Christmas coke truck from visiting Leicester this year. He claims it advocates the popular fizzy drink as OK, but says the drink has too much sugar and is a major cause of obesity and tooth decay.

Is he being a killjoy??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-34718933

I think we should have santas on Coke bikes.

Not entirely. Coke has been synonymous with Christmas for a long time. I remember having Fine Fare and Presto supermarket own brand pop through the year, then getting Coca Cola as a treat at Christmas.

The truck is a fairly recent addition to the fizzy pop giant, but still shouts Christmas every time the Holidays are Coming song comes on the telly.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 13:23 ----------

I think we should have santas on Coke bikes.

Now I wouldn't mind that, providing they use the cyclist paths :hihi::hihi:

Didn't Coca Cola create the stereotypical Santa we all know (red jacket, beard) or is that an urban myth?

Notwithstanding regrets link about the origins of Santa from St Nicholas etc the modern Santa old man with beard etc seems to have come from an illustration by cartoonist Thomas Nast for Harper’s Weekly beginning in 1863. Nast’s Santa owed much to the description given in Clement Clarke Moore’s 1822 poem “"A Visit from Saint Nicholas."”

Coke didnt start hijacking santa till 1931.

http://www.britannica.com/topic/Santa-Claus

I don't know if Nigel Keith Anthony Standish Vaz is a practising Christian, but he's from a Christian family via Goa.

The name Vaz is from Portugal.

My Bad, I assumed, as he had led a march of several thousand Muslims in Leicester calling for banning of the book The Satanic Verses that he was Muslim.

I have always thought he was a Muslim :shocked:

Ignore my stupid comment.