Jim Phipps post of Facebook

This was posted last night on Jimbo's Facebook page, worth a read.

I have upwards of 40 messages in my inbox, which this message is intended to address. I am sorry I cannot respond to all personally and I am sorry for the length of this missive.

Every Blade has his or her own view on the football so far this season. Some are patient. Some are not. Some teeter between hope and despair. And, frankly, given the inconsistency of the results, the diabolical nature of the competition in L1, the apparent weakness of the league this season ('it's there for the taking') and the fact that we have been in this league now for a fifth season (too say nothing of the environmental issues in the league such as the standard of officiating), the range of sentiments we are experiencing as a Blades family is all too understandable.

Personally, I think we -- the board, the management, the players, and the fans -- need to step it up, if we are going to get where we want to go this season: Automatic promotion. I am not blaming any one. I am just saying we all can do better.

In the spirit of taking responsibility for what I can take responsibility for on a personal level as your co-chairman, I thought I might take a minute to talk a little about what the board has done and is doing to improve matters.

I start by acknowledging that, we as a board are far from perfect. The board is, however, committed and continues to operate in a manner that allows the top football professionals we have at the Club (both on the touchline and in the front office) to make the core decisions about who wears the strip and how the football resources will be applied. Which positions do we need to strengthen? How quickly can we shrink the squad to a more rational, economical size, given the injury situation? What strength can we draw from our academy to serve the first team? Which players should be recruited and on what terms (loan, perm, price, etc.)? All such questions are left to our Technical Board (MD, Football Manager, FD, Academy Manager, etc.) to decide, provided they are within board approved budgets and other parameters.

That said, some of the current problems in the side (its size, for example) are byproducts of our trying as a board to be true to our approach, in circumstances where we allowed the Technical Board process to be thoroughly undermined by a gaffer, who was not interested in the process; hence, some of the excesses (recruiting in quantity, signing injured players, etc). We should have seen what was happening (the excesses, any way) and responded more quickly to address. Hindsight is 20:20. In appointing the new football manager, we specifically sought a gaffer who would help us re-establish a process that prevent the repetition of the same mistakes. I am very happy with the progress we have made on this particular and believe the fruits of the Technical Board process will show themselves over time, if we stick to the process.

On the football performance side, we have made a significant increase in the amount of communication between the board and the football management team. This has been very easy to accomplish owing to the open and communicative nature of the football management team. The amount of back and forth is healthy and the substance of the conversation is inspires confidence. For those who imagine that the gaffer's position is some how precarious or at risk, nothing could be further from the truth. Our confidence in Nigel Adkins is very high. We have the right man for the job. And the people he has brought with him are quality.

For those who have followed closely, you already know that, on the money front, HRH has, for his part, put in GBP 13 Million in the last 2.25 years, the most recent GBP 3 Million during the most recent close season. This capital injection has enabled the Club to do the things that enabled it to secure GBP 4 Million in cup winnings over the last two season (GBP 3 Million of which has been applied to first team football; and about GBP 1 million to Desso pitch at BDTBL and on new training pitches). The prince's investment has also allowed the Club to apply/allocate all (that's 100%) of the proceeds from player sales to first team football. In total, that's investment/re-investment of GBP 21 Million into the football club in a brief 2.25 year period. By L1 standards, that is a fairly substantial sum. (For those who imagine otherwise, the Club has not made a distribution of profits to owners, since we came in late Summer 2013, because the Club operates at a deficit year in and year out.)

During the months ahead, the owners plan to inject further monies into the club to ensure that the Club has every chance of achieving its goal of going up this season in the automatic positions. In all, investment/re-investment during the most recent three L1 season, including the current season, will top GBP 25 Million by season end.

We see Nigel Adkins and the team making progress. Perhaps the most important change so far is that we are playing every game to win. True, we are getting stung on the counter attack too frequently, and we're conceding goals too easily, but we are not setting ourselves up negatively for matches and the substitutions have consistently evidenced an intent to score. Are there issues still to be addressed? Yes. Do we have confidence that NA is the right person to address them? Absolutely.

At the board level, we love the Club. We back that up with substantial resources and an approach that leaves the footballing decisions to our very highly qualified, and carefully vetted front office and touchline professionals. We all want better performances and better results and they will come. Rome, however, wasn't built in a day. We see the problems. The gaffer sees what needs doing. We will get there.

- What do you think the board needs to do better to help the Club win promotion?

- What do you think management needs to do better to help the Club win promotion?

- What do you think the players need to do better to help the Club win promotion?

- What do you think the supporters can do better to help the Club win promotion?

Surely, we can all stretch a bit more to realise our shared goal. Let's talk to and about each other in a way that assumes that we all want the same thing and desire to do what's necessary to get there. We do not have to agree on everything, but we can safely assume we are in a common cause and talk to each other as friends, rather than as adversaries. Let's get united and be a strength to each other.

UP THE MIGHTY BLADES!

---------------------------

Opinions ? Very interesting read which is dividing opinions, think it's safe to say we now know why Clough got the boot and although I like how "open" Jim is, slagging the League and other L1 clubs off is not on.

I don't have much time for this bloke (he's the football equivalent of a spin doctor) so wont read through his lenghty missive, why did Clough get the boot?

I don't have much time for this bloke (he's the football equivalent of a spin doctor) so wont read through his lenghty missive, why did Clough get the boot?

Who cares if you don't have time for him ... Hes the most transparent chairman in football and sure he might tell us what we want to hear but in this day and age its refreshing unlike some of the chairman you lot have had over the years

You took the time to post so just read it. You might also see a few figures on the investment too ;)

Who cares if you don't have time for him ... Hes the most transparent chairman in football and sure he might tell us what we want to hear but in this day and age its refreshing unlike some of the chairman you lot have had over the years

See my comment about spin doctors. A few years ago you were all saying McCabe was the best chairman in football so I'll take the transparent comment with a pinch of salt.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 12:08 ----------

You took the time to post so just read it. You might also see a few figures on the investment too ;)

Again see my comment on spin doctors.

See my comment about spin doctors. A few years ago you were all saying McCabe was the best chairman in football so I'll take the transparent comment with a pinch of salt.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 12:08 ----------

Again see my comment on spin doctors.

You could have read the post by now.

I have taken the time to read it and its a lot of words to say very little, the monies bandied about in investment are all well and good but how much has been spent where it really matters - on the playing staff.

As you point out his comment about diabolical opposition (many of which are beating you) will no doubt be pinned up in many opposition changing rooms and give players an extra incentive for games.

I agree with tops ,those words will no doubt stir a few of your opposition up ,at least he has said summat unlike the other two who seem to have lost all interest in the club ,defend them if you like but I don't see how you can

A bit rich making Clough the scapegoat. The man that picked up the pieces after Weir, brought in £4m from cup runs and signed the next big money sale.

In all, investment/re-investment during the most recent three L1 season, including the current season, will top GBP 25 Million by season end.

£8.3m per season to build a champion league 1 side, with 3 seasons grace to do it.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that this is as difficult as it's made out to be. 8 signings per season at 1m each would be more than enough considering the quality of players in this league.

Ask him if the cleaners and some office staff are still getting the minimum wage from all the millions being spent.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 13:45 ----------

A bit rich making Clough the scapegoat. The man that picked up the pieces after Weir, brought in £4m from cup runs and signed the next big money sale.

Perhaps Nigel Clough would like to comment or see his solicitor .

No wonder you don't want to read it,there are facts and figures in there which you won't want to hear, about the owners backing.:D