How many mps should there be in westminster?

MPs do a lot of work for their constituents. If they didn't they would be voted out. Some have second jobs. This is a good thing, it keeps them in contact with the real world. If they run a business and employ people it would give them a better insight into business. If they happen to be a medic, they could do something useful part time and learn in real experiences.

Or their second job could be a minister of course.

according to the reports some constituencies in mining areas have seen an outflow of population and other new towns an influx. so the number of voters in some constituencies has altered drastically, and some mps represent twice the number of voters as others.

it is also reported that the boundary changes that would equalize the constituencies and reduce them to 600 would have given the tories a 50 overall majority at the last general election. i imagine that will alter some folks perception of mp numbers. anyhow it seems the process is already underway and set to report to the commons in 2018.

according to the reports some constituencies in mining areas have seen an outflow of population and other new towns an influx. so the number of voters in some constituencies has altered drastically, and some mps represent twice the number of voters as others.

it is also reported that the boundary changes that would equalize the constituencies and reduce them to 600 would have given the tories a 50 overall majority at the last general election. i imagine that will alter some folks perception of mp numbers. anyhow it seems the process is already underway and set to report to the commons in 2018.

Isn't this down to geography? Not sure how it would be logistically possible for an MP in The Western Isles or the Orkneys to have more voters in their constituency..

MPs do a lot of work for their constituents. If they didn't they would be voted out. Some have second jobs. This is a good thing, it keeps them in contact with the real world. If they run a business and employ people it would give them a better insight into business. If they happen to be a medic, they could do something useful part time and learn in real experiences.

Or their second job could be a minister of course.

Do you actually BELIEVE that, or are you just spouting some party line?

Since when has ANY MP been in touch with the real world? How many are on zero hour contracts on minimum wage, how many are relying on benefits to live?

I will give you a clue, the number has never ever got to one.

Since when has ANY MP been in touch with the real world? How many are on zero hour contracts on minimum wage, how many are relying on benefits to live?

genuine question..how many people in the "real world" are on ZHC?

do you think you have to be on a zero hour contract to represent your constituents?

do you think you have to be on a zero hour contract to represent your constituents?

I think it would get them closer to the real world than being on 70k plus expenses plus a second third and fourth job as a director or running own business on the side. How does THAT get them in touch with the "real" world?

After all everyone in the real world gets paid 70k a year dont they? :huh:

---------- Post added 07-10-2015 at 15:38 ----------

genuine question..how many people in the "real world" are on ZHC?

I dont know, but I DO know how of 650 that are on 70k plus expenses and they sure as hell have no knowledge of the real world

What do you base that on?

I guess you missed the recent policy debates at the Labour party conference?

MPs do a lot more than vote in the House. Reducing their numbers makes it harder for you and me to see our MP if we need to.

Then how come so many have other jobs?

Then how come so many have other jobs?

Alternative view: real-world jobs make them better MPs.

There are too many of them who have no experience of anything outside Westminster.

the boundary commission is set to report to parliament in 2018 about proposed boundary changes for the 2020 election. the idea being to equalise voter numbers in some constituencies. in places folk have moved away and in others new suburbs have led to huge discrepancies.

however one proposal is to cut the number of mps to 600 from 650. this seems to be in reponse to the allowances scandal, and in a way is quite odd. in 1983 to average constituency was around 65,000 voters and now it is 71,000. so to get back to the 65,000 we would need more mps not less.

what are your thoughts?

I do agree with this and found it puzzling why there seemed to be this sudden movement to lower the number of MP's. I also think a lot of it was because of the expenses scandal business that they wanted to lower the amount. It was like they wanted to hang 50 of the worst offenders, from the ramparts of the Palace of Westminster.

UK population and population density has gone up, not down.

Edited by blake

There is no 'right' number of MPs. However, let's start with the House of Commons chamber. How many does it seat at once?

Back to your question... I think we should increase the size of constituencies to say 125,000 to 150,000 and return 2 MPS for each one. One from a party list one by direct vote, and stagger the appointments so each gets elected once every six years, offset by three years.

no no no. That kind of thing is far too complicated. It's hard enough to get the plebs to go out to vote in the first place without confusing them with all that sort of nonsense. Leave it alone FFS.