Working on the oil rig? Questions.

Hello.

Im looking for someone who`s working on oil rigs and can answer few of my weird questions about everything and nothing :)

I prefer facebook chat but sheffieldforum is ok as well:)

Becouse im trying to get into the oil rigs i want to know a liitle bit more about few things.

1. Most of the contract are 2weeks on 2weeks off. Has anyody meet contract 2 months on 2 months off or similar period?

2. Are you working 7days 12h or u have one day off on oil rig?

3.Are you taking your own mug?:D ( i love coffe )

4. DO you have any brakes during your 12h shift? If yes how it is looking? Somebody coming to cover you on the brake or the whole team going? ( entry level positions )

5. Did you have any training offshore that shows you what are you gonna do and do you have some time to practise your skills.

6.I`ve heard there is no mistake policy. What is the cricital mistakes working as a Roustabout.

7. If i wanted to do some overtime ( lets say i want to stay another 2 weeks after my 2week contract ) who do i need to contact and is that possible?

If yes- is that means that after 2weeks overtime i need to stay 2weeks again on my normal shifts.? ( 2weeks-normal after that 2 weeks overtime and again 2 weeks normal ) Did you meet anybody doing that?

I`ve got a lot of questions in my head which i cannot find the answers on the internet.

Thanks you guys Jacob..

Edited by alternageek
removed text speak

Other important questions - I presume you are talking about offshore rigs and not onshore ones judging by the shift questions..

1. Can you swim

2. How much do you like noisy helicopters in a storm

3. Is the ditching training they give you going to make you nervous?

I can't tell you anything more about life on the rig as I never worked out there I used to visit to fix stuff and fly out usually same day (but had to do all the ditching training even so). It is very hard work I know that, no alcohol, but good pay.

xxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Nagel

Thank you very much. Another questions:

1. How often oil rigs doing drug tests ( im asking because im smoking few times a year and i don't wanna fail because of that ) ?

2. What was your first impression on the oil rig?

3. How many people sleeping in 1 room? And how you or somebody choosing them.

4. I`ve heard some of the oil rigs allows to smoke ( only in the certain area ) is that true?

Edited by alternageek
fixed text speak

xxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Nagel

Mod Note:

Please remember that the use of text speak is not allowed. Any further posts containing any more will be removed.

Thank you.

Hello.

Im looking for someone who`s working on oil rigs and can answer few of my weird questions about everything and nothing :)

I prefer facebook chat but sheffieldforum is ok as well:)

Becouse im trying to get into the oil rigs i want to know a liitle bit more about few things.

1. Most of the contract are 2weeks on 2weeks off. Has anyody meet contract 2 months on 2 months off or similar period?

2. Are you working 7days 12h or u have one day off on oil rig?

3.Are you taking your own mug?:D ( i love coffe )

4. DO you have any brakes during your 12h shift? If yes how it is looking? Somebody coming to cover you on the brake or the whole team going? ( entry level positions )

5. Did you have any training offshore that shows you what are you gonna do and do you have some time to practise your skills.

6.I`ve heard there is no mistake policy. What is the cricital mistakes working as a Roustabout.

7. If i wanted to do some overtime ( lets say i want to stay another 2 weeks after my 2week contract ) who do i need to contact and is that possible?

If yes- is that means that after 2weeks overtime i need to stay 2weeks again on my normal shifts.? ( 2weeks-normal after that 2 weeks overtime and again 2 weeks normal ) Did you meet anybody doing that?

I`ve got a lot of questions in my head which i cannot find the answers on the internet.

Thanks you guys Jacob..

A relative of mine was thinking about going on the oil rigs but was told it was six months on the rigs, which put him off also he got promotion at work so changed his mind. There is a course you can do which I was the told they will only employ people who have been on the course. The course two years ago was two thousand pounds. It might be worth checking to see if the information is correct.

Good luck.

In the North sea the rotas are 2/2 2/3 if you're lucky now!, 3/3 - some with 2 weeks holidays. BP Core crew do 3/4/3/5

12 hour shifts every day

food, drink, and cutlery supplied!

The amount of breaks depend on what you do, and also which platform you find yourself on

Training offshore is generally very good, but again, depends on your trade and where you are

You can do an extra week, but not a 6 week straight run in the North Sea,

You'll need MIST training (minimal industry standard) and Offshore survival before stepping on a chopper.

There's been drastic cutbacks in the last 18 months.

In my opinion, the drilling side rather than the production side is harder work, and more intense

There's no jobs on rigs available now due to the low oil price.

65,000 people have lost their jobs in the UK North Sea in the last couple of years and the remaining workers have mostly had a pay cut of 20-30%.

The rate of job losses has been compared to one big steelworks closing every week, yet it remains largely unreported because the UK oil industry is a closed world that few people know about.

There was a strike last week in protest at the pay cuts and deteriorating conditions, the first strike in 30 years. There's another 48 hour stoppage planned for next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-36888514