The Wicker/spitall hill

That district already had £50m to try and pull it round.

£50m... :o I'd love to see where/how that was spent.

If your talking like that, nobody's safe anywhere.

and nobody can ensure anything

ps your a right advert for the place arnt you.

My thoughts exactly. I have never felt unsafe in the area.

Its the people that make it a dump and and if you polish a turd its still a turd

You sound like a nice person, though.

£50m... :o I'd love to see where/how that was spent.

between you and me so would the government:huh:

I walk down the Wicker quite regularly and I never feel like I'm in danger but the place does make me feel slightly uneasy. I make sure my phone and wallet are secure etc... I'm not sure what it is about it...

I will say this though, if you take a good look at the place, it actually has some serious potential. The paths are wide, there's some nice benches, a few trees and I think that huge bridge you go under right by Savile street is really pretty.

Those things are under all the filth though.

The paths are full of rubbish and the bins overflowing but this is bound to happen in an area with so many takeaways. It would be nice if the businesses could take some responsibility and maybe pick up a bit of litter outside their shops? Fair enough this might be seen as the councils job but every Sheffielder knows we can't rely on the council for anything.

People make a place as well. It seems to be loitered with groups of people (or gangs, however you want to phrase it) constantly. Doesn't matter whether its chavy teenagers, drunks or druggies (as some others have mentioned, I've also witnessed drug taking in broad day light) and this can be quite intimidating.

It's a little rough but maybe a few nice shops, a bit of a clean and get some unthreatening looking folks to walk through and we might have a lovely area?

I live in burngreave,have done since 72.Never felt threatened or afraid treat people as you wish to be treated.Think the immigrants need to be distributed round Sheffield though,say Dore and Totley instead of putting them in one area.

Indeed

I wonder if there is anything that could be done to turn this area around or will it always now be a complete dump?

And where did that money go exactly

In all seriousness, if you filled the area with young professionals or students it would soon change

I will say this though, if you take a good look at the place, it actually has some serious potential. The paths are wide, there's some nice benches, a few trees and I think that huge bridge you go under right by Savile street is really pretty.

On that note - it may come as unwelcome news to many of the good residents and business owners in the Wicker and Spital Hill areas, but in the unlikely event of High Speed 2 actually coming through Sheffield via Victoria, you can fully expect massive gentrification of both areas!!

Actually, in the case of the Wicker, HS2 or not, there is already a creeping development of offices and apartment blocks if you look at the eastern side of the Wicker by the river, and the Riverside complex along millsands. More pertinently, there is at least one firm proposal for flats on the area between the wicker and nursery street (this particular one is behind the old coroners court), and I hear wind of several other proposals. I imagine that whole triangle of land between Wicker, Nursery St and the ring road will slowly succumb to redevelopment over the next decade or so, high speed rail or not.

I walk down the Wicker quite regularly and I never feel like I'm in danger but the place does make me feel slightly uneasy. I make sure my phone and wallet are secure etc... I'm not sure what it is about it...

The paths are full of rubbish and the bins overflowing but this is bound to happen in an area with so many takeaways. It would be nice if the businesses could take some responsibility and maybe pick up a bit of litter outside their shops? Fair enough this might be seen as the councils job but every Sheffielder knows we can't rely on the council for anything.

People make a place as well. It seems to be loitered with groups of people (or gangs, however you want to phrase it) constantly. Doesn't matter whether its chavy teenagers, drunks or druggies (as some others have mentioned, I've also witnessed drug taking in broad day light) and this can be quite intimidating.

It's a little rough but maybe a few nice shops, a bit of a clean and get some unthreatening looking folks to walk through and we might have a lovely area?

I drive down the Wicker/Stanley Street at about 5am for work, the rubbish overflowing from bins or litter which is from take away boxes with food still in them is a disgrace.

my point exactly.

I live in burngreave,have done since 72.Never felt threatened or afraid treat people as you wish to be treated.Think the immigrants need to be distributed round Sheffield though,say Dore and Totley instead of putting them in one area.

What like the ethnic minorities living around Sharrow, Abbeydale, Healey, Fir Vale, Firth Park, Tinsley, Attercliffe, Parson Cross, Shirecliffe, High Green......

They are far from being in "one area".

What like the ethnic minorities living around Sharrow, Abbeydale, Healey, Fir Vale, Firth Park, Tinsley, Attercliffe, Parson Cross, Shirecliffe, High Green......

They are far from being in "one area".

How about get them into fulwood and dore

How about get them into fulwood and dore

There may well be some in Fulwood and Dore. I don't know. I haven't studied the census.

I expect, as a large proportion of ethinic minorities live in rented or social housing and Fulwood and Dore are predominantly private owned properties, that could be a reason why you don't APPEAR to be see as many.

What is the point you are trying to make? Why are you so obsessed with these particular areas.

They are people just like me and you. They move where they choose to move to. Why should we have to "get them" anywhere. They are not some pile of dirt that should be shooed away into a corner out of sight.

Edited by ECCOnoob