Women only train carriages

do you agree with women-only carriages  

91 members have voted

1. 1. do you agree with women-only carriages

• Yes
    • No

do you think a lot of these crimes are made up? Genune question.

A lot? Who knows but its doubtful. Some? Maybe, its possible.

What i do know is that 0% of men i know have assaulted a women so your 'up to 30%' is nonsensical.

The reasons why a sex attacker might feel safer committing his crimes on train carriages are fairly obvious. However, mixed sex carriages have been around for a long time and therefore don't explain the 25% increase in reported attacks. The reason for the increase must be:

1. More women are reporting offences
  2. More men don't respect women

It is probably a bit of both. The first is a good thing because if we can't see a problem then we can't fix it. The second is a bad thing and begs the question... what has changed socially for us to suddenly find we have more men who don't respect women and therefore more women being attacked? What is the root cause of the increase?

I genuinely think it's because people have realised they can get away with it. Same as bad driving on the roads or illegal parking or loud noise etc. People seem to have become selfish and only stop being so when forced or fear of consequences. Find a way to make these people suffer more consequences and these assaults will almost certainly start to drop. Easier said than done though...how are you going to catch a brush of someones behind on a busy train? Education of women is needed as well I think to give more confidence in standing up and not accepting this kind of behaviour. Another poster further up said she felt it was almost normal now to be groped, well it's not so everyone (men and women) need to start acting like it's not ok.

To answer the poll, no I don't think it's a good idea for women only carriages, but unless something else changes it might be the only way to help protect women from sexual assaults in this way. I'd much prefer education and changing of values over segregation.

It was a survey by Mumsnet and the most likley people to respond to a survey about sexual assault are people that have been sexually assaulted.

You should pay a visit to mumsnet then. Familiarise yourself with some of the rabid man haters on there lol

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 12:21 ----------

Its not a claim. ive just reported figures and drew a conclusion. If you have a better source im all ears!

Your 30% is a claim and an exaggerated one at that.

But only 1/3 surveyed said they had been sexually assaulted. So how do you come to that conclusion?

Today, Mumsnet has 4.3 million unique users a month, posting upwards of 35,000 messages a day.

If only 1% of users have have been sexually assaulted and you conduct a survey about sexual assault, there are 43000 people that have been sexually assaulted that could respond and 4,257,000 that haven't that could respond.

If only 1600 people respond then any finding is meaningless because the 1600 respondents are more likley to have belonged to the minority group.

A lot? Who knows but its doubtful. Some? Maybe, its possible.

What i do know is that 0% of men i know have assaulted a women so your 'up to 30%' is nonsensical.

Do you think if they had assaulted women, children etc they would say?

Today, Mumsnet has 4.3 million unique users a month, posting upwards of 35,000 messages a day.

If only 1% of users have have been sexually assaulted and you conduct a survey about sexual assault, there are 43000 people that have been sexually assaulted that could respond and 4,257,000 that haven't that could respond.

If only 1600 people respond then any finding is meaningless because the 1600 respondents are more likley to have belonged to the minority group.

Self selecting bias.

It's not a cross sectional sample, because people who have been assaulted are more likely to respond than those who haven't.

You should pay a visit to mumsnet then. Familiarise yourself with some of the rabid man haters on there lol

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 12:21 ----------

Your 30% is a claim and an exaggerated one at that.

I didnt claim 30%. I said UP TO!!!!