Dead mans handle

I believe that they have man's handles on trains. In the light of the Scotland bin lorry crash and now a single-decker bus being driven out of control into a house; would it be practical to have a dead mans handle/switch on other vehicles?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lewisham-police-called-out-to-bus-driven-into-a-house-after-route-484-hits-wall-in-south-london-10460321.html

I guess this technology is best suited to trains, being on a track so wont veer off course and a reasonable gap between trains. Imagine this in a vehicle on a road should the steering lock, what if it was turning at the time? Is it a safety feature too much, one school of thought suggests air bags can do more harm than good, same for seat belts. You can make a car as safe as possible, but you can't predict the actions of billions of drivers.

I believe that they have man's handles on trains. In the light of the Scotland bin lorry crash and now a single-decker bus being driven out of control into a house; would it be practical to have a dead mans handle/switch on other vehicles?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lewisham-police-called-out-to-bus-driven-into-a-house-after-route-484-hits-wall-in-south-london-10460321.html

Next time you're in a car, ask the driver to drive and particularly turn a corner without taking his hand of the gear stick.

Even with modern cars having flippers on the steering wheel to change gears etc. You could have a simple pad on the back of the seat , that in the Unforeseen eventuality a driver slumps forward while the vehicle is in motion! it automatically applies the brake and turns the engine off.

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 23:33 ----------

Just a thought simple is always best I should patent that idea!

Even with modern cars having flippers on the steering wheel to change gears etc. You could have a simple pad on the back of the seat , that in the Unforeseen eventuality a driver slumps forward while the vehicle is in motion! it automatically applies the brake and turns the engine off.

You mean like when the driver leans forward to adjust the air vent? :huh:

You mean like when the driver leans forward to adjust the air vent? :huh:

That is why I said when in motion!!! You should not be messing about with anything when the vehicle is in motion!

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 23:40 ----------

When you take your driving test do you set mirrors etc before moving off or when going along the road?!?

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 23:42 ----------

Should I put my lipstick on before going to work or when I am in the car on my way to work?

That is why I said when in motion!!! You should not be messing about with anything when the vehicle is in motion!

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 23:40 ----------

When you take your driving test do you set mirrors etc before moving off or when going along the road?!?

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 23:42 ----------

Should I put my lipstick on before going to work or when I am in the car on my way to work?

OK, so if I sneeze and reach for a tissue? What happens then when my back moves forward from the seat?

OK, so if I sneeze and reach for a tissue? What happens then when my back moves forward from the seat?

Ok this is not dragons den… lol Lets say my hypothetical idea has a three second delay, this will allow for people that fidget , straighten their back etc etc. More than 3 seconds or so, the car will presume you have slumped forward and going to die.

Ok this is not dragons den… lol Lets say my hypothetical idea has a three second delay, this will allow for people that fidget , straighten their back etc etc. More than 3 seconds or so, the car will presume you have slumped forward and going to die.

When we all come with tech included, a monitor could be included in blue tooth ear pieces, or maybe just an implant :hihi:

It would need to be able to detect more than just a pulse.