What is the max USB storage an Android phone will recognize?

goldenfleece

I tried connecting a 64GB USB3 mem stick to my phone with an OTG lead, it was not recognized at all. However my phone recognizes and writes to an older 4GB USB stick with the same lead. Just wondering does Android (Sony Xperia Z3) support USB3 mem sticks or just not wanna recognize larger USB sticks? Any idea what is the max it will work with?

Usually depends on the phone and on the stick, there's no hard and fast rule on what will and won't work.

My phone (Z1) happily chugs along with a 64GB SD card inside.

The maximum size of SD card and maximum size of USB storage are two totally different things though.

I do not believe there should be any limit on USB storage whereas SD depends on which version of SD is supported.

• 2 weeks later...
The maximum size of SD card and maximum size of USB storage are two totally different things though.

I do not believe there should be any limit on USB storage whereas SD depends on which version of SD is supported.

There is a limit on the size of SD card that certain Android Phones can support. Mine's about 4 years old and won't support anything larger than 32GB. As far as I'm aware, only very new phones will support the whopper 128GB microSD card. You can still use them, but can only use limited capacity (i.e. I could only use 32GB of a 64GB card)

Like I said, it depends on which version of the SD specification your phone supports.

SD = up to 2GB

SDHC = up to 32GB

SDXC = up to 2TB (but currently maxes out at 200GB on microSD due to physical limitations fitting more storage in the chip)

It sounds like you bought one of those unofficial and completely against the SD specification, 64GB SDHC cards. That would explain why your phone only sees half as they are a dirty hack to try and force double the space on a device that "technically" isn't meant to support it. I'm fairly sure phones supported SDHC cannot even see an SDXC card at all, not even half.

It may also be you bought a fake 64GB card that is actually indeed only 32GB. In which case you are lucky it worked at all.

But as already pointed out, this thread was not about SD cards at all, its about USB storage. USB storage should not be limited at all.

Edited by AlexAtkin

the LG G3 was stated to be able to take 2TB if there were cards available, but at the time the maximum tried was 128Gb

in regards to the usb side, it depends on the phone and cable - some cables do not work properly - but i'm running kingston micro usb 64gb attached to a OTG cable (which also works for my Windows Tablet and allows the use of xbox controller) on my samsun tab 3 - i did have another OTG cable that would not work

as for the limit on the usb side, it also depends on the controller, drivers and format of the disk for it to be read successfully

Edited by walkerx