Extreme weather thread - Summer 2015

As above the edge of the band has just hit Barnsley/Penistone area, I reckon 30 mins we'll all be outside thanking the rain gods ;)

As above the edge of the band has just hit Barnsley/Penistone area, I reckon 30 mins we'll all be outside thanking the rain gods ;)

Hope you are right!

I've sat with the blinds and window open and it's gone a dark grey and the wind have picked up. It's DEFINITELY about to rain (Met office still sticking with no rain as we speak).

I've sat with the blinds and window open and it's gone a dark grey and the wind have picked up. It's DEFINITELY about to rain (Met office still sticking with no rain as we speak).

It's just started to rain with me! Hope it helps cool off. The wind did get up pretty fast as well.

This front stretches all the way to mid-Wales so it should be patchy but we'll catch some rain over the next 4 hours.

It has been spitting and occasionally showering in S3 so far but I'm hoping for something more significant to cool the air down before I play football later!

Any chance of thunder ? I see the North Sea is taking a right battering right now. Last night the Bay of Biscay was an amazing light show.

Any chance of thunder ? I see the North Sea is taking a right battering right now. Last night the Bay of Biscay was an amazing light show.

Virtually nil. There is a great storm in the North Sea approaching Holland and there's a few flashes in Orpington/Maidstone, but nothing up North tonight.

God it's sooo much fresher tonight than it was last night.

What did they say it was, the hottest July day on record or something?

God it's sooo much fresher tonight than it was last night.

What did they say it was, the hottest July day on record or something?

That is correct - both nationally and locally.

In Sheffield it was 32.4c at the hottest, which is slightly higher than the 31.8c that was the previous highest. Surprising because it was only the first day in July and historically the start is cooler than the end.

The warmest ever top temps since reliable records began was a day in August where the mercury was up at 34.3c and I wouldn't think we'll top that this year but we might well push it close, with the El Nino event in the Pacific driving the Jet Stream northwards, this won't be the only time we get very hot and humid weather this summer, and hopefully we'll get to see the big thunderstorms next time too.

I was so disappointed last night, if you drew two circles from Ponds Forge, one 20 miles and one 50 miles out, then the spectacular storm passed right through the middle of those rings to our SW, W, NW, N and NE.

Close but no cigar, as they say!

Ladies and Gents. There are two weather fronts which are set to clash between midnight tonight and 6am tomorrow. (Friday and Saturday).

The likelihood is that after another warm day today - with warm humid air being pulled up from the continent - the arrival of a low pressure front will create quite a dazzling storm.

Expect there to be thunder, lightening, torrential rain, hailstones, gusty winds and the rest. It's the type of clash in the skies that gives the USA all it's hurricanes in the mid-west, though clearly we don't ever get THAT much energy in our the skies.

Where will be affected the worst is unclear but the entire North of England is in the firing line and I'm reasonably certain Sheffield will get some.

Don't leave your washing out!

Edited by TheTwirler
typo.

Ladies and Gents. There are two weather fronts which are set to clash between midnight tonight and 6am tomorrow. (Friday and Saturday).

The likelihood is that after another warm day today - with warm humid air being pulled up from the continent - the arrival of a low pressure front will create quite a dazzling storm.

Expect there to be thunder, lightening, torrential rain, hailstones, gusty winds and the rest. It's the type of clash in the skies that gives the USA all it's hurricanes in the mid-west, though clearly we don't ever get THAT much energy in our the skies.

Where will be affected the worst is unclear but the entire North of England is in the firing line and I'm reasonably certain Sheffield will get some.

Don't leave your washing out!

Hope so, Im wanting to film a light show. ?

Ugh has to be in the night and not in the day. Darn weather..