Will GP prescribe something for flying fear?

when our kids were younger at a time when we all used to go away together, I used to say "If the plane's gonna crash at least we all die together". Let's look at it like this, you're strapped in an aluminium can 7 miles in the air, with an outer skin approx 3mm thick and 2 great jet engines bolted to it, what could possibly go wrong!!

After getting a little bit poorly on a flight a few years back, I've developed a totally irational fear of flying. My kids are missing out. It's not fair on them and so Ive taken the bull by the horns and booked us a holiday. However I keep thinking about sitting in that seat and waiting for take off.....I break out in a sweat, feel sick, My heart races, feel like I need the toilet, my chest hurts and then I start with the trembles. (And this is just imagining it) so how am I going to react in the real situation.

Will Dr's still prescribe some kind of relaxant in order to fly? Am I wasting my time making an appointment? Anyone in the same situation?

You're not alone. http://ifap.blogsport.de/images/plane.png

I am a GP (initials of glenn pickard) and I spent about 25 years flying aircraft in various parts of the world. All my passengers survived , not so much as a scratch !

Yes you can probably get a sedative from a GP that will last the few hours you are on board the aircraft. Try it. But remember this. Very few people die on board commercial aircraft. Millions fly every year and no Sheffielders are lost ! Most are lost in third world countries with third world airlines. Again, Sheffielders don't fit.

UK pilots are some of the best trained in the world, up there with Canadians, Australians and Americans. Always remember they want to get to their destination in one piece just like you do ! And they do.

Turbulence sometimes scares passengers but it should n't. Hot air rises and cold air falls, and where the aircraft passes through an area where these two systems contact each other, the aircraft gets a little shudder. But it always returns to its previous position, which is straight & level flight

Take the kids flying, they will be thrilled. You will not be hurt. Have a beer or a glass of wine(or two). You will enjoy yourself !

Just get drunk in the airport, fall asleep on the flight. Job done.
Then they'll just chuck you out of their country and send you home on the next plane back:hihi:

Fear of flying is common but irrational, I can't think of a single injury cause by flying. Landing ..................................................... now that's the game changer!:D

totally irational fear

No such thing as an irrational fear. If something scares you, it scares you. It's only irrational to people that are not scared by the same thing.

Anyway, back to a solution...

I would go for the "get drunk" or at least enough to build a bit of Dutch Courage. The GP probably would give you something if the first option isn't for you.

They don't boot you out of the airport for being a bit drunk. They out you for being hammered and a pain in the arse towards other passengers and staff.

Whatever you decide, i'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh and can you bring me a stick of rock back... and don't give the the old chestnut that "they don't sell it where i'm going" :hihi:

I used to get anxious about flying and used to have a bit to drink before flying. I was one of those who you hope isn't sat next to you. Realised that alcohol increased my anxieties now fly sober and no problems. Still glad to land though. My OH falls asleep taxiing!!(

After getting a little bit poorly on a flight a few years back, I've developed a totally irational fear of flying. My kids are missing out. It's not fair on them and so Ive taken the bull by the horns and booked us a holiday. However I keep thinking about sitting in that seat and waiting for take off.....I break out in a sweat, feel sick, My heart races, feel like I need the toilet, my chest hurts and then I start with the trembles. (And this is just imagining it) so how am I going to react in the real situation.

Will Dr's still prescribe some kind of relaxant in order to fly? Am I wasting my time making an appointment? Anyone in the same situation?

I understand exactly how you feel and after suffering on a number of flights and it getting to the point of spoiling my holidays due to the fear of coming back I went to see my GP and he prescribed me Lorazepam.

I was unsure what to expect and he absolutely insisted that I take no more than 4 in a 24 hour period and at least 4 hours between each tablet, so I took one when I got up on the morning of the flight, then one when we got to the gate and I was completely chilled out all the way. We actually had a really bumpy landing due to high winds back in Manchester on our return and my other half was terrified and gripping the seat in front and I was very calm about the whole thing.

I now have them for every flight, and although I know the fear is irrational and endless people feel the need to tell you useless statistics about flying it doesn't stop my fear and I don't see it going away, so what's the harm in a couple of tablets each way which allow me to fully enjoy my holidays again.

Good luck and I hope your GP helps you out.

I WAS flying to Tunisia....

Suddenly the flight is insignificant!!!

No such thing as an irrational fear. If something scares you, it scares you. It's only irrational to people that are not scared by the same thing.

Anyway, back to a solution...

I would go for the "get drunk" or at least enough to build a bit of Dutch Courage. The GP probably would give you something if the first option isn't for you.

They don't boot you out of the airport for being a bit drunk. They out you for being hammered and a pain in the arse towards other passengers and staff.

Whatever you decide, i'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh and can you bring me a stick of rock back... and don't give the the old chestnut that "they don't sell it where i'm going" :hihi:

Be careful about that not being kicked off for being drunk. Southwest Airlines is a terrific outfit with great safety record and reasonable prices, but they won't let you aboard if you've had a couple too many, and they limit how many you have aboard. The rule is if you don't like it don't fly with them. They have no problem getting sober business, and they fly everywhere in the US only on 737s which suits me fine.