Disabled parking

OK, here goes. My definitions will not cover all situations, but it will get you most of the way.

You may park on double yellow lines, but NOT over a dropped kerb, on a clearway during the hours of operation or anywhere that is causing a hazard or blocking anything for other road users. You need to put the badge with the expiry date and badge number upwards (not the side with your name) and use the clock set at the time of your arrival- you get up to 3 hours.

A particular point to make in Sheffield is that roads which adjoin anywhere with tram tracks have extensions of the permanent clearway that is part of the tram tracks covering the junction and up to the 'end of clearway' signs. This is enforced every day of the week (including Sundays) and you may NOT park on this area with a blue badge.

On street parking you may park for free with your blue badge for up to 3 hours unless you're in an area where the council have applied special rules to charge for disabled parking. If they have done this then it will be stated on the parking restrictions signs alongside the area.

Places on-street where you may not park include:

loading areas and zones

anywhere with a 'no loading' sign or during the hours of operation of the sign

taxi ranks

motorcycle parking spaces

anywhere with a dropped kerb

residents' parking bays/spaces (but you may park on the double yellow lines surrounding these, as long as there are no other reasons why you may not park there)

crossing/school entrance zig zag lines

alongside a double white line where you're forcing passing vehicles to cross the centre line

As for car parks, the answer will be on the charges board. Council car parks are usually free, but occasionally you'll find one with the charges applied or one where you can only not pay if you are also in their provided disabled bays. Private car parks can apply the rules as they decide- they are under no obligation to offer free parking.

For instance, there are free parking spots around the Hallamshire hospital, but if you go into the multi-storey car park and into their disabled bays in there, you have to pay standard charges even when displaying your badge.

If in doubt, park only where you KNOW you are permitted to park, display your clock (set correctly) and read restrictions carefully if you're going to park elsewhere :)

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

you can use on street parking bays (where you would normally need to pay and display) without time limit (unless there is a time limit stated) .....such as pond st , you only need to display your badge , you do not need to display the clock & can stay there all day if you like , there are many places like this - but on norfolk st & surrounding streets with bays you are limited to , i think , 3 hrs but as a general rule most council on street pay & display bays there is no limit , not 100% sure but i think this only applies in sheffield

Edited by Ivan Spatula

Well most of that is correct.

However in Sheffield I've been told by a parking warden that Disabled Badges can park in Loading Bays and Permit Holders only bays for 3 hours with the badge and clock displayed.

The parking warden was either incorrect or voicing a minority opinion which is legally unenforceable I'm afraid, and you risk getting a parking ticket if you do park in a loading bay or permit holder bay. The one and only parking ticket I've ever had was from parking in a loading bay (with verbal permission from a parking warden) and was issued by the other warden who was talking to him at the time. I appealed and was turned down.

Well most of that is correct.

However in Sheffield I've been told by a parking warden that Disabled Badges can park in Loading Bays and Permit Holders only bays for 3 hours with the badge and clock displayed.

And i have been find for parking in permit holders only in Blackpool.