Two party system

Red is the seat each party got, orange is the number of seats they would have got under a fair system if everyone voted the same which is unlikely, people will have a bigger incentive to vote and they will very likley vote for the party they want and not vote tactically.

The Liberal Democrats would have got even more votes, they may even have got more than the two main parties.

No because the two parties represent the majority and the majority don't want democracy to be fair.

In 2010 the Tories won an English majority with 298 seats, Labour came second with 191 seats and Libdems third with 43 seats, if you don't want Tories in power you should be thanking the Scottish and welsh.

The alternative vote referendum 2011 was the first step in bringing in PR and it was turned down by a large majority of the population (67.9%).

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 12:22 ----------

I would consider that to be an adverse side effect but at least it would be fair. :D

The averse effect is the BNP MP's :o

The alternative vote referendum 2011 was the first step in bringing in PR and it was turned down by a large majority of the population (67.9%).

I don't think it can be compared to PR, but I can understand why some voters don't want a fair system.

In my opinion a fair system is one in which every vote counts.

One in which the number of MP's per party is proportionally represented by the total number of votes each party receives.

---------- Post added 27-04-2015 at 07:40 ----------

Conservative ...............................307 -- 10,726,614 ............ 234

Labour .......................................258 -- 8,609,527 ..............188

Liberal Democrat ..........................57 -- 6,836,824 ................149

Democratic Unionist Party............. 8 -- 168,216 ....................4

Scottish National Party .................6 -- 491,386 ....................11

Sinn Fein ....................................5 -- 171,942 ....................4

Plaid Cymru ...............................3 -- 165,394 ....................4

Social Democratic & Labour Party ..3 -- 110,970 ....................3

Green ........................................1 -- 285,616 ....................6

Alliance Party ..............................1 -- 42,762 ....................1

UK Independence Party ..............0 -- 919,546 ....................20

British National Party ...................0 -- 564,331 ....................12

Turnout 29,691,380

After 650 of 650 seats declared.

Red is the seat each party got, orange is the number of seats they would have got under a fair system if everyone voted the same which is unlikely, people will have a bigger incentive to vote and they will very likley vote for the party they want and not vote tactically.

I see, so stuff is only fair if it's balanced in your favour?

Most of the electorate need help in putting their x in the correct box, Cameron and his mates want to keep power, so they did not help.

I would like to see a more proportional method of putting MPs into parliament than the one we have, but all methods have limitations. However, I think the one offered then was particularly poor.