Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Im just contributing to the "Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?" thread.

Cyclists use the roads so should pay for the privilege to use them like everyone else.

Thats my opinion.

But neither you nor anyone else pay extra on top of general taxation, for the 'privilege' of using the roads on a bicycle

You CHOOSE not to use that 'privilege'

Your choice. No complaint.

if I rode my bicycle on the pavement, would I be exempt?

You would be breaking the law

<sits back and waits>

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 10:08 ----------

Im just contributing to the "Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?" thread.

Cyclists use the roads so should pay for the privilege to use them like everyone else.

Thats my opinion.

I think that there should be some kind of certificate of competance to indicate that they are safe to be on the road. How that is managed and costed im sure would be worked out

I think that there should be some kind of certificate of competance to indicate that they are safe to be on the road. How that is managed and costed im sure would be worked out

So you mean every cyclist should have a certificate to say they have undergone a course teaching them that they should be doing things like cycling in primary position?

Barrier to cycling, increases danger, etc, etc...

But neither you nor anyone else pay extra on top of general taxation, for the 'privilege' of using the roads on a bicycle

You CHOOSE not to use that 'privilege'

Your choice. No complaint.

I drive a car but i also have a motorcycle that i get to use maybe once a month when i take it out on a Sunday into the peak district.

I still pay my £17 road tax as its the law obviously, but i dont mind paying the £17. I actually think the fee is quite low.

If cyclist want to roads that require traffic lights, box junctions, cycle lanes, bus lanes, zebra crossings, speed cameras etc etc.....why shouldnt they contribute a small fee?

I drive a car but i also have a motorcycle that i get to use maybe once a month when i take it out on a Sunday into the peak district.

I still pay my £17 road tax as its the law obviously, but i dont mind paying the £17. I actually think the fee is quite low.

If cyclist want to roads that require traffic lights, box junctions, cycle lanes, bus lanes, zebra crossings, speed cameras etc etc.....why shouldnt they contribute a small fee?

Your mistake is in thinking that the £17 fee that you pay has anything at all to do with providing the facilities that you ride your motorbike on.

OK - a little education here:

1) Roads and all the bits & pieces that come with the roads are paid for out of general taxation (income tax, VAT, corporation tax, capital gains etc etc) - Everybody pays these taxes regardless of their chosen method of transport.

2) Road tax does not exist (not since the 1930s)

3) Vehicle Excise Duty is paid for vehicles that pollute. Hence why low emissions cars, electric cars, horses, bicycles and other non-polluting road users do not pay Vehicle Excise Duty.

4) The majority of cyclists are also drivers.

So tell me again why cyclists should have to pay to use the roads that they have already paid for?

Your mistake is in thinking that the £17 fee that you pay has anything at all to do with providing the facilities that you ride your motorbike on.

Where does it come from then? Just because taxes are no longer explicitly ringfenced does not mean VED does not contribute to road maintenance funds.

Where does it come from then? Just because taxes are no longer explicitly ringfenced does not mean VED does not contribute to road maintenance funds.

Have you read achorste's post, right above this?

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 11:49 ----------

Do you also think that pedestrians should contribute a small fee for pelican and zebra crossings, since they are the ones who benefit from them?

I think this thread has conclusively answered its own questions as to why people dont think that cyclists have the same rights to use the roads as people who pay road tax and have animosity towards them.

I suggested a £7 per year fee (2p per day) would give cyclists an equal voice on transport in the eyes of drivers but would also contribute towards the bigger picture.