Food banks not being used properly

not just gordon though, blair; major, thatcher, regan and a host of other leaders all decided to let the banks 'regulate' themselves.

Food banks have been around for a long time..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_in_the_United_Kingdom

I'm not sure what the op's point is it's hardly any kind of revelation that somebody might be abusing charity.

I got the impression that you are trying to downplay their importance or necessity by highlighting a few bad apples.

Going off the thread subject a little I'm intrigued to know what gave you this impression?

Can anyone give any examples of people who need foodbanks on a regular basis that wasn't either a problem with their benefits or a self inflicted substance abuse situation as described by the OP.

Going off the thread subject a little I'm intrigued to know what gave you this impression?

You don't have to look very far to find right wing journalists getting their substantial pay checks from their bosses to write things like this:

Rod Liddle wonders why there so many fat people in pictures of food banks, and that they should at least have the good grace to look skeletal (http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9398362/why-are-there-so-many-fat-people-in-pictures-of-food-banks/)

Senior figures in the Government claim that food banks are 'emotionally manipulative publicity seeking' (Not at all like politicians :roll:) (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606573/Food-bank-charity-misleading-public-Claim-1m-need-food-parcels-just-self-promotion.html)

Talking of publicity seeking....Katie Hopkins, thinks that food bank users are like terminal cancer patients, and food banks exist 'because we are feeding the dirty habits of people perfectly happy to live a life on the take'. (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/katie-hopkins/food-bank-real-reason-use-has-trebled_b_4121733.html)

Leo McKinstry of the Express blames Gordon Brown's introduction of tax credits to help people in low paid employment, as well as immigrants (http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/leo-mckinstry/544984/Leo-McKinstry-criticises-Archbishop-Justin-Welby-food-banks)

...I guess when so much mud is being thrown in the public arena, some of it is bound to stick....

There was one woman highlighted in the Star a while ago who looks after 2 grandchildren full time.

She was using a food bank and yet stated that she was saving her family allowance so she could take the children on holiday. Her income from benefits = £70 a week job seekers’ allowance and £111 a week child tax credits.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/soaring-demand-for-sheffield-food-banks-as-benefit-cuts-bite-1-5585369

Is this another of those threads about someone getting something that someone else isn't getting? I always thought that stupid people said that it is the left who practise the politics of envy. Obviously not.

There was one woman highlighted in the Star a while ago who looks after 2 grandchildren full time.

She was using a food bank and yet stated that she was saving her family allowance so she could take the children on holiday. Her income from benefits = £70 a week job seekers’ allowance and £111 a week child tax credits.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/soaring-demand-for-sheffield-food-banks-as-benefit-cuts-bite-1-5585369

Good for her looking after her 2 grandchildren. If they were placed in care it'd cost the tax payer a fortune....

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 16:00 ----------

Is this another of those threads about someone getting something that someone else isn't getting? I always thought that stupid people said that it is the left who practise the politics of envy. Obviously not.

I know, and the sad thing is all these people pouring hate on food bank users like Katie Hopkins and Rod Liddle would turn their noses up at the food stored by such banks. It's things like Tesco value range & Betta Buy stuff, not Fortnum & Masons :roll:

Good for her looking after her 2 grandchildren. If they were placed in care it'd cost the tax payer a fortune....

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 16:00 ----------

I know, and the sad thing is all these people pouring hate on food bank users like Katie Hopkins and Rod Liddle would turn their noses up at the food stored by such banks. It's things like Tesco value range & Betta Buy stuff, not Fortnum & Masons :roll:

But she doesn't need the food bank. She is provided for already. She is greedy it would seem and using a resource for those who have no choice.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 16:03 ----------

Can you answer the question I raised though? Its a genuine request that does not deserve the ridicule.

Well that's precisely it isn't it? The right wingers always want benefits for themselves but as soon as they don't need them they turn round and say nobody else can have them

But she doesn't need the food bank. She is provided for already. She is greedy it would seem and using a resource for those who have no choice.

Can you answer the question I raised though? Its a genuine request that does not deserve the ridicule.

I'm sure there are cases, maybe do some research on Google? No your request for an answer doesn't deserve ridicule, but the lady to who the Sheffield Star article referred to doesn't deserve your ridicule by you calling her greedy either.

Considering it's not exactly even a comfortable lifestyle for one person to support themselves on minimum wage, I wouldn't call someone who is splitting 3/4ths of a minimum wage between 3 people greedy for getting some food top ups. Even if they get reduced council tax heh. I've tried a few calculations and even living frugally they can't be saving much for that one holiday a year.

Edited by Nem88

To be honest I'd rather a few people ripped the places off than they didn't exist and the people who were in genuine need starved.

I don't really begrudge it to heroin addicts either, they must live pretty grim bleak lives, a square meal or two can't be a bad thing.

I don't think being picked up in a fancy car is much of an indicator either, it could belong to a friend who's taken them there but is up to the hilt in HP payments and can't afford to buy them a bag of shopping.

I'm sure there are cases, maybe do some research on Google? No your request for an answer doesn't deserve ridicule, but the lady to who the Sheffield Star article referred to doesn't deserve your ridicule by you calling her greedy either.

Mister M, you and others are claiming food banks are needed. All I want is for you to back up the claim with evidence. Its not for me to prove your argument.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 19:21 ----------

Considering it's not exactly even a comfortable lifestyle for one person to support themselves on minimum wage, I wouldn't call someone who is splitting 3/4ths of a minimum wage between 3 people greedy for getting some food top ups. Even if they get reduced council tax heh. I've tried a few calculations and even living frugally they can't be saving much for that one holiday a year.

Oh I agree, its cant be easy, but she does receive a lot of money already. I note they missed off her housing benefit from the list of received benefits. She will be receiving this and so her income appears to be more than what is reported. An estimate would put it at approx. £15,460 pa. Thats not a great deal, but then again look at it this way, its a lot of money to be doing no work.

I do not begrudge people getting help, but if this woman can afford to save up the child benefit, she can afford not to be using the food bank. She has a choice which is different what we are being told about the rise in food banks.

So far all I have seen are drug addicts and this women as examples of those using the banks. Drug addicts will use them no matter what party is in power as they will stick their money in their arm, so they are no indication of anything, while this woman obviously has a choice.

Where are the staving families living hand to mouth we are being told exist? Where are the destitute who would stave to death if it where not for the banks? Is its real or is this something the media are feeding (no pun intended) us? Are these stories designed to provoke a reaction by the left wing papers, one that those who question it are considered heartless?

Show me the real people in need, and the charities that help them and I will accept it, plus I'll contribute to that charity, but please do not belittle someone for wanting to know the facts/truth before making a judgement.

Edited by Berberis