Should we try to stop discrimination based on class?

Genuine answer....HR Directors have acknowledged that class bias exists with regards to recruitment and promotion

http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hro/news/1073038/class-discrimination-unconcious-bias-plague-recruitment-promotion-opportunities-admit-hrds

I'm very dubious of reports/polls published by people who may have a somewhat vested interest in the outcome.. it'd be interesting to see the questions asked and the full publication..

I'm very dubious of reports/polls published by people who may have a somewhat vested interest in the outcome.. it'd be interesting to see the questions asked and the full publication..

Until you need one to support your own bigoted views of course

Until you need one to support your own bigoted views of course

I'm sure they've been useful to you then Mecky....perhaps you have their number on speed dial ?

This really is a pathetic subject. Says more about the contributors than anything else.

How is HR managers admitting they have an unconscious class bias in their own interest? But at least you've not gone down the '....is a lefty publication' which is the standard response of those on here who don't like the links provided which contradict them.

Genuine answer....HR Directors have acknowledged that class bias exists with regards to recruitment and promotion

http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hro/news/1073038/class-discrimination-unconcious-bias-plague-recruitment-promotion-opportunities-admit-hrds

Interesting

The survey found that more than half 52% of HR directors and managers believe social class inequality exists in the workplace, while 79% said that unconscious bias is widespread in many aspects of working life such as recruitment and promotion opportunities.

That inequality exists (ie more middle class people are hired to work in business X than working class people) isn't necessarily an indication of prejudice or discrimination though.

And the unconscious bias that they then go on to talk about "in many aspects" takes what form?

It's all a bit hand wavy and vague.

You're correct that class and wealth aren't the same thing but are closely related.

Wealthy scrap dealer

bankrupt titled toff

Where do they fit in that thinking?

Not trying to pull you up, just extending the argument

Personally I think social class has many other factors than wealth.

Education

Profession

Choice of leisure activities

Income

Wealth (this is heavily dependent on inheritance and stage of life)

How is HR managers admitting they have an unconscious class bias in their own interest? But at least you've not gone down the '....is a lefty publication' which is the standard response of those on here who don't like the links provided which contradict them.

No,I meant the law firm behind the report..as for not liking links..I don't mind.I don't really take things on here that seriously to be honest..you seem to have moved away from your argument that where you live has an effect on your job prospects..I can understand that how you dress/talk /act can have a bearing..can't you?

If you want to give bright working class kids a chance bring back Grammar schools, end of.

The only thing the working class has ever needed was a chance, and the Grammar schools gave them that chance.

The vast majority of middle class children go to comprehensives, so why do the working class need grammar schools?

Class prejudice will never be legislated against.

The people who would be the target of such laws are the very people who tell the politicians what to do.

So it ain't going to happen.