Blades next season

Runningman

Would like this to be discussed by Blades fans only, please Owls start your own thread !

If we are still in league 1 next season, who will our Nigel get rid of in the summer, who might he bring in ?

If we go up, are this squad good enough to stay up. How many new players will Nigel bring in ?

Yes if we make playoffs, no matter the result. No if we dont.

Agree with that.

I started off thinking that we had finally cracked it with Nigel.

This season though some of his decision making has been puzzling to say the least.

It has been obvious for some time that the team lacks physicality. Just about every team we come up against in this division is bigger, stronger and quite often has more pace.

We have a squad of good technically gifted players who are handicapped by being unable to impose themselves on the opposition because of the physical aspect.

To compound the problem referees in this division tend to allow a more physical game to be played possible because they want the game to flow but it's not helping.

Nigel has now acknowledged this in a recent interview when he admitted we lacked height and struggled at set pieces, no excretia Sherlock!

We need to bring in height and pace whether or not we go up.

If we stay in this division which is looking increasingly likely we will lose players like Murphy and maybe Basham or Harris although Clough has brought in a few that are loyal to him and may stay for that reason.

If by some bit of good fortune we go up, then a Big mobile target man to lead the line, a dominant centre half and a pacy winger should see us OK initially.

It will be interesting to see what develops here,not checked the fixtures,but apparently we have 3 home games in a row?...........these could be the key to everything,a winless run at the moment and 2 losses at home already racked up in that run.Now 3 wins could solve everything and set us up for the play offs which,win or lose,I expect Nigel to be in charge at the start of next season.I f we lose in the play offs it will be interesting to see how much he will be backed in the market during the close season,or if he will be limited to loans,or told to raise cash by selling.After that,the start we get is paramount,if we don't get off to a flyer or results happen as they are happening now,By autumn,that could well be that.

Now this season and the coming home games if we lose them,then the board will be in a difficult position,because the play offs may well be getting out of reach depending on how other results have gone,and a Danny Wilson scenario will have arrived.Nigel has a lot of goodwill in the bank,but he is drawing heavily on it now,2 recent home losses and the manner they have come,losing 2 goals in the last 5 mins against Peters brother and losing at home to Fleetwood,simply because they are Fleetwood are the kind of results that undermine a manager and his position and credibility,home results define to a large extent,the goodwill of the fans,and that is why the upcoming home games are vital to Nigel,he needs wins now,but somehow it seems to me that the storm clouds are gathering at the Lane,something is wrong within the team and the Lane can be a very unforgiving place for a team without confidence,giving away gift goals and ultimately losing.....and Nigel is the one who will be held responsible if the poor home form continues.

Edited by chalga

Agree with that chalga, and whilst normally three home games on the trot would be encouraging given our last couple of performances down the Lane it could all go mammaries up!

As you say whilst the Lane crowd can be brilliant when fully behind the team it can all get a bit hostile when things go wrong.

We need a bit of luck and a good performance to start things off again.

It has been obvious for some time that the team lacks physicality. Just about every team we come up against in this division is bigger, stronger and quite often has more pace.

We have a squad of good technically gifted players who are handicapped by being unable to impose themselves on the opposition because of the physical aspect.

And yet we've beaten just about all the top 6 and a bunch of premiership sides. I'm sympathetic to the argument about the Blades being too small, but these facts tend to undermine that line of thought.

I'm hoping this current run is our wobble for the season.

On last 6 form we're 14th. On last 10 form we're 4th. http://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england3

And yet we've beaten just about all the top 6 and a bunch of premiership sides. I'm sympathetic to the argument about the Blades being too small, but these facts tend to undermine that line of thought.

I'm hoping this current run is our wobble for the season.

On last 6 form we're 14th. On last 10 form we're 4th. http://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england3

Actually I think that fact supports the physicality theory.

Premier teams are usually composed of skillful players who rely more on their ability than 'kicking lumps', they are also used to playing against players who are very good at conning referees into giving away free kicks.

Also the referees in the Premier are quicker to blow up when even slight contact is made.

Therefore they tend to stand off a bit more and allow us to play, being a third division side they wouldn't know that much about us and probably thought any previous results were down to luck and it wouldn't happen to them.

There is also an element of us raising our game against the better teams which is annoying but is a human failing and happens with other teams as well.

How does this theory explain Blades having beaten pretty much all the top 6 in league 1 this season?

The current slump could be a blip or the start of a trend. Only time will tell. But in desparation there are some wild ideas getting spun, imo.