Wildlife charity killing wildlife

One thing I would warn against and that’s assuming any large organisation ‘must have a good reason for doing something’. Think Rotherham and CSE, think HSBC.

The safeguard should always be transparency and a healthy public scepticism.

In this case the RSPB did not want this to be public knowledge.

And I return to my original post here. Only when all else has been tried and the situation has become intolerable should a wildlife charity then consider taking up guns and shooting wildlife.

That cannot be the case when they were insistently saying in 2013 that there were nowhere enough deer on the Eastern Moors. People get things wrong and in this case I think they have. There’s a countryside culture of shooting wildlife and conservation charities should not be playing into it. Otherwise how do you maintain a consistent position on badgers and birds of prey?

I would like to return to your OP too. I think it would be helpful (certainly to me) if you included citations for the source of the statements you make and are you speaking as a member or representative of any organisation that opposes or competes with the RSPB or other wildlife organisations in any way?

I would like to return to your OP too. I think it would be helpful (certainly to me) if you included citations for the source of the statements you make and are you speaking as a member or representative of any organisation that opposes or competes with the RSPB or other wildlife organisations in any way?

Hello. Yes, I'm a member of Friends of Blackamoor and we have been enjoying the experience of having wild red deer on Blacka for about 12 years now. They are really beautiful creatures and the hinds have a wonderful relationship with their young which can continue for 2 years. When they are 'culled' the practice is to shoot the young first and then the mother hinds.

Briefly, we are concerned because the deer wander over a large area of moorland and are unpredictable. The decision by RSPB is not subject to robust public scrutiny and we believe that the count was made when a disproportionate number had gathered on Bigmoor. They usually spread in smaller groups across a large area. We think the decision to shoot about a quarter of the total population is not properly thought out and will impact on numbers across the whole of the moors.

It's an issue that has been discussed on this site:

http://theblackamoorsite.blogspot.co.uk/

There's quite a few Venison farms around Sheffield, you can often see the Deer running around the fields when you drive up the M1.

Thank you geared, I'll check them out!

(the farms, not the deer roaming the fields)

Thank you but I'd like to try as fresh as possible, ie, killed that same morning (and I don't entirely trust Morrisons' meat counter)

You could try here http://www.roundgreenfarm.co.uk/

Fresh venison is not recommended, it needs hanging. http://www.coolgameuk.com/catalogue/hanging_deer.php

Edited by Blackbeard