World Championships until 2017

They signed up to a 10 year deal when they announced the renovations of the Crucible in 2007, indeed this aided their renovation funding and allowed the broadcasters to have input into certain things for cable routings etc. so this is actually old news... Must be a slow news day.

Snooker extended to 2017

Thanks for that, I didn't know this, glad to see WCS here for a few more years at least.

Good news for sheffield. 5live described it as an "iconic venue" which I thought was stretching it a bit.

I reckon one of the main reasons that the Crucible remaining the venue is in jeopardy is because some of the top players wives not wanting to spend a fortnight in Sheffield, they'd rather be in swanky Manchester or London.

Edited by Guest

Apparently the snooker world championships is worth £5million to Sheffield's economy

I reckon one of the main reasons that the Crucible remaining the venue is in jeopardy is because some of the top players wives not wanting to spend a fortnight in Sheffield, they'd rather be in swanky Manchester or London.

Not that many of them spend a fortnight here!

Argh but Manchester and London don't have the World Famous Moor Market and the fantastic boutique shopping experience of Pinstone Street.

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 18:26 ----------

Not forgetting the Haymarket Experience.

If we lose the snooker, I doubt the World Championship will stay in this country, China has been wanting to get it's hands on the Championship for a while.

it will prob stay at the cruicible far beyond the current deal as although the venue is still small and restricts commercial viability and oppotunity most of the players are agreed that the close proximety of the crowd gives it an unrivaled atmosphere to play in.

If we lose the snooker, I doubt the World Championship will stay in this country, China has been wanting to get it's hands on the Championship for a while.

Everything may as well be in China these days; for every English morris dancer there is probably 2000 Chinese ones in China, so lets have it there eh?!

Hopefully will stay for some time yet