Advice regarding Sheffield City Council flat

It's not the OP's property, so they can't just make these alterations, however practical they may be.

But the op said they have been told they can replace the door at their own cost so it doesn't seem the council are bothered what they do....that's all

But the op said they have been told they can replace the door at their own cost so it doesn't seem the council are bothered what they do....that's all

Permission still needs to be obtained and if the OP has rent arrears or on-going ASB there is a good chance it wont.

Demand better security doors for the block; I lived in a block like this once, and we made such a fuss SCC fitted the heavy metal doors with special fobs and an intercom system. Made an incredible difference.

I also found out after the event that if I ever had been burgled due to people coming in via an insecure door to the block, my insurance wouldn't have paid up.

In the meantime, call 101 every time someone is in the block who shouldn't be - calls about anti social behaviour and such in council administered property is passed over to SCC once the Police have dealt with it.

Demand better security doors for the block; I lived in a block like this once, and we made such a fuss SCC fitted the heavy metal doors with special fobs and an intercom system. Made an incredible difference.

I also found out after the event that if I ever had been burgled due to people coming in via an insecure door to the block, my insurance wouldn't have paid up.

In the meantime, call 101 every time someone is in the block who shouldn't be - calls about anti social behaviour and such in council administered property is passed over to SCC once the Police have dealt with it.

Agree with this, the Police will have a big say so the OP needs to get them talking to there Housing office, I am assuming that the OP has reported this to Housing?

I can offer you no advice only my deepest sympathies. I had a council flat in S13 for best part of 3 years. for 2 of those I had been on with SCC regarding anti social behaviour, vandalism and threatening neighbours. after 2 years of complaining and filling in weekly reports about the same people and issues, we were no further forward. I ended up, for the sake of my own sanity and sense of security moving to the opposite side of the city and starting afresh. Every other day I was negotiating with the same people at SCC and just did not get any further with resolving the issue. its horrible and scary what you are going through and I can only hope that you find some sort of resolution soon for the sake of you and your daughter.

I'd suggest contacting multiple solicitors with an eye to suing SCC on a no-win no fee basis.

Contact your local MPs.

Contact as much media as you can (radio/tv/documentary makers etc).

When dealing with SCC representatives and your MP, ensure you record all conversations as it will make them accountable, eliminate the possibility of them getting away with lying to you, and, if all else fails, constitute good evidence if/when this gets to court.

If, as a result of this pressure, SCC relent and give you what you're legally entitled to (a secure and safe home for you and your children), please do retain the evidence you've collected, as it is certain that SCC will continue to abuse and fob off many other tenants, who may find your evidence usefull. They do not give a s**t about the people they abuse and fob off- all they understand is the threat of legal action.

I live in a similar block. We have a security system (which is mostly useless as people don't close the door properly)

More importantly our doors were changed to outward opening ones, which means they can't be kicked in.

I suggest you start to hassle your local councillor and keep on hassling till some action is taken.

I agree and, no matter what SCC say, they- not OP as tenant- are responsible for the property's structure inc. doors.

Read the Letting Agreement, to verify this however. AND tell the insurer providing contents insurance of the incident. Even if no claim is being made, most insurers impose a strict duty to disclose everything relevant ['uberrimae fidei'].

There is some police funding for community groups to reduce or prevent crime.

If you set up a community organisation a mini TARA for example you should be able to apply for funds to install new doors...

thought they needed to be fire doors on flats check them out and complain