"Back to square one"

trav4

Actually it was I who said it :).

Billy Gillespie was captain of United and Ireland at a time before the penalty area semi circle was introduced, and it was brought in as a direct result of a tactic he developed.

In those days the grounds were muddy, the balls were heavy and so were the boots.

Whenever a penalty was awarded against United he had his team mates instructed to line up across the edge of the penalty area shoulder to shoulder.

This prevented the taker from having a long run up and getting too much power into the kick.

This then became a widespread tactic and so the FA introduced the semi circle.

That marking is now on every football pitch in the World!

Because of our captain , so every time from now on when you Owls are watching a match, think of us won't you. :)

Next question. What was the score in the first match ever played by The Wednesday?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.homeoffootball.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F04%2FTraditional-Programme.pdf&ei=MhKQVPKFJe6R7AbVuYG4DA&usg=AFQjCNG-GCUSAwjpTntntJSDUUpl5LQexQ&bvm=bv.81828268,d.ZGU&cad=rja

This is an excellent site as far as all of us are concerned but try to answer the question before you look at it. :)

In order to find out the reason for the tone, and or, attitude of a post, what you need to do is take a look at the post to which it is a reply.

Had you had the commonsense to do that you would have realised that it was in reply to a post from F. Sidebottom.

Up until his post the thread had been a nice friendly discussion about various interesting historical points regarding Sheffield football.

But he couldn't help himself and had to have a dig, I have no problem with that because I enjoy having a dig back, and as there is far more ammunition available to me than those on the other side it's all good stuff. :)

Like to hear my views on people who think their funny by messing with other peoples user names? :)

---------- Post added 16-12-2014 at 16:07 ----------

Yes, if true that would indeed be despicable, however it has nothing to do with me and has no effect on my views on Megson.

And believe you me I am not alone in holding those views.

My bolds.

Up to the point I posted, it may well have been a friendly thread.

But you posted something I don't agree with. You posted that there was some great glory to be afforded to Billy Gillespie due to what can only be described as gamesmanship, and that we should think of this, and him, when our teams play.

I think there is nothing in his actions that should be celebrated or even remembered, and there is no reason for anyone to be proud of it.

There can be no "holidays" issued if you back up your assertion with facts ie the name of the thread so we can see you haven't just plucked it out of thin air to derail this thread.

This from a man who castigated football hooligans (quite rightly so) as being the scum of society and responsible for footballs woes just two days ago and then proudly proclaims that he and his associates in drink went into a public house to "offer out" a party of men that had looked at them and publicly brawled in the street outside of the pub in full view of passers by.

Double standards indeed.

We were being picked on by the Town knucklers read the story .

Most of the passers by joined in :hihi:,some of our antagonists [if you read the little story properly] became life long friends , That was what town boozing was like in the sixties , no coppers involved , no rushing of to hospital , no ringing up the papers saying that a footballer was involved [and there was a lot of them around town mixing with the lads in those days both United and Wednesday,] Madine would have had a birthday and come a cropper with no questions asked.

Edited by cuttsie

My bolds.

But you posted something I don't agree with. You posted that there was some great glory to be afforded to Billy Gillespie due to what can only be described as gamesmanship, and that we should think of this, and him, when our teams play.

I think there is nothing in his actions that should be celebrated or even remembered, and there is no reason for anyone to be proud of it.

Cripes Frank, grasping at straws now ... you used to be a past master and command respect for the quality of your retorts but you seem to have gone backwards and you're slipping in retorts that you would have scoffed at a short while ago.

Cripes Frank, grasping at straws now ... you used to be a past master and command respect for the quality of your retorts but you seem to have gone backwards and you're slipping in retorts that you would have scoffed at a short while ago.

53,258 posts and we're still waiting for something of interest to emerge (other than your dummy).

:hihi::hihi:

My bolds.

Yes I'm proud that my team playing well within the rules of the game in those days helping to shape modern football as it is today and continue to stick to the rules of the game of this day as well as they did in those days.

The rules of the game have changed vastly over the years you only have to look at the offside rules now and what they were not many years ago.

So yes well done to the Blades for helping the game get to where it is today.

Yes I'm proud that my team playing well within the rules of the game in those days helping to shape modern football as it is today and continue to stick to the rules of the game of this day as well as they did in those days.

The rules of the game have changed vastly over the years you only have to look at the offside rules now and what they were not many years ago.

So yes well done to the Blades for helping the game get to where it is today.

I suppose that's where the difference lies.

I'm ashamed of any wrongdoings my club has been involved in.

I don't seek glory from them. Or try to twist and spin them into anything other than what they are.

It's all down to personal morals and standards :thumbsup:

So you made friends with your opponents, that's how the hooligan gangs thrived and I'm sure the women with children who were passing by really appreciate you're making a joke of it, you brag at how you bypassed the law and lived by the law of the jungle.

I am fully conversant with life in the sixties, I was married in the middle of the decade and I used to frequent many city centre hostelries so don't delude yourself that only you knew of the yobbism you brag you were involved in.

Any sign of the proof of the accusation you made earlier.