"Back to square one"

It was first used (I think) in "The Listener" magazine. the BBC's radio magazine that pre-dated Radio Times

gazza remembers it well :hihi:

You took the words right out off my mouth :hihi:

The Blades have a few things which are down to them and form a part of football history.

One being the square one saying.

Here's another one, what marking which appears on every football pitch in the world is there because of a Sheffield United tactic invented, quite legitimately, by our captain at the time?

The D on the edge of the 18yd box??

Dunno why, just my guess.

D for Diego De Girolamo Webby! :hihi:

Correct, which must mean that deep in your subconscious you must know why. :)

Correct, which must mean that deep in your subconscious you must know why. :)

Is it to ensure the players are the correct distance from the penalty spot??

Again, just going on a whim and having and educated (stop laughing) guess.

Do t know what the legitimate play was and not googling it, just thinking out loud.

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 23:30 ----------

D for Diego De Girolamo Webby! :hihi:

D for did ya hear from ya pal yet??;)

Again, just going on a whim and having and educated (stop laughing) guess.

Do t know what the legitimate play was and not googling it, just thinking out loud.

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 23:30 ----------

D for did ya hear from ya pal yet??;)

He is tied up with some stuff with The Libertines pal, but I will see him after Xmas, like I said, it is a long shot!

Yes it is pal, I actually knew the answer but have decided to stop answering them because it seems to upset a few people.:hihi::hihi:.

Another little fact is "the Sheffield rules" introduced the first solid crossbar.

Yes it is pal, I actually knew the answer but have decided to stop answering them because it seems to upset a few people.:hihi::hihi:.

Another little fact is "the Sheffield rules" introduced the first solid crossbar.

You said because of a legitimate play or something united used to do, care to elaborate pal, I'm intrigued.

You said because of a legitimate play or something united used to do, care to elaborate pal, I'm intrigued.

Standing directly behind the penalty spot just outside the area is the nearest place to it, when I was a kid and looking forward to my shoot every weekend and practically breast fed on football and it's history I remember something reading hearing vaguely about payers preventing the penalty taker getting a long run up for the shot or something like that, I'm not sure to be honest I just remember being told or reading this as a young lad, it's like my memory of the 66 FA cup very vague, the only thing that really sticks in my mind was Springett being in trouble.:huh::D.

Actually it was I who said it :).

Billy Gillespie was captain of United and Ireland at a time before the penalty area semi circle was introduced, and it was brought in as a direct result of a tactic he developed.

In those days the grounds were muddy, the balls were heavy and so were the boots.

Whenever a penalty was awarded against United he had his team mates instructed to line up across the edge of the penalty area shoulder to shoulder.

This prevented the taker from having a long run up and getting too much power into the kick.

This then became a widespread tactic and so the FA introduced the semi circle.

That marking is now on every football pitch in the World!

Because of our captain , so every time from now on when you Owls are watching a match, think of us won't you. :)

Next question. What was the score in the first match ever played by The Wednesday?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.homeoffootball.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F04%2FTraditional-Programme.pdf&ei=MhKQVPKFJe6R7AbVuYG4DA&usg=AFQjCNG-GCUSAwjpTntntJSDUUpl5LQexQ&bvm=bv.81828268,d.ZGU&cad=rja

This is an excellent site as far as all of us are concerned but try to answer the question before you look at it. :)