2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

It is Kidley, I've only been caught in it once in the Netherlands, driving home from work and getting quite stressed with the snow as it was horizontal (proper blizzard) and all of a sudden it just started thundering almost non-stop for two or three minutes - the flashes of lightning are amplified by the white.

Really pretty, but also really, really terrifying. Of course we didn't (and I don't think we do) have a word for it then.

Here is a clip from Alternageek's old stumping grounds.

thats upstate, but yeah it happens just like that. freaky and scary.

the first time I experienced it I was in high school, so was my sister.

she happened to be in her earth science class at the time it all happened. the teacher turned on her lesson and changed it from rock formations to why something like that happened as why it was so rare. Sister said it was one fo the coolest lessons she had been in.

Good evening all - been in from work about 10 minutes.

There's a really heavy band going to pass over Sheffield in the next half hour, the snow is going to be patchy in nature last week but each front that comes over will be heavier than last week.

I'll have a bite to eat and get sat down and look at the radars and data and see how bad it might be and whether we look like it settling etc, but there is going to be heavy snow starting quite soon for all of Sheffield.

Good evening all - been in from work about 10 minutes.

There's a really heavy band going to pass over Sheffield in the next half hour, the snow is going to be patchy in nature last week but each front that comes over will be heavier than last week.

I'll have a bite to eat and get sat down and look at the radars and data and see how bad it might be and whether we look like it settling etc, but there is going to be heavy snow starting quite soon for all of Sheffield.

I want heavy snow that continues for 48 hours so kids can have proper sledging like in the old days!!!

I want heavy snow that continues for 48 hours so kids can have proper sledging like in the old days!!!

I think deep down we all want that :D

Though for those who want a snow day tomorrow it's not looking great as the front is coming over exclusively West to East, and there's less unstable cloud mass directly West than there is to the North West, so we need to winds to change slightly to drag some down from further North. Then we'll be nailed on for a snow day I reckon.

Just been out and looked East, completely clear sky. Looked West and it's exclusively white, it's definitely going to start snowing pretty heavy shortly although it will only be a shower and there isn't much behind it at the moment..