Is it OK to ask breast feeding mums to sit in a corner

Wow, just wow. Resorting to petty insults and talking about me in the 3rd person. Way to go sheffield forum!

Its an emotive subject and they always result in petty insults and abuse which is probably way so few people get involved in such discussions.

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 09:16 ----------

Perhaps he should have just said the right thing, "woman should be allowed to breast feed where and when they want to"?!

That's an opinion I share but I also like to pay due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others.

I honestly don't understand the need for bickering and insults. I breastfed my daughter in cafes and parks in the late 90s. I positioned myself with my back to the public (not with my face in the corner though, obviously). I had a shawl which I wrapped around my daughter that covered us both at the front. Nobody noticed, nobody commented. I would think most people would rather a baby was fed than screeching and screaming the cafe down.

I honestly don't understand the need for bickering and insults. I breastfed my daughter in cafes and parks in the late 90s. I positioned myself with my back to the public (not with my face in the corner though, obviously). I had a shawl which I wrapped around my daughter that covered us both at the front. Nobody noticed, nobody commented. I would think most people would rather a baby was fed than screeching and screaming the cafe down.

Absolutely, I totally agree, I did the same thing it's easy to be discreet and keeps baby happy.

I don't think there should be any need for discretion though.

Some people just like to make an unnecessary fuss, I too always managed to feed my children whilst out in public without everyone noticing what I was doing.

FYI,here's what was really said, I listened to Farage on LBC as per usual things have been taken out of context, Farage said he personally had no problem with mothers breastfeeding wherever they want, he then went on to say when questioned by Nick Ferrari about Claridgesperhaps they might ask women to sit in a corner.

Maybe he should start waffling evading the question and spout out rehearsed parrot style rhetoric like the other parties do.

What if there are 5 mothers feeding their children, is it UKIP policy to ensure that extra corners are added to restaurants? Are UKIP going to ban circular restaurants? :hihi:

Seriously his recommendation is absurd when you think about it for more 10 seconds.

Mother and baby enters restaurant, corner tables are taken. So what do they do, search until they find a restaurant that has a corner table free or insist that the people in the corner table move?

Why can't we as a society actually accept that there are times when mothers need to breastfeed in public, and just let them get get on with feeding their baby and stop making an issue out of it?

What if there are 5 mothers feeding their children, is it UKIP policy to ensure that extra corners are added to restaurants? Are UKIP going to ban circular restaurants? :hihi:

Seriously his recommendation is absurd when you think about it for more 10 seconds.

Mother and baby enters restaurant, corner tables are taken. So what do they do, search until they find a restaurant that has a corner table free or insist that the people in the corner table move?

Why can't we as a society actually accept that there are times when mothers need to breastfeed in public, and just let them get get on with feeding their baby and stop making an issue out of it?

I don't have a problem with it at all, if you listen to the whole conversation on LBC you will hear that Farage didn't have a problem with it either, it's a non starter.

I don't have a problem with it at all, if you listen to the whole conversation on LBC you will hear that Farage didn't have a problem with it either, it's a non starter.

After Farage realised his error he did backtrack to try to save face, but earlier he did say:

Businesses may ask mothers to "perhaps sit in a corner"

After Farage realised his error he did backtrack to try to save face, but earlier he did say:
Businesses may ask mothers to "perhaps sit in a corner"

That would be an improvement on the restaurants that don't even allow breastfeeding.

good post and totally agree, nothing whatsoever wrong in doing it discreetly instead of wanting to throw yourself open to the world with the "look at me" attitude which is what the protesters seem to be advocating!?? time and a place for everything.