HEELEY CITY FARM: Sheffield City Council propose removal of trees!

instead of protesting why dont you get people to rehouse the birds. traffic in that area is bad and need improvment

Traffic is bad all over the city. These alterations will make little or no difference. Study the drawings on the council web site and you will see they are plans for a "24 hour bus lane."

That makes almost as much sense as the notion of "rehousing" wild birds. Please don't take that personally but it really is a tad eccentric! :)

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 18:05 ----------

Threads merged

Many thanks! :)

Let's face it. The only winners here are the contractors who get the work to make the bus lane and the planners that get to spend time getting paid to come up with this rubbish. The public, as ever, get nowt.

i have always campaigned against bus gates and lanes as a prospective UKIP councillor. i get just as angry about the loss of trees, particulary mature ones. the council once told me there was little funding for tree maintenance, then said they were doing a survey of some 65,000 trees in the borough! bus lanes create congestion, confusion and bad tempered motorists who just want to get home after a hard days work. a drive down ecclesall road in the afternoon illustrates my point. the bus lane is open to all but there are cars parked on it. busses have to continually duck into mainstream traffic. adding to the mayhem, taxis using te bus lane barge their way into the mainstream every time a bus stops in front of them.

liverpool got rid of theirs and has benefitted greatly by doing so.

i seldom use buses as i cannot take my disco equipment on them when i go to work. also, after the peppa pig incident recently i am concerned that ignorant and racist people may want me thrown off the bus if they regard my UKIP badge as offensive.

our party are very close to getting a majority on SCC next year. then we will be able to address these and other concerns that the ruling labour mob dont give a damn about.

by the way, we do not have a bus service, it is a bus business that moves people around and therein lies the problem with south yorkshire's constantly altering bus chaos.

Edited by muckymurphy
edit

https://www.change.org/p/councillor-leigh-bramhall-sheffield-city-council-cancel-all-plans-to-remove-trees-as-proposed-in-tm-lt109-p4-tro?utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification&utm_campaign=new_petition_recruit#share

As you will see from the above link a petition has been started to fight Sheffield City Council's proposal to start road widening works in Heeley which would involve the removal of mature trees that serve the local community by giving shelter to the farm from traffic and also providing a much used walk around the farm through a woodland path environment.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/controversial-sheffield-bus-lane-plan-could-see-188-trees-axed-1-6968961

If you believe that the trees should be saved...and also that our council should not be spending in excess of a million and a half pounds on a scheme to install a bus lane then please help us defeat this ill conceived plan by signing the petition.

Thank you in anticipation.

There are now 285 signatures on the petition. Thank you to all who have already signed and shared.

WE NEED MORE! PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE to defeat this scheme!

I have signed. At the moment I feel I am being locked into my road. Bus lanes and one way systems proposed at both ends near enough!

I am feeling pretty upset to be honest. I cannot get anywhere without one way systems, bus lanes, bumps...... I live, work and love the city centre, but clearly living out of it is better!

Signed and shared. Good luck!

Thanks for raising awareness signed and good luck x

Thanks for all your support

I made a little error in my original post, there are 2 different bus lane schemes that affecr Heeley- one for Chesterfield Road and one for Spencer Road. The Spencer Road scheme is the one that affects the trees. All your emails went to the wrong person! Sorry! But he sits next to the right person so he did get them! He is now aware of our love of trees and will be working to reduce the tree felling as much as possible. There will probably still be some thining of the trees but the impact will be much less.

We have yet to hear regarding the Chesterfield Road scheme, which has extreme local opposition-it will cause chaos and ruin the Millenium Park.

It appears the council has received a grant purely for bus lanes. Look out for any of the yellow boards popping up near you or on your routes and check them out. The schemes WILL ONLY HELP BUSES no considerations will be made for other traffic.

There is much debate about whether any of this will actually help buses at all :(

Also the scheme on Spencer Road is ill thought out as well as the one on Chesterfield Road. As you say they have been given some money for bus lanes and are just thinking of things to do instead of thinking about what needs to be done and then allocating the cash.

The land on Heeley City Farm and the Millennium Park was given to the community to manage after the last road plans were thrown out 30 years ago and it seems that it is being clawed back by stealth. Bigger roads will only encourage more traffic and where does that end? Not in a good place by any means. This is in the heart of the community near schools and community centres and we don't want it to become noisy and polluted with increased volumes of traffic barreling through every day.

Staff at Heeley City Farm don't want to lose the woodland around the Farm especially not for a scheme that isn't actually going to bring any benefit to anyone. We have support from the local community and users of the Farm's services.

All this will do is increase congestion and frustration for motorists. The proposed bus lane on Spencer Road is not continuous so we don't see how this will help at all. And has been previously stated, traffic is only bad on that one particular part of the road for about 45mins at rush hour and it pretty much self regulates anyway. Crossing can be difficult as a pedestrian so it would be good to address that element.

The consultation session went well during the week and planners have said that revised plans are being thought up to be discussed in January. We'll let people know what they come up with for this part of the plan.

Meanwhile please keep sharing the petition as it's good for them to be reminded about community opinion :) Thank you!