UK cancer suvival rates lower than in the 3rd world

Hardly surprising with all the cash that's been given to third world countries.

No. What's surprising (and depressing) is that ill-informed, small-minded attitudes like this still keep rearing their ugly heads.

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 00:40 ----------

Not really. It's a choice that we all should be able to make.

In 50 years' time, when it has been banned, people will look back on people's drug-related behaviour now and think 'How on earth were they allowed to do that?'... rather as we do now at historic child abuse or bear-bating or the methods in 1950s psychiatric hospitals.

No. What's surprising (and depressing) is that ill-informed, small-minded attitudes like this still keep rearing their ugly heads.

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 00:40 ----------

In 50 years' time, when it has been banned, people will look back on people's drug-related behaviour now and think 'How on earth were they allowed to do that?'... rather as we do now at historic child abuse or bear-bating or the methods in 1950s psychiatric hospitals.

Not comparable. Smoking a cigarette doesn't harm anyone but the smoker. Especially not that smokers have been confined to outdoors or private spaces, which I approve of, by the way.

This should maybe be saved for another thread, but what makes you think that drugs will disappear in 50 years? They've been a part of human life since the dawn of time.

This should maybe be saved for another thread, but what makes you think that drugs will disappear in 50 years? They've been a part of human life since the dawn of time.

So has beating children, but that too (fortunately) is becoming socially unacceptable, with legislation to support. Civilisation changes, moves on.

What goes around comes around, I suggest you like it or lump it

Do you genuinely not care that you could be really, really upsetting people who have lost friends or loved ones to cancer, just so you can make a cheap (and baseless) political point?

ooo the big men are here .... I'm so scared

Don't be scared, no one is threatening you. It is just that you have said something fairly vile and people are calling you on it.

So has beating children, but that too (fortunately) is becoming socially unacceptable, with legislation to support. Civilisation changes, moves on.

Has it? Or are you just guessing? Regardless, even in the periods where children were beaten, there were parents that disagreed with it and there's still parents doing it today; maybe not in public, but it still happens, even if it's just a slap on the legs.

Anyway, beating kids isn't fun. However, some people think smoking, drinking and using drugs is fun. Which is why it will never go away.

can

Has it? Or are you just guessing? Regardless, even in the periods where children were beaten, there were parents that disagreed with it and there's still parents doing it today; maybe not in public, but it still happens, even if it's just a slap on the legs.

Anyway, beating kids isn't fun. However, some people think smoking, drinking and using drugs is fun. Which is why it will never go away.

I didn't say it never happens, just that things which were once perfectly acceptable socially (like drink-driving, for example) do disappear over time if the public mood turns against them. People thought dog fighting (and other bloodsports) were fun once, but attitudes do change. I mean the attitude of the majority - until it gets to the point where it either falls out of use by itself or the government legislates against it, if it's considered particularly noxious.

can

I didn't say it never happens, just that things which were once perfectly acceptable socially (like drink-driving, for example) do disappear over time if the public mood turns against them. People thought dog fighting (and other bloodsports) were fun once, but attitudes do change. I mean the attitude of the majority - until it gets to the point where it either falls out of use by itself or the government legislates against it, if it's considered particularly noxious.

Yeah, but you're talking about pretty nasty stuff here. I know drug addiction and abuse can be nasty, but who has ever said that it was a good, socially acceptable thing? Using drugs and enjoying them (like the majority do) is a very enjoyable thing, something that will always be a part of life.

Yeah, but you're talking about pretty nasty stuff here. I know drug addiction and abuse can be nasty, but who has ever said that it was a good, socially acceptable thing? Using drugs and enjoying them (like the majority do) is a very enjoyable thing, something that will always be a part of life.

They said that about Bob a Job Week, once :)

But how often does a Boy Scout knock on your door and offer to clear out your garage for 5p, these days?

But how often does a Boy Scout knock on your door and offer to clear out your garage for 5p, these days?

Somehow, I don't think that the drugs market and the "bob a job" market (which I'm too young to remember, by the way ;)) are in any way comparable.

Do you genuinely not care that you could be really, really upsetting people who have lost friends or loved ones to cancer, just so you can make a cheap (and baseless) political point?

Well we can just bury our heads in the sand and let it carry on and more people die, or we can all get very angry, hold the right people to account, and make sure something is done about it.

Which would you chose?

Never since Scout Job Week was stopped a good few years back due to the red tops wailing about how everyone was a predator and wasnt everything just awful and Something Must Be Done.....

...and they've not been Boy Scouts for decades. I've more girls than boys in my troop at the moment.

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 01:26 ----------

I never forget the irony of the local magistrate, sat in the snug pontificating over a pint and his briarwood pipe coming out with the following

"Can't abide any drug users, even these 'recreational' ones. They should realise they will be made an example of."

The barman "renamed" his favourite tipple to "Riding Recreationally" for the next evening...

Don't be scared, no one is threatening you. It is just that you have said something fairly vile and people are calling you on it.

I'm struggling to see how this thread could upset people who have known someone who has died of cancer. my dad died of cancer, so what? not saying I agree with mecky's points or anyone else's on this thread but yours is complete nonsense. This is a discussion about the survival rates of cancer. What should we do? never mention cancer in case some one died of it?