Advice about an Omega watch

My mum's having a clear out of old treasures. She has an Omega watch and the serial numbers indicate it is from the second world war period.

She's had it valued, and been advised it needs a good service which will cost a few hundred pounds, but then it will be worth about £1,300.

She's thinking of getting it serviced, and then sell it. I think she should sell it as it is.

Just wondering what anyone else would do, please.

Just watch day-time TV

Thanks for replying, but how would watching daytime tv help?

Becareful as what they said is worth is normally a lot less then what it sells for

As you have just found out watching anything is better than reading mecky's posts.

Becareful as what they said is worth is normally a lot less then what it sells for

Thanks, but it was valued by a reputable firm of jewellers in Sheffield and she didn't take it to them with the intention of selling it to them, just to get an idea of it's worth.

I think it would sell best to a collector. I've seen similar on ebay which are going for £1000-£1300 but in full working order/serviced.

This watch is working, but needs a service, so it's a question of sell it as it is, or spend a bit on it and get more back.

---------- Post added 08-11-2014 at 16:27 ----------

As you have just found out watching anything is better than reading mecky's posts.

Ha ha ... I thought it was me being thick!!

Because all daytime TV is is antiques/collectables and houses

You need to work out if you want to sell it with or without the service as an Omega service costs around £300.00.

Why not just ask the place that valued the watch what effect servicing would have on the valuation?

You need to work out if you want to sell it with or without the service as an Omega service costs around £300.00.

thats about right take it to Parkers jewellers Middlewood road, they have serviced Omegas for me in the past and its worth paying out approx £300 for the service as that includes most parts springs etc, will be worth more and will appreciate in value.

Yes, I think the quote was about £300 for the service. The valuation was about £800 in its present condition.

So, if fully serviced similar ones are selling for £1,000-£1,300, I wonder if it is actually worth doing up to sell. My mum wants to, I'm not sure.

I'll keep pondering. Thanks for the replies.