New LED street lights

Feels kind of sad that in the future we won't get that nice warm glow over the city. On the other hand, the astronomers will be happy.

I don't think they will - the issue is not so much the frequency spectrum of sodium lamps as their design which shone light sideways into people's eyes, instead of down on the street.

These lights will be brighter and higher so the situation will be worse.

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 19:22 ----------

hows that work?

Just a reflective conical guard around the light, really, to stop light going sideways and direct it down on the road.

I don't think they will - the issue is not so much the frequency spectrum of sodium lamps as their design which shone light sideways into people's eyes, instead of down on the street.

These lights will be brighter and higher so the situation will be worse.

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 19:22 ----------

Just a reflective conical guard around the light, really, to stop light going sideways and direct it down on the road.

no mate not the guard, I could have worked that out I meant your comment the lights are so high they dazzle your eyeline, youve made the statement again above

are you a giant?

I've just drove up Stannington road and its practically daylight!

no mate not the guard, I could have worked that out I meant your comment the lights are so high they dazzle your eyeline, youve made the statement again above

are you a giant?

Difficult to describe, and I did choose my words poorly.

I suppose the old sodium lamps were low down, so even with the sideways leakage it wasn't so bright.

These are higher up and brighter, and it seems to me that you get more of the main beam straight at your eyes. Unpleasant.

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 20:05 ----------

I've just drove up Stannington road and its practically daylight!

Yes, and who really wants that 24x7?:huh:

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 20:11 ----------

Bright LED Street Lights Cause Cancer!. Its in the Daily Mail, so it must be true:

K.

I wasn't using the Daily mail as my source. I know it's got a lot of claptrap, but you can't assume everything the Mail says is exactly wrong.

I need to make a few more posts before this forum iwll allow me to do links, but I will dig out the sources

Google "melatonin cancer pubmed" and "melatonin blue light"

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 20:12 ----------

Still getting posts up...

Difficult to describe, and I did choose my words poorly.

I suppose the old sodium lamps were low down, so even with the sideways leakage it wasn't so bright.

These are higher up and brighter, and it seems to me that you get more of the main beam straight at your eyes. Unpleasant.

sorry, can`t see it - more light reflected back up maybe but not straight at your eyes, unless you walking with your head tilted back. i think this is going to one of those problems that only affects you.

3. Will they end up going down the side roads? Will these tall lamps even shine brightly into people's back gardens.

The side road ones are a lot lower than the main road ones, a bit like in Charles St or the ones installed at Victoria Quays recently.

I like em, great improvement, similar spectrum to natural daylight so you can actually see colour accurately, clothing etc. May help reduce street crime, council do do good stuff sometimes. Unlike what they've done on South Road, workmen have dug sections up from end to end then vanished as usual.

apart from the additional electricity consumed by them, the fact that the light is very similar to that of car headlights masks approaching cars. That was always one advantage of the SOX and SON lamps used.

I have no idea where the idea that we all want brightly lit roads, we just want roads that are lit so you can see whats happening, not so that you can read a book or perform surgery under them

apart from the additional electricity consumed by them, the fact that the light is very similar to that of car headlights masks approaching cars. That was always one advantage of the SOX and SON lamps used.

I have no idea where the idea that we all want brightly lit roads, we just want roads that are lit so you can see whats happening, not so that you can read a book or perform surgery under them

The new led street lights consume less power. :|

The new led street lights consume less power. :|

they have replaced 35watt SOX with 52watt led lights

they have replaced 35watt SOX with 52watt led lights

Wattage is the output of the light, LEDs consume much less power.

Don't believe me? How about findings of actual usage in America.

On January 23, the Los Angeles Bureau of Street Lighting published an update on the status of the LED conversion project. The results: 114,067 units replaced, $5,325,793 in annual electricity savings, and 63.3% electricity savings over the incumbent high-pressure sodium (HPS) street lights.