Teachers should check kids brush teeth

Probably because i don't see how a one off 26p from the weekly benefit paid to everyone with a child is impossible to achieve.

Having a parent who doesn't care isn't being disadvantaged,its a fact of life. If it isn't teeth cleaning,it's learning to bake. learning to write or even learning to dance.

What next, will we be having school teachers especially employed to instruct children to tie shoe laces? If they can't do it then the parents can blame the Govt.

For the second time - I have not suggested that teachers take on this responsibility, please keep up.

Having a parent who either doesn't care or for any reason cannot care is a disadvantage. Are you suggesting that we should just give up on people rather than try to find an effective system that will provide help? That is not the sort of society I would like to be part of. Still, as long as you're OK eh?

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 19:31 ----------

It's unlikely hat most of these parents are suffering mental illness, just idle t**ts who think somebody else should act as parents to their offspring

Why the need to swear? Do you have a limited vocabulary?

It is not just lazy people we are talking about here, it is people who may have mental health problems. Why do you say this is unlikely? Have you met them all?

Edited by donotremove

Why don't children just live at school ?..................... what with checking that they have brushed their teeth, toilet training and kids having their breakfast there !!!! What next ? :loopy:

For the second time - I have not suggested that teachers take on this responsibility, please keep up.

Having a parent who either doesn't care or for any reason cannot care is a disadvantage. Are you suggesting that we should just give up on people rather than try to find an effective system that will provide help? That is not the sort of society I would like to be part of. Still, as long as you're OK eh?

---------- Post added 22-10-2014 at 19:31 ----------

Why the need to swear? Do you have a limited vocabulary?

It is not just lazy people we are talking about here, it is people who may have mental health problems. Why do you say this is unlikely? Have you met them all?

No actually I have Grade A O-Level and A Level English dear and this is a general thread about all school children. I was brought up in the sixties by my parents not the teachers. On what do you base your theory that parents who don't make their chidren brush their teeth have mental health issues?

Why don't children just live at school ?..................... what with checking that they have brushed their teeth, toilet training and kids having their breakfast there !!!! What next ? :loopy:

Just move their beds in and call it boarding school.

What next, will we be having school teachers especially employed to instruct children to tie shoe laces? If they can't do it then the parents can blame the Govt.

When I was teaching I once had a particularly obnoxious and aggressive father telling me it WAS my job to teach his child how to tie her shoelaces.

Just move their beds in and call it boarding school.

Ah yes................... a school for children who's parents can't be bothered to bring them up. :thumbsup:

No actually I have Grade A O-Level and A Level English dear and this is a general thread about all school children. I was brought up in the sixties by my parents not the teachers. On what do you base your theory that parents who don't make their chidren brush their teeth have mental health issues?

I work in the public sector dealing with mentally ill people and regularly see the fall-out created by this terrible disease. I also witness the ignorance of people who call them lazy, idle and feckless on a daily basis. It is so easy to turn the other cheek when you've been fortunate enough to have a stable upbringing and excellent family support. I regularly deal with children who due to circumstances beyond their control, have to look after a parent so there is a complete role-reversal of the family make-up.

Still, what would I know eh?

The sort of nanny state that you appear to want to be part of is part of the problem. A new class of people has evolved from it that are dysfunctional, irresponsible and effectively institutionally dependent on the state for everything from providing housing to now showing their kids how to brush their teeth. It is pathetic, tragic, unaffordable and it needs to stop.

The sort of nanny state that you appear to want to be part of is part of the problem. A new class of people has evolved from it that are dysfunctional, irresponsible and effectively institutionally dependent on the state for everything from providing housing to now showing their kids how to brush their teeth. It is pathetic, tragic, unaffordable and it needs to stop.

Nanny state? Having the compassion to feed, clothe, house and educate people who have fallen on hard times is suddenly wrong is it? Is it wrong to want a system which will offer people the opportunity to get their lives back on track when circumstances work against them?

Not once have I suggested any agreement with this crazy suggestion that teachers should take some responsibility for checking for tooth decay. However, some people think having some compassion for less fortunate people is somehow wrong and jump to the conclusion that I want a nanny state.

Get a grip.

I work in the public sector dealing with mentally ill people and regularly see the fall-out created by this terrible disease. I also witness the ignorance of people who call them lazy, idle and feckless on a daily basis. It is so easy to turn the other cheek when you've been fortunate enough to have a stable upbringing and excellent family support. I regularly deal with children who due to circumstances beyond their control, have to look after a parent so there is a complete role-reversal of the family make-up.

Still, what would I know eh?

If children are being neglected because the parents have mental health issues then support should be provided by social/universal services and be targeted where the need is. An untargeted, one-size-fits-all solution delivered through the education system is a waste of money and time.

If children are being neglected because the parents have mental health issues then support should be provided by social/universal services and be targeted where the need is. An untargeted, one-size-fits-all solution delivered through the education system is a waste of money and time.

I agree. Now please take this on board: I have not suggested 'an untargeted, one-size-fits-all solution delivered through the education system'. Got it?

Maybe you can explain further why you seem to think I would like a nanny state to exist.

I agree. Now please take this on board: I have not suggested 'an untargeted, one-size-fits-all solution delivered through the education system'. Got it?

Got it. :thumbsup:

Maybe you can explain further why you seem to think I would like a nanny state to exist.

You suggested we should have more compassion for kids growing up with bad teeth ("it's not their fault"), which has been interpreted as support for the proposal. As you've now said you don't agree with the nanny state proposal then that one is cleared up too! ;)