Time to tackle inequality!

You are trying to use one argument to cover points and you can't do it - it's impossible. We are generally in better shape now than we have been by using more or less any measurement you like - life expectancy, infant mortality, numbers going to higher education, numbers in work, we still have a welfare state that will provide you with free housing (if you aren't working g) healthcare, education up to the age of 18 and a state pension (although not huge) and a care home at the end of it. We splash out on more frivolous bits of technology than we ever had and travel further on our holidays. We, as a country are better off.

Yes, there is inequality. But that, as was mentioned on an earlier post, as much to do with billionaires living (or indeed moving here) because of many reasons we could all speculate on. Our corporation taxes aren't as low as many other countries (Ireland and Holland of the top of my head) and that's before you start including the old fashioned tax havens like Jersey and Luxemburg. London is still a global financial centre which will attract many - and if you truly minted

, and this bits important, London is a very cool place to live in. If you really want to see inequality - go to India, or even the USA. We have inequality but we start at a far higher level.

South America and Africa are the places to find the worst examples of income equality, the UK is one of the better places to live if you want income equality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

I owned a small but very successful construction company for years. What loopholes? I could claim depreciation of equipment, two kids as dependents, mortgage payments on the house and that was just about it. I paid the plumbers, electricians and carpenters full union rates. Good money too

I worked long hours, busted my butt and spent more time away from hearth and home that I wished. My income was good after all the overheads and expenses and I deserved it all. There would have been no point in making any effort whatsoever had the incentive to make good money not existed

Good for you! But you are not and never will be anywhere close to the top 1%.

---------- Post added 19-10-2014 at 18:10 ----------

South America and Africa are the places to find the worst examples of income equality, the UK is one of the better places to live if you want income equality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

Out of all the developed countries, the UK is one of the worst places for inequality!

http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/resources/multimedia/infographic-income-inequality-uk

Edited by Bonzo77

Out of all the developed countries, the UK is one of the worst places for inequality!

If you are wanting to hammer the top 1% - a pretty small number - they will leave. As they did in the 60s as I understand it. The other thing that might happen - and I'm thinking of footballers and film stars in this - is the their employers will just pay them more to compensate for the higher taxes making the equality (top of the ticket anyway) higher still and make football matches etc more expensive.

First thing would be to close all the loopholes then increase the rate. I don't know what the rate should be. £15k is not wealthy in the UK.

So do you just want income equality in the UK or the world, if it's the world how much of your income will you be happy to loose?

---------- Post added 19-10-2014 at 18:20 ----------

http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/resources/multimedia/infographic-income-inequality-uk

Your link doesn't compare the UK to other countries, the link I posted does and it disagrees with you.

So do you just want income equality in the UK or the world, if it's the world how much of your income will you be happy to loose?

---------- Post added 19-10-2014 at 18:20 ----------

Your link doesn't compare the UK to other countries, the link I posted does and it disagrees with you.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/14/uk-inequality-wealth-credit-suisse

---------- Post added 19-10-2014 at 18:30 ----------

If you are wanting to hammer the top 1% - a pretty small number - they will leave. As they did in the 60s as I understand it. The other thing that might happen - and I'm thinking of footballers and film stars in this - is the their employers will just pay them more to compensate for the higher taxes making the equality (top of the ticket anyway) higher still and make football matches etc more expensive.

If every country was serious about tackling inequality, where would they go?

I notice the equality trust do not say how to fix the inequality gap.Everybody knows what they are saying but it needs somebody with constructive ideas.Sticking 60%,70% tax on the richest is not going to fix it.What needs to be done is to try to increase the incomes of the lowest not just try and drag top earners incomes down.As i think somebody else said all that will do is make the poorest feel better they will not actually be any better off.

I notice the equality trust do not say how to fix the inequality gap.Everybody knows what they are saying but it needs somebody with constructive ideas.Sticking 60%,70% tax on the richest is not going to fix it.What needs to be done is to try to increase the incomes of the lowest not just try and drag top earners incomes down.As i think somebody else said all that will do is make the poorest feel better they will not actually be any better off.

Closing the loopholes that have access to would be a good start! I don't think anyone has a silver bullet answer, but something needs to change soon.

Bingo, maybe that'll help solve the UK's overcrowding problem.

Closing the loopholes that have access to would be a good start! I don't think anyone has a silver bullet answer, but something needs to change soon.

The problem with trying to close tax loopholes is that it needs to be done internationally other wise tax havens will still be there.I think getting every country to agree with that may be a stumbling block.I know that even the smallest one man band companys find ways of legally avoiding tax.