Theft by bus driver?

Which was it then? Making something up? Or just hoping for a reaction?

Or actually just reversing the situation on the driver?

Have a think about it, if you can.

Not biting , Only works on people whos more stupid then yourself

If nothing else this thread illustrates a peril of modern life. Anything from 2-10% of £1 coins may be fake, nobody really knows. It could be more. How many of us have time to examine our change in great detail? Commerce would grind to a halt if we did. We carry on, passing the problem, mostly innocently, to someone else.

The Royal Mint provides help to identify them, but even it is not foolproof, depending upon the diligence the counterfeiter may have taken, see; http://www.royalmint.com/~/media/Files/Dont_get_trapped.ashx

I've gone through the coins I've had over the last few days. I don't think any were fake - but I've handled only about 10. Prior to this thread I'd have spent them all without a thought. However, if I had found one, I'd need to hand it in at my nearest police station, at Woodseats. That's not very convenient, and I understand they no longer have a counter service anyway. I'd not go into town to hand in one £1 coin, and I doubt many would.

So I'd hang onto it, and eventually I'd probably forget why I'd put it to one side, and end up spending it anyway! I'd not put it in the wheelie bin, that's for certain. (One of my coins wasn't a fake, but a Gibraltar £1 coin. I shouldn't spend that either. Fortunately someone we know is going to Gibraltar shortly, so that resolves that one!)

The Royal Mint knows we won't hand them all in, so it's going to call them all in, starting in 2017 if all goes to plan, see; http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/news/the-new-1-pound-coin Project iSIS is the work of The Royal Mint’s in-house technology team - I hope the name isn't a bad omen!

Counterfeiting is a crime, but in this case the victim is the bus passenger acting in apparent innocence. It's easy to see how she might consider the crime was against her by the bus driver The alleged counterfeiting culprit will be many miles away, and his crime committed maybe 10 or more years ago!

Edited by 1978
iSIS addition

Sorry, chem1st - either you are being intentionally disingenious or you haven't been on a bus for a while. Most modern buses have at least 2 cameras for passenger safety, as well as driver and road facing equipment. Open your eyes next time you board a bus.

Not all of them cameras are 'real'. They are much more likely to be fake than the £ coin in your pocket. Except the one watching the float in order to protect revenue lost to staff theft.

It is for some. Especially when it only takes a a few seconds to earn it.

Yes. Bus drivers have had many scams in the past and still have some today. A common one was to accept money for fares and not issue tickets. Or to issue different tickets of lower value and pocket the difference, a very easy thing to do in this day and age with 'zero fare' tickets.

When CCTV was first put on buses it was used to monitor staff theft, not the safety of passengers. Most buses have CCTV to monitor staff theft, more so than buses having CCTV for the purposes of passenger safety.

How would you explain the CCTV cameras upstairs and behind the drivers bulkhead?

How would you explain the CCTV cameras upstairs and behind the drivers bulkhead?

What of them?

Not biting , Only works on people whos more stupid then yourself

You're apparently so "smart" that you see trolling where there isn't any. :confused:

Why do you waste your time on that troll. every post he does. he either makes thing up in his own fantasy world or he is hoping for a reaction

Cyclone said that he had an idea.

That idea was to do just as if and pretend the change from the driver was fake.

Well if these coins are not really fake but you are just behaving as if they are.

You will be wasting your time and the time of others in the bus held up by your childish "as if" games and not get on the bus.

Who is living in a fantasy world?

The person pretending as if some real coins are fake.

Or a driver who is trying to take fake coins out of circulation.

I am not concerned with fantasy, that is for dreamers who believe in the future and are concerned with one little pound they lost in a bus and make a 4 page topic out of it.

Cylclone never said the word "pretend".

How on earth can you judge on who is pretending, who is right or wrong, the bus driver or the customer?

A person is not granted powers of infallibility merely by being given the job of bus driver.

A bus driver cannot lawfully confiscate money off customers merely by claiming it to be fake. A receipt must be provided and the police involved.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/pages/retailers/whattodo.aspx

Cyclone said that he had an idea.

That idea was to do just as if and pretend the change from the driver was fake.

Well if these coins are not really fake but you are just behaving as if they are.

You will be wasting your time and the time of others in the bus held up by your childish "as if" games and not get on the bus.

Who is living in a fantasy world?

The person pretending as if some real coins are fake.

Or a driver who is trying to take fake coins out of circulation.

I am not concerned with fantasy, that is for dreamers who believe in the future and are concerned with one little pound they lost in a bus and make a 4 page topic out of it.

The point is that the driver has no more right to determine that the coin you are paying with is fake, than you do to determine that the change he is giving you is fake.

Fantasy world would normally be some sort of situation that is impossible or extremely implausible. Like freezing the bus driver with your dutch freeze ray and taking the pound back. Or taking revenge by sticking a potato up the bus exhaust before he drives off.

And you are apparently concerned enough to be posting on this thread... :huh:

---------- Post added 08-10-2014 at 08:56 ----------

Why do you waste your time on that troll. every post he does. he either makes thing up in his own fantasy world or he is hoping for a reaction

And you, do you even know what trolling is?

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal ..

So how does the idea of flipping the situation on the bus driver count as trolling. Which part of that definition does it meet?

Not all of them cameras are 'real'. They are much more likely to be fake than the £ coin in your pocket. Except the one watching the float in order to protect revenue lost to staff theft.

You really are a fantasist sometimes. The display over the window shows the driver the inside of the bus (on deckers, usually the upper deck, for obvious reasons), the front facing one records road/traffic conditions, and your 'one watching the float' is used if there is an 'incident' with a joining/leaving passenger.

BTW, I do not work for a bus operator, I just don't see the conspiracy you seem to.

This gives me an idea.

If the driver confiscates your £1, pay him with a note. Then claim that all the change is fake and demand the same amount again as you are "confiscating" the fake coins. See how long it takes to get your pound back.

+1 As already stated you only have to "believe" they are fake :D

Five page topic now over a most likely fake £1 coin.

Calling it a form of theft from the driver while it is just as equally possible he is doing his job properly here.

Britain has reached a level of poverty that the exchange of a possibly fake pound coin has become such a huge concern as if it is about your life savings or weekly earnings.

I'd be more concerned about the quality of service in a chippy.