Poor hygiene at Jessops Hospital

i dont think this cleanliness situation is new really..my sister had her first daughter in jessops nearly 18yrs ago now and she had to have a forceps delivery....my mum was with her at the time...and the midwife who was looking after my sis dropped the forceps onto the floor and swiftly picked them up and started to use them...my mum said she should get clean pair but midwife told my mum she hadnt time!! Hence my sister got a bad infection after the baby was born...i'm glad i had my kids in nether edge nearly 30yr ago!!!! i would be absolutely petrified these days....

Maybe the Midwife judged that the risk from any potential infection was lower than the risk associated with the delay in getting another sterile pair of forceps?

the midwife didnt say that the baby had to be got out in a hurry...mum said thought she just couldnt be bothered...everything seemed to be too much of an effort for her!!! the baby was born towards the end of this midwifes shift...so think maybe she didnt want to hang around eh?? i used to clean in hospitals...years ago in the middle to late eighties i worked at nether edge and then i did a bit at the childrens just a few years ago..and boy how things have changed..they learn you completely different to how i was taught in the eighties.....i was horrified and must say i came home and said to hubby that if i or any member of my family had to go into hospital i would be frightened to death....it doesnt surprise me at all nowadays that cleanliness levels have dropped...you cant blame the cleaners i dont think..its how theyre taught..well thats what i got from it wen i did stint at childrens.....i refused to put my bare hands into the bucket containing the water used to clean the loos..and when i asked for rubber gloves i was told they dont have them only plastic gloves...well as soon as your hands go into the bucket of water...off they come....they thought i was crazy cos i refused to clean without them...so i genuinely believe its the way cleaning is taught today...

the midwife didnt say that the baby had to be got out in a hurry...mum said thought she just couldnt be bothered...everything seemed to be too much of an effort for her!!! the baby was born towards the end of this midwifes shift...so think maybe she didnt want to hang around eh?? i used to clean in hospitals...years ago in the middle to late eighties i worked at nether edge and then i did a bit at the childrens just a few years ago..and boy how things have changed..they learn you completely different to how i was taught in the eighties.....i was horrified and must say i came home and said to hubby that if i or any member of my family had to go into hospital i would be frightened to death....it doesnt surprise me at all nowadays that cleanliness levels have dropped...you cant blame the cleaners i dont think..its how theyre taught..well thats what i got from it wen i did stint at childrens.....i refused to put my bare hands into the bucket containing the water used to clean the loos..and when i asked for rubber gloves i was told they dont have them only plastic gloves...well as soon as your hands go into the bucket of water...off they come....they thought i was crazy cos i refused to clean without them...so i genuinely believe its the way cleaning is taught today...

Maybe the midwife didn't want to alarm your mum, and cause her to panic? Do you really think that a midwifes shift would be made longer by sending someone for a new set of sterile forceps?

When my wife went into Jessops to have our daughter we where told there where no midwives available, and one would pop in when she could while she was helping another 2 ladies. We called a Friend who is a midwife and she came in a delivered our little girl.

The room my wife was in had a dried trail of drops of blood from the bed to the bathroom and all over the bathroom floor and the toilet. When I asked if it could be cleaned I was told the cleaner wasn’t in until the next day, shouldn’t they have a cleaner there all the time?

When my wife went into Jessops to have our daughter we where told there where no midwives available, and one would pop in when she could while she was helping another 2 ladies. We called a Friend who is a midwife and she came in a delivered our little girl.

The room my wife was in had a dried trail of drops of blood from the bed to the bathroom and all over the bathroom floor and the toilet. When I asked if it could be cleaned I was told the cleaner wasn’t in until the next day, shouldn’t they have a cleaner there all the time?

That is discusting man..... no cleaner til next day? Why no cleaner til next day on a hospital ward? that explains what everyones probs are then dunt it... It dunt just look scruffy, they ant actually got the staff.... i mean women dripping blood from their lower regions isnt unseen on a labour ward, but it certainly should be cleaned by who ever is on shift at the time, if they arnt gunna employ enough staff to keep it perminantly clean.

I'm interested to know how many people, who feel they have been given poor service, made a formal complaint?

That is discusting man..... no cleaner til next day? Why no cleaner til next day on a hospital ward? that explains what everyones probs are then dunt it... It dunt just look scruffy, they ant actually got the staff.... i mean women dripping blood from their lower regions isnt unseen on a labour ward, but it certainly should be cleaned by who ever is on shift at the time, if they arnt gunna employ enough staff to keep it perminantly clean.

becasue the ZaNuLiarbour targets only require it to be cleaned once a day ?

you have to remember that that the peurse strings in the NHS are held by lay managers who failed in 'real ' business ... at least the NHS has slightly better lay managers than those in Local authorities...

if look you at the composition of the Board of Directors of an NHS trust out of 8 -10 execs, only 2 or 3 will be health Professionals

It seems no one works at the weekend!! I gave birth in Nov on a Sat, and the toilet light was out - no-one was available to change a light bulb due to health and safety!! What about my h&s, it's not exactly safe to use a toilet in pitch black whilst in labour....

becasue the ZaNuLiarbour targets only require it to be cleaned once a day ?

you have to remember that that the peurse strings in the NHS are held by lay managers who failed in 'real ' business ... at least the NHS has slightly better lay managers than those in Local authorities...

if look you at the composition of the Board of Directors of an NHS trust out of 8 -10 execs, only 2 or 3 will be health Professionals

Erm...that all sounded a bit too much like you know what your on about lol... i just think that wards such as labour where pouring blood and big liver blood clots is bound to happen more than once a day, then this should be put into account and it sorted out.....infact what am i on about, how many hours does it take for for germs and things to turn into killers? anyone know? is it over 24hrs cos if its not then surely they should re evaluate it on every ward, with people employed by the hosp rather than by some outdoor place or what ever they do. As you can see i have no idea about these things, but its dirty to leave it long when there are so many people and germs passing thru.. and livers:thumbsup:

I had my first child in the old Jessops 10 years ago and the staff were absoutely amazing. Admittedly it wasn't the cleanest place ever but they did a fantastic job with my son who was seriously ill. However when i had my 2nd child 6 1/2 years ago in the new jessops things had changed a lot!! The staff were rude, unhelpful and far too busy to notice we were there half the time.

The hygiene levels in the hospital were ok but the standard of hygiene of the patients made me feel physically sick! Opposite me was a woman with a serious case of body odour, the nurses and midwives were trying to get her to shower and she was having none of it. She stank like an warthog for about 3 days until i asked to be moved. Another patient who'd also just given birth had the same blood stained nightie on for the length of my stay on that ward.............euww!!

Hi

I just want to add my bit, My son was born in Jessops 2 1/2 years ago, after the birth I had some problems and the staff were amazing, going on from this they put me in hdu for a few hours before transfering me to whirlow ward, I was put on the ward in a room on my own and my family left so I could get some rest, some two hours later as a nurse walked passed my bed and saw me, came and said hello and told me she didnt even know I had arrived and how long had I been there!! I was ok and it being my fourth child wasnt worried about being left but for any poor first time mum scared and not knowing it could have been awful, other than that the hygeine on the ward and the friendlyness of the busy staff was excellent.

I had my first child in the old Jessops 10 years ago and the staff were absoutely amazing. Admittedly it wasn't the cleanest place ever but they did a fantastic job with my son who was seriously ill. However when i had my 2nd child 6 1/2 years ago in the new jessops things had changed a lot!! The staff were rude, unhelpful and far too busy to notice we were there half the time.

The hygiene levels in the hospital were ok but the standard of hygiene of the patients made me feel physically sick! Opposite me was a woman with a serious case of body odour, the nurses and midwives were trying to get her to shower and she was having none of it. She stank like an warthog for about 3 days until i asked to be moved. Another patient who'd also just given birth had the same blood stained nightie on for the length of my stay on that ward.............euww!!

As groase and discusting as your story is, it isnt the hospitals fault that some dirty bag wouldnt have a wash or that some other lopper wouldnt change her nightie, its more concerning that there doesnt seem to be staff to clean the place as frequently as they should, although having said that i dont recall sheffield ever being on the news like other citys for having high levels of discusting hospitals like other places...kent springs to mind for example. It cant have been nice for you though trying to bond with your baby with someones onion smelling armpitts waffting past your nostrils all day..... you should have lobbed a bucket of water on her... did you have a bucket to hand that day lol?