Bus lane fine at wicker?

drove to TESCO after 8pm, I 'accidentally' went through the wicker bus gate and turned right to Savile Street (Castlegate- Lady's Bridge- Wicker - Savile St, did I go through three bus gates??? huge fines??). Cheers!

Actually I could see some private cars parked on side of the road at Wicker, how these cars permitted?

..............did I go through three bus gates??? huge fines??

yup!

Actually I could see some private cars parked on side of the road at Wicker, how these cars permitted?

they used the secret tunnel which bypasses the bus gate camera

the correct answer is you went through just 1 busgate.

as you turned right onto ladys bridge and avoided going straight ahead which says buses only, you avoided that fine.

but as you went straight along the wicker past Stanley street, you passed 3 huge signs stating busses and taxis only, that's gonna cost you 30 quid if paid in 14days when the pcn gets posted. you needed to turn left on Stanley street then on to derek Dooley way.

observant

I was caught out with this early on after the reconstruction maybe 3-4 years ago, when you are in that works area and turn left onto the Wicker, you can miss the sign easily it is only a few meters in front of you if you do that, not staring you right in the face 100 meters ahead. I got 2 tickets before I realised what I'd done but I had no excuse and had to pay them.

Mod note:

I'm just moving this thread to the Sheffield discussion section, as it doesn't really belong here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Pete

I was caught out with this early on after the reconstruction maybe 3-4 years ago, when you are in that works area and turn left onto the Wicker, you can miss the sign easily it is only a few meters in front of you if you do that, not staring you right in the face 100 meters ahead. I got 2 tickets before I realised what I'd done but I had no excuse and had to pay them.

thanks blake,

I didn't realize that the bus lane down there is 24/7 operation, I thought I could drive pass after peak times. :sad:

I live in the city center, so many bus lanes, tram lines etc. I recently drive home via west street (B6539 Brook Hill, left turn- A61 Upper Hanover St, left turn- Leavygreave Rd, right turn- Gell St, left turn- Glossop Rd, - West St, right turn- Eldon St, right turn- Devonshire St, left turn- Fitzwilliam St,-- --carry on)

I can see there are TWO bus and tram gates on my route, I am not that clear if I might be caught/fined or not. You can find these gates here, https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/bus-lane-enforcement.html.

thanks so much.

---------- Post added 09-09-2014 at 22:58 ----------

the correct answer is you went through just 1 busgate.

as you turned right onto ladys bridge and avoided going straight ahead which says buses only, you avoided that fine.

but as you went straight along the wicker past Stanley street, you passed 3 huge signs stating busses and taxis only, that's gonna cost you 30 quid if paid in 14days when the pcn gets posted. you needed to turn left on Stanley street then on to derek Dooley way.

observant

thanks observant,

yeah, i've learnt a lesson from this.

I've just logged in to try to find out what all the signs mean round there.

Came out of Tesco onto Savile Street ... in the right hand lane until it says end of bus lane then into the left lane. There was a coach behind me flashing at me ++ and pointing at sign that said something about bus lane now being monitored. But it said "end of bus lane" a few yards before that and didn't see anything to say new bus land started. Went off left under wicker arches and up to park way. Was that wrong? Couldn't see what other option there was really ....

Came out of Tesco onto Savile Street ... in the right hand lane until it says end of bus lane then into the left lane. There was a coach behind me flashing at me ++ and pointing at sign that said something about bus lane now being monitored. But it said "end of bus lane" a few yards before that and didn't see anything to say new bus land started. Went off left under wicker arches and up to park way. Was that wrong? Couldn't see what other option there was really ....

You didn't do anything wrong as far as I can tell. You are permitted to take the left hand lane after the bus lane and then turn left.

Thank you molar ..... I couldn't see what I was doing wrong .... the coach driver obviously seemed sure I was in the wrong ..... It was dark and rainy so wondered if I'd missed something.

Me too :shakes:

I don't agree that there was proper signage and warning for people who have driven there for years without incident.

Tried to contest the fine....and they sent me professional photographs of the road with 'bus lane' in giant letters on the road :hihi:

Too late once you've got that far though, when you're not expecting or looking for such things :suspect:

The only possible contentious issue here is whether you did only move to that lane after the bus lane had ended (and not 'clipped' the end of the Bus lane), but you make it sound like you did only move over after it had ended, so the only problem I can see is a depressed National Express employee who wishes he'd done more with his life?

that bus lane is ridiculous....all cars wanting to go straight through the wicker arches have to wait till near the very end of the junction to get into the correct lane whilst holding back all the right turning traffic!!! stupid imo!