Price of a pint

I always found it a bit strange that beer was a penny more expensive in the lounge than the tap room!

The lounge was always considered "better" than tap room, hence penny more :)

..Can't remember Stones or Wards...
Stones' keg bitter was called simply "Keg"; when ordinary Stones bitter was 1s.10d, the Keg was 2s. I also seem to remember a type of bitter called "Amber" - maybe it was Tennants?

The first pint I bought was in the Corner Pin on Carlisle St in 1974 it cost 23p.

About 1s 7d in 1967; 1s 10d in most pubs..:)

Now there's a difference .

1960 , in the pub on Blue Boy street ( don't remember the name ), my first pint of Stones - jungle juice -was 9d in real money.

Though the wages were little at the time , you didn't need a lot for a good session.

to-day , there is still some difference in the pricing of a pint . I can go into a local for a pint of Sam Smiths ( old brewery bitter ) in York at £1.67p. a pint, compared to £3.20 for other beers in other pubs.

Wetherspoons will sell you a pint of decent beer ( branded beers ) much cheaper than other pubs .

Who is conning who?

Inflation accounts for some , greed for the rest !

Stones' keg bitter was called simply "Keg"; when ordinary Stones bitter was 1s.10d, the Keg was 2s. I also seem to remember a type of bitter called "Amber" - maybe it was Tennants?

Tennants' premium bitter was Queens ale and Tetleys had one called Imperial which they revived about 25 years ago but it didn't catch on and was discontinued again. These weren't the dreaded keg ales but proper bitters.

I vaguely remember Amber but can't remember who brewed it.

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 16:53 ----------

Now there's a difference .

1960 , in the pub on Blue Boy street ( don't remember the name ), my first pint of Stones - jungle juice -was 9d in real money.

Though the wages were little at the time , you didn't need a lot for a good session.

to-day , there is still some difference in the pricing of a pint . I can go into a local for a pint of Sam Smiths ( old brewery bitter ) in York at £1.67p. a pint, compared to £3.20 for other beers in other pubs.

Wetherspoons will sell you a pint of decent beer ( branded beers ) much cheaper than other pubs .

Who is conning who?

Inflation accounts for some , greed for the rest !

I was paying £1.80 for John Smiths yesterday. Special offer for match days.

Tennants' premium bitter was Queens ale and Tetleys had one called Imperial which they revived about 25 years ago but it didn't catch on and was discontinued again. These weren't the dreaded keg ales but proper bitters.

Wasn't Amber one of Bass prior to Bass Charringtons or was it one of Tennants ?

About 1s 7d in 1967; 1s 10d in most pubs..:)

That sounds about right to me for Darnall Green club and mild I think a penny cheaper. I remember there was uproar in my local pubs when I pint reached 2 shillings.

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 22:07 ----------

An advert on TV had a slim Panatella at the same price of a pint, 1s 9d

there was a cigar that always seemed to be the same price as a pint, was it perhaps Castella.

---------- Post added 31-08-2014 at 22:18 ----------

I was never a fan of Tennants so in there houses like the Lansdowne it was always Queens or a Black and Tan which is still one of my favourites.

...Wetherspoons will sell you a pint of decent beer ( branded beers ) much cheaper than other pubs. Who is conning who?....
A very good question! Tim Martin of J.D. Wetherspoon opened his first pub with borrowed money in 1979 and built up his impressive chain with a simple three-point plan - cheap beer, good all-day food and no musak. It clearly works, and he's put the other big operators to shame. I suspect that if Tim Martin had been on the scene in 1967 or 1974 the price of a pint across the country would have become very different over time. By the way, the building where I started work as a bank messenger in 1970 is now a Wetherspoon pub - definitely a change for the better!.;)

Wasn't Amber one of Bass prior to Bass Charringtons or was it one of Tennants ?

I think (I am not sure) that Amber was Tennants.

That's interesting, Boginspro. Whitbread took over Tennants in the late 1960s and they must have used the Amber brand name for a bottled bitter. I remember it only as a draught beer - it must have been a Tennants brand as others have said.