Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi Peter & rohsgran Dennis would be the same age as you he was in my class at school & I was born in 1943. Did Valarie knock about with a girl called Wendy Axleby. If my memory serves me right Dennis was a tall slim lad with fair hair, as for siblings I don't know.

Jean J

---------- Post added 31-05-2017 at 20:31 ----------

Peter & rohsgram if you go to page 56 & post 1108you will come to a post from cat 631 click on to Flickr albums you will find a good selection of Grimesthorpe photographs, if you go on Grimesthorpe schools there are quite a few class photos including mine which has a photo of Dennis Hale he is 3rd from left back row the teacher is Mr (doc ) Rotherham. Jean J

http://photobucket.com/user/ruperthehun/media/3673_zpsq6kwlhty.jpg.html

Someone was looking for a photo of Wincobank Lane chip shop.

http://photobucket.com/user/ruperthehun/media/fullsizeoutput_2459_zpsbtexv76t.jpeg.html

Drove along Owler Lane the other day to find the public convenience opposite the bottom of Popple Street has eventually been demolished. A new building is on the site but not sure what it is.

Had many a tiddle in there on my way to and from school.

Hi cat631and Peter

Thanks for the photo of the Wincobank Lane chip shop.

It brought back great memories throughout the 1960's ,

when Mrs Beeley served what i reckoned were the best

fish and chips anyone could buy from around the area .

Would anyone know what date the photo was taken ?

Looking up Wincobank Lane from adjoining the chip shop,

numbers 2,4,6,8,10,12,and 14 . . . then looking across the Lane . . .

. . . there used to be dwellings (cottage type ) that stood back a little,

not shown in the photo.

Peter has presented a photo previously from the opposite direction,

of which i'm going to pick up on shortly.

There's something about these old photos

that really stirs the memory ,i reckon there brilliant.

Thanks again for producing .

Take care all

Mick.

Hi all, sorry Dennis Hale is 4th from left, having a senior moment. Jean J

--------------------

Thanks Peter for all your pics today and all them you sent on page82

No1631. The person who invented camara's is worth the weight in gold,

i love photo's they all have memorise. Your children will treasure all

your in years to come and all have been loverly to look at.

Your picture of Foxglove Rd you can see it looks like an Estate with the

house, big differents to the one on Addsett St.

Matter of intrest where did you have your bonfires in Grimesthorpe

did you ever get involve in collecting fire wood as a kid.

What other things as a kid did you get up to did you have a bicycle,

what stories have you got. Brian

Hi Brian, further to your post 1651 and my response response post 1655...

We had bonfires in the back yard. There was only our house, no 5, and Mr and Mrs Bell's, no 7, between the toilet block and the wall seperating us from the next yard. Therefore we had a little private bonfire and fireworks.

Dad used to make it in the upturned metal bin lid with some wood and coal in supported on few bricks. One year it got too hot and after roasting chestnuts Dad realised the tarmac had melted beneath it.

He mixed some mortar and skimmed it over the next day.:hihi:

I had a 3 wheeler bike after the scooter on my profile pic . I think Dad bought it from a man at the allotments on Earl Marshall Road. Second hand, at least, and no mudguards. I thought it was fantastic. :) After my brother let the rag and bone man have it for a baloon :mad: my second bike was a 2 wheeler from the same man all refurbished and shiny black. Brilliant.

My third and last bike was a life lesson in trading up. I agreed to let Dad sell my Dinky Toys and Hornby Dublo train set at work as deposit for a new bike from Wiggys. Mother agreed to pay the HP. :D

Here I am with it in Firth Park in 1955 aged 13 going on 14....

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Peter%20with%20bike%201956_zpsugkdi8s6.jpg

Peter.

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 11:26 ----------

Hi Peter & rohsgran Dennis would be the same age as you he was in my class at school & I was born in 1943. Did Valarie knock about with a girl called Wendy Axleby. If my memory serves me right Dennis was a tall slim lad with fair hair, as for siblings I don't know.

Jean J

Peter & rohsgram if you go to page 56 & post 1108you will come to a post from cat 631 click on to Flickr albums you will find a good selection of Grimesthorpe photographs, if you go on Grimesthorpe schools there are quite a few class photos including mine which has a photo of Dennis Hale he is 3rd from left back row the teacher is Mr (doc ) Rotherham. Jean J

Hi Jean,

Dennis Hale must have been in a different stream to me at Earl Marshall School therefore from what you say.

Here's my leaving pic taken in 1958 and the schools which I put on Earl Marshall Secondary thread some time ago. I'm middle back row....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10758886&postcount=78

I've located the school pics you mention. Could you guide me to your school pic and also your position on it please?

Peter.

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 13:25 ----------

Hi cat631and Peter

Thanks for the photo of the Wincobank Lane chip shop.

It brought back great memories throughout the 1960's ,

when Mrs Beeley served what i reckoned were the best

fish and chips anyone could buy from around the area .

Would anyone know what date the photo was taken ?

Looking up Wincobank Lane from adjoining the chip shop,

numbers 2,4,6,8,10,12,and 14 . . . then looking across the Lane . . .

. . . there used to be dwellings (cottage type ) that stood back a little,

not shown in the photo.

Peter has presented a photo previously from the opposite direction,

of which i'm going to pick up on shortly.

There's something about these old photos

that really stirs the memory ,i reckon there brilliant.

Thanks again for producing .

Take care all

Mick.

Hi Mick,

Are the cottages you mention on any of these pics??.....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20657&pos=1&action=zoom&id=23158

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20655&pos=2&action=zoom&id=23156

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20658&pos=3&action=zoom&id=23159

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20659&pos=1&action=zoom&id=23160

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14560&pos=1&action=zoom&id=17371

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y00066&pos=1&action=zoom&id=47358

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20654&pos=1&action=zoom&id=23155

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y00074&pos=1&action=zoom&id=47365

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter. my school photo is at the very bottom of page, I am 3rd from left sitting down on front row. Jean.

Hi Peter. my school photo is at the very bottom of page, I am 3rd from left sitting down on front row. Jean.

Hi Jean,

Got you now thanks! :)

Peter.

Jean J

Yes I believe Valerie was friendly with Wendy Axleby, the name certainly rings a bell with me. As for the Hale family, I think it may be the same one we are referring to but I remember them from much earlier than you as I lived near them in around 1952-1954 and I may be wrong but I thought there were two brothers. The father was also tall and slim with fair hair and used to work for Betterware or Kleeneasy I can't remember which.

Hi Peter, Enclose picture of cyclopes st where i live while at school.

Thanks to a couple of your replies Peter, i saw a pic with you and your bicycle you

lucky lad, i had'nt got one till i started work. Some of my friends had bikes but

some families were better off than some, when i did get one a chap on Grimesthorpe

Rd was selling his for 10 Bob and it did'nt have gears. I was chuffed to have bought it

but wanted sprucing up a bit, i called in Sockets shop for them miniture tin paints

and did the bicycle rim's up. One of my longest trip was to Foxhouse with my mates

and it was great day out and with a pack lunch. On our way home i had a puncture

but we were just about in Sheffield. I think we were in Eccelsall rd and we called

at a sweet shop, i asked the lady of the shop if i could borrow some scissors.

She looked gone out when i told her i said i was stuffing grass into my bicycle rim

as i had a puncture and i needed to trim the grass from the side of the rim's.

If a policeman caught you going through town with a flat tyer he would flag you

over and caution you. It's great how thing stick in yer mind. Great outing tough.

-------------

The picture i've sent you above was about our Bonfire nights, on the left of the

picture top end near the trees and bushes was a tip and we had it on there.

We had a Neighbour who use to drop us off some railway sleeppers, WoW when

the fire was lit you could see all Cyclopes St lit up. I believe it was once in

evening star that it was biggest Bonfire around Grimesthorpe. Sparkling days

they were. HaHa.

I quessed there weren't much space down your end that why i asked you Peter

where did you have your bonfires. Well thats thats another banger of a night. HaHa.

Ps. Got some pic to put on Firth Browns forum later. Yours Brian.

Hi Peter, Enclose picture of cyclopes st where i live while at school.

Thanks to a couple of your replies Peter, i saw a pic with you and your bicycle you

lucky lad, i had'nt got one till i started work. Some of my friends had bikes but

some families were better off than some, when i did get one a chap on Grimesthorpe

Rd was selling his for 10 Bob and it did'nt have gears. I was chuffed to have bought it

but wanted sprucing up a bit, i called in Sockets shop for them miniture tin paints

and did the bicycle rim's up. One of my longest trip was to Foxhouse with my mates

and it was great day out and with a pack lunch. On our way home i had a puncture

but we were just about in Sheffield. I think we were in Eccelsall rd and we called

at a sweet shop, i asked the lady of the shop if i could borrow some scissors.

She looked gone out when i told her i said i was stuffing grass into my bicycle rim

as i had a puncture and i needed to trim the grass from the side of the rim's.

If a policeman caught you going through town with a flat tyer he would flag you

over and caution you. It's great how thing stick in yer mind. Great outing tough.

-------------

The picture i've sent you above was about our Bonfire nights, on the left of the

picture top end near the trees and bushes was a tip and we had it on there.

We had a Neighbour who use to drop us off some railway sleeppers, WoW when

the fire was lit you could see all Cyclopes St lit up. I believe it was once in

evening star that it was biggest Bonfire around Grimesthorpe. Sparkling days

they were. HaHa.

I quessed there weren't much space down your end that why i asked you Peter

where did you have your bonfires. Well thats thats another banger of a night. HaHa.

Ps. Got some pic to put on Firth Browns forum later. Yours Brian.

Hi Brian,

I enjoyed your stories about your bike and railway sleepers. :hihi:

My new bike, as you saw, was bought by selling my Dinkies and Hornby Dublo. It was however the only brand new transport I had as a kid. Before that I had been looking at a second hand bike in Dennis Collins' shop on Carlisle Road for a couple of days and eventually it was sold. I mentioned this to Mother. Much to my surprise she said I could have had it if I had told her. She must have been wondering if she could afford to buy me a new one. Hence the arrangement of her paying HP if, to raise the deposit, I let my Dad sell my cars and trains at work, which had been bought over a long period by my earnings washing the Vic landlord's car on Saturdays and birthday and xmas presents. I treasured them dearly but jumped at the chance :)

I've since replaced those toys in later years for old times sake and have some displayed in a cabinet :)

I recognise your Cyclops Street pic and I'll watch out for your posts on Firth Brown thread.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Does anyone know of any photos taken from Wincobank Hill towards Firth Park when the prefabs were there, 40s/60s? Hopefully to show the old pit tip of Grimesthorpe Colliery.

Thanks.

Hello Peter. Thanks but I'd already done the Picture Sheffield thing. The tip behind the houses on Owlet Lane was put there by James Childs Contractor, The colliery tip was much further up, on Wincobank Hill behind the uppermost prefabs on Wensley Street. It was a dirty grey colour as are all pit tips, the waste from the colliery being taken up there on a tramway. It's flat top and deep bowls made an ideal cycle track for many Grimesthorpe kids, hence why I'm looking for a photo.

I've visited the area but no trace remains.