Buddy Holly Concert

I found this on The Crickets' website:

In 1960, Jerry Allison became the group's leader and after a short while, the group resumed recording and touring. Earl Sinks left and another Holly "soundalike" named David Box then recorded with the group. In 1961, the Crickets teamed up with Bobby Vee and released several singles and an album. Although Joe Mauldin is pictured on the album cover, he was not on the session. Tommy Allsup played on some songs, Earl Palmer was the drummer on a few of them, with Bobby Vee doing most of the vocals, sharing a couple with Jerry Allison.

Jerry Naylor joined the group as lead singer about that time and many singles were released. Glen Campbell sang harmony with Naylor on "Don't Ever Change", and Ernie Freeman played piano.

Sonny Curtis had been drafted and after serving, rejoined the Crickets with he and Jerry Naylor switching off the lead vocals. About the same time, the Crickets were backing the Everly Brothers.

On the 'Bobby Vee Meets The Crickest' tour Glen Harding played keyboards with the Crickets, in the absence of a bassist in the Crickets on that tour Glen Played a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass which was set up at 90 degrees to the left of the piano.

Jerry Allison was not on the show/tour due to being called up in the reserves for the Cuba Crisis.

I recently bought a book about the day the music died (before my time but very interesting)& from what i gather buddy holly was so fed up with travelling on a cold bus & decided to hire a plane for himself & the crickets(waylon jennings & tommy allsup) but the big bopper talked waylon into giving up his seat because he was feeling ill & ritchie valens flipped a coin with tommy for his seat & won & the rest as they say is history.

Met 'Tommy Allsup' a couple of years ago; 75 years old and still playing some excellent guitar, a true gentleman.

See shot below.

zuic8y.jpg

You lucky devils.

Buddy Holly & Elvis both selfishly died before I was born, what I would give to have seen them live.

Can we not do a deal and swap the big man upstairs a couple of average bands from today to get them back? I'd happily give up Girls aloud and the Arctic Monkeys for their return.

I have seen Elvis, (twice) the Beatles, (twice) Tom Jones, Cher, Neil Diamond, Lonnie Donnegan, and many others in my time, but nothing compares with the Elvis concerts. Not just a concert, more of a happening, something never to be forgotten. Then again, who says he's dead, not me.

hi sputnikboy, I do not believe this. I am the other fella who was there on march 4 1958. after all these years.I dont know how this forum works I was actually looking for a new buddy holly relaease when I found your post.if you are still in sheffield I shall be on gerry kerseys show tonight on radio sheffield talking about buddy you can contact me if you wish on clifford@hircock.f9.co.uk cliff hircock

I'm somewhat flabbergasted by your post. By the way, I've replied to your PM. Thanks.

I left England circa 1960 for Australia where I still reside. I also spent many years in the U.S.A. prior to returning to Australia.

Yes, I'd love to hear from you. My email address is sequencerman2005@yahoo.com.au

hi sputnikboy, if you are still in sheffield.

Sputnikboy got transported to Oz for stealing the Platters shoes, he tells everyone that he emmigrated, but thats not true.

Ah yes, the shoe incident. You're right ...I was shooed off (:hihi:) to Australia because of that rather unusual fettish of mine.

Nice to hear from you, Skippy ...how're ya doing'? I know you don't believe me but I really WILL talk to you before too long. For now, though, take care.

Rod

• 9 months later...

Hi sputnikboy, I wasn't at city hall for that concert but was involved with many similar concerts while working as a Projectionist at the Odeon Theatre Nottingham including Buddy Holly in 1958 it was a 3 performance event one show about 2-30 one at 6-30 and last show 8-30 I was operating one of the arc spotlights I remember on that particular show, I took part in many shows with big names in pop during 1958 and 1959 including Paul Anka, Cliff Richard (twice) Count Basie, Tommy Steel(that was a fiasco he turned up too late to go on stage)caused much havoc!!and many others, all the acts had many supporting characters many later to become well know names in there own right, just thought you might be interested.

regards ianodeon