Buddy Holly Concert

Is there anyone here who remembers the Buddy Holly & The Crickets Concert held at the Sheffield City Hall in 1958? More than anything else, I was blown away by the sound of his guitar. After the show there were scores of concert-goers who waited for what seemed like several hours at the stage door waiting for him to come out. But he didn't show. The crowd eventually dispersed until there were just two of us loyal fans left. We were also about to head home when Mr. Holly, his manager and the manager's wife, appeared from 'around the corner'. For some reason, I don't recall whether the two 'Crickets' were with them. I feel that they were not.

This was before Buddy Holly became 'a music legend' so we had no inkling at that time how his songs would become a part of music history. He hadn't really found a niche in popular music at that particular stage of his career. It was the following year (1959) that he perished in that airplane crash and, as a consequence, took on 'legend' status.

Anyway, the two of us fans spoke to Mr. Holly for about 15 minutes. I remember asking him about his fantastic 'horny-looking' guitar (a new concept in guitar design at that time) and the piercing 'clangy' sound that it produced. He really seemed to appreciate my interest in his music and he was polite and friendly. He also told me when I asked that his guitar had cost him $300.00. That sounded like an awful lot of money back then. It was only 15 minutes but I developed the impression from our brief meeting that he was a rather shy person when not on the stage.

Again ...is there anyone who recalls that concert? Is the other kid who persevered with me for oh, so long at the stage door reading this?

Hi Sputnik boy, I was there with my mate, Pete. We sat on the front row of the balcony, to right of the stage. All the Crickets didn't show because of visa problems. As you say the sound was fantastic. Do they call the guitar a Stratocruiser? It was a crying shame that Buddy passed away the following year. I think he would have been at least as big as Elvis if he had been able to carry on.

We never waited to see Buddy after the concert, but the memories are etched forever and his music was a legacy in the hall of original Rock and Roll.

Like Artisan, I wish I'd been lucky enough to have been there. I know a couple of people who were there though and they both treasure the memory. I was too young at the time but I've grown up to love Buddy Holly and Elvis. What an absolute tragedy. Obviously there is nothing to compare with the real thing but I've seen the tribute band Hollydayz at the City Hall. Very good.

As was the norm back then, Buddy played two shows on the same day in Sheffield on March 4, 1958. A week or two later, he even played Doncaster!

Support acts were The Montanas, The Tanner Sisters, Gary Miller and Ronnie Keene & his Orchestra. As already mentioned, Des O'Connor was the compere.

Here are the complete tour dates:

March 1, 1958 - Trocadero - Elephant & Castle, London (2 shows)

March 2, 1958 - Gaumont State - Kilburn, London (2 shows)

March 3, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Southampton, Hampshire (2 shows)

March 4, 1958 - City Hall - Sheffield, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 5, 1958 - Globe Theatre - Stockton-On-Tees, Durham (2 shows)

March 6, 1958 - City Hall - Newcastle-On-Tyne, Northumberland (2 shows)

March 7, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Wolverhampton, Staffordshire (2 shows)

March 8, 1958 - Odeon Theatre - Nottingham (3 shows)

March 9, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Bradford, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 10, 1958 - Town Hall - Birmingham, Warwickshire (2 shows)

March 11, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Worcester (2 shows)

March 12, 1958 - Davis Theatre - Croydon (2 shows)

March 13, 1958 - Grenada Theatre - East Ham, London(2 shows)

March 14, 1958 - Grenada Theatre - Woolwich, London (2 shows)

March 15, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Ipswich, Suffolk (3 shows)

March 16, 1958 - De Montfort Hall - Leicester (2 shows)

March 17, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Doncaster, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 18, 1958 - Ritz Theatre - Wigan, Lancashire (2 shows)

March 19, 1958 - Regal Cinema - Hull, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 20, 1958 - Philharmonic Hall - Liverpool (2 shows)

March 21, 1958 - Granada Theatre - Walthamstowe, London (2 shows)

March 22, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Salisbury, Wiltshire (2 shows)

March 23, 1958 - Colston Hall - Bristol, Gloucestershire (2 shows)

March 24, 1958 - Capitol Cinema - Cardiff (2 shows)

March 25, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Hammersmith, London (2 shows)

Hi Sputnik boy, I was there with my mate, Pete. We sat on the front row of the balcony, to right of the stage. All the Crickets didn't show because of visa problems. As you say the sound was fantastic. Do they call the guitar a Stratocruiser? It was a crying shame that Buddy passed away the following year. I think he would have been at least as big as Elvis if he had been able to carry on.

We never waited to see Buddy after the concert, but the memories are etched forever and his music was a legacy in the hall of original Rock and Roll.

Hi Alanbro. So you were there too, eh? I seem to recall there having been visa problems re the Crickets. Does anyone know whether there are there any press releases available concerning this concert? I'm not sure about the name of the guitar but I believe it was a Fender. It was powerful whatever make it was. Thanks for your input!

As was the norm back then, Buddy played two shows on the same day in Sheffield on March 4, 1958. A week or two later, he even played Doncaster!

Support acts were The Montanas, The Tanner Sisters, Gary Miller and Ronnie Keene & his Orchestra. As already mentioned, Des O'Connor was the compere.

Here are the complete tour dates:

March 1, 1958 - Trocadero - Elephant & Castle, London (2 shows)

March 2, 1958 - Gaumont State - Kilburn, London (2 shows)

March 3, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Southampton, Hampshire (2 shows)

March 4, 1958 - City Hall - Sheffield, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 5, 1958 - Globe Theatre - Stockton-On-Tees, Durham (2 shows)

March 6, 1958 - City Hall - Newcastle-On-Tyne, Northumberland (2 shows)

March 7, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Wolverhampton, Staffordshire (2 shows)

March 8, 1958 - Odeon Theatre - Nottingham (3 shows)

March 9, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Bradford, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 10, 1958 - Town Hall - Birmingham, Warwickshire (2 shows)

March 11, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Worcester (2 shows)

March 12, 1958 - Davis Theatre - Croydon (2 shows)

March 13, 1958 - Grenada Theatre - East Ham, London(2 shows)

March 14, 1958 - Grenada Theatre - Woolwich, London (2 shows)

March 15, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Ipswich, Suffolk (3 shows)

March 16, 1958 - De Montfort Hall - Leicester (2 shows)

March 17, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Doncaster, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 18, 1958 - Ritz Theatre - Wigan, Lancashire (2 shows)

March 19, 1958 - Regal Cinema - Hull, Yorkshire (2 shows)

March 20, 1958 - Philharmonic Hall - Liverpool (2 shows)

March 21, 1958 - Granada Theatre - Walthamstowe, London (2 shows)

March 22, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Salisbury, Wiltshire (2 shows)

March 23, 1958 - Colston Hall - Bristol, Gloucestershire (2 shows)

March 24, 1958 - Capitol Cinema - Cardiff (2 shows)

March 25, 1958 - Gaumont Theatre - Hammersmith, London (2 shows)

Here I was about to ask the exact date of the Buddy Holly Sheffield City Hall Concert and you posted the entire tour schedule ...well done!

It's my understanding that Jerry Allison and Joe Mauldin (the Crickets) backed up the Everly Brothers on the Everly's tour in 1960. Do you have any info on this?

I found this on The Crickets' website:

In 1960, Jerry Allison became the group's leader and after a short while, the group resumed recording and touring. Earl Sinks left and another Holly "soundalike" named David Box then recorded with the group. In 1961, the Crickets teamed up with Bobby Vee and released several singles and an album. Although Joe Mauldin is pictured on the album cover, he was not on the session. Tommy Allsup played on some songs, Earl Palmer was the drummer on a few of them, with Bobby Vee doing most of the vocals, sharing a couple with Jerry Allison.

Jerry Naylor joined the group as lead singer about that time and many singles were released. Glen Campbell sang harmony with Naylor on "Don't Ever Change", and Ernie Freeman played piano.

Sonny Curtis had been drafted and after serving, rejoined the Crickets with he and Jerry Naylor switching off the lead vocals. About the same time, the Crickets were backing the Everly Brothers.

I would have liked to have seen the Everly Brothers. but never did, although I saw Eddie Cochran at the Gaumont. I also saw Gene Vincent, but can't remember whether it was at the same venue or the City Hall.

Duane Eddy's was also a good concert, although I saw him a good few years later and there were only 500 in the audience.