Buddy Holly Concert

I think they were the two,(the day the music died) or something like that.

You're intertwining a line from the song American Pie. While this song has references to Buddy Holly (among others), I don't think it has anything to do with The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens.

Mark1971 is correct.

The Big Bopper and Valens unfortunately both perished in the same plane crash as Holly.

The 'American Pie' song (Don McClean) is a reference to that plane crash, although a lot has been written about the song 'American Pie' and it's original meaning.

Don McClean was asked what was the meaning of 'American Pie', he replied:

'Never having to work again':hihi:

• 10 months later...

The 4th of March is my birthday and on that day in 1958 I was walking past the the Grand Hotel, it was raining, and three guys came out of the revolving doors of the hotel, one of the guys with big black frame glasses said to me, "Hey big fella which way is it to the City Hall", I said to him just turn right by Wilson Pecks music shop, keep on up the street until you come to all the steps and thats it. The guy in the glasses simply said "Hey fella thanks a lot".

As I crossed the road to the Town Hall, I thought my god that was Buddy Holly.

I went to his concert that night and was absolutely blown away, the sound from his Fender Stratocaster was awesome, especially when he played "Peggy Sue". As you say it was a great pity he was taken away so young, but testimy to his rare talent, his music has never really died.

Tony Land (ex Club 60 partner) now living in Brisbane, Australia.

What was the the name of the rock'n'roller who was supposed to be on the same plane but was delayed by something and missed it?

Hey, thanks for bumping this thread up again folks. I think the rock'n'roller you're talking about became a country music performer (legend?) later in his career. His name was Waylon Jennings.

Any other tidbits or memories about the Buddy Holly Tour?