Flying Ants Stopover

It's not just here in Sheffield!

I was down in Birmingham (Selly Oak to be precise) this afternoon and was fighting the little blighters off.

I'd assumed they had been brought up on the mass of air coming from France that's going to cause the extra heat and thunderstorms.

It's not just here in Sheffield!

I was down in Birmingham (Selly Oak to be precise) this afternoon and was fighting the little blighters off.

I'd assumed they had been brought up on the mass of air coming from France that's going to cause the extra heat and thunderstorms.

It happens every year but has only been researched recently. They erupt (usually) during a dry spell but with rising humidity. 2 years ago there were 2 distinct flying ant days, last year there were 4. (I know, anorak)

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

It happens every year but has only been researched recently. They erupt (usually) during a dry spell but with rising humidity. 2 years ago there were 2 distinct flying ant days, last year there were 4. (I know, anorak)

That seems to make sense with the weather that has been forecast.

They are absolutely vile we've had hundreds on our path today make my skin crawl.

I think they are wonderful, nature....great!

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

The car park at B&Q at Hillsborough was over three foot deep (nearly) in ants a short while ago. One tried to peck out my left eye, but with a glancing blow to the mandible with a bag of recently purchased tile grout I deftly (and abruptly) ended it's avionic career in the flying corps ('flying corps' very quickly becoming 'not flying corpse'). :)

It would be interesting to know why the ant only attacked your left eye.:huh:

Is your right eye a glass one?

Edited by GLASGOWOODS