To start a photography type blog

I'm wanting to start a photography blog, to get me taking more pictures, already got a google account so is this a good place to do it, or any other places, tips, advice, ideas anyone? Thank you!

To be honest, if you want maximum reach, you can't go far wrong with Facebook

Yes, yes i know it kills image quality, but at the end of the day most people will be viewing on relatively small phone screens nowadays anyway

I started a 365 project this year and only use Flickr and Facebook as a dedicated photography Blog is very difficult to get any meaningful hits without paying for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)

Or at least that is what i have found anyway, other may disagree, but i am not a Pro tog, only an enthusiastic amateur

Something like this perhaps? You will need several avenues leading to the blog for people to find it.

I might have a look on the Flickr, my only downfall is I would have to put laptop on every night to put the sd card in and put the photos on, and it takes time, any tips? but I'm inspired to do a photography project , like a photo diary etc, thx for your reply! I am only a ametaur but keen on photography!

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 17:24 ----------

I don't have a business, just interested in photography and want to take and improve on my photos Marx.

I'm wanting to start a photography blog, to get me taking more pictures, already got a google account so is this a good place to do it, or any other places, tips, advice, ideas anyone? Thank you!

Over a decade ago I started a very successful website. I used a cheap webhost, costing around 20 quid for the year, and it submitted my site to all the popular search engines. Eventually it became the number 1 of its genre listed in google. Before then I dabbled with similar websites hosted for free and they rarely received any hits. In fact I don't even think they got listed.

Things may have changed a little now, but if you are serious with the photography website or blog, I'd stay clear of the free hosts.

I might have a look on the Flickr, my only downfall is I would have to put laptop on every night to put the sd card in and put the photos on, and it takes time, any tips? but I'm inspired to do a photography project , like a photo diary etc, thx for your reply! I am only a ametaur but keen on photography!

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 17:24 ----------

I don't have a business, just interested in photography and want to take and improve on my photos Marx.

I'd highly recommend a 365 (photo a day) project, i started mine on Jan 1st and it has really improved my photography skills no end

Yes it is a bind some days, especially on short wet Wintery days, but on the flip side it has forced me out out of my comfort zone on several occasions and as a result i have had some really positive feedback so far from my activity on both Flickr and Facebook

If your wanting to create a blog the best platforms I've come across are Wordpress and Google's Blogger.

Before you start you will need to decide what you want to acheive with the blog - is it to generate traffic for a site or just to keep you interested?

Since I started my blog 18 months ago traffic has increased 800% so it definietly works as longs as you have something interesting to say. The difficulty will always be getting people to read it which is where flickr/facebook/twitter/G+ all come into play. Google loves frequently published content as long as it is on the same domain as your website.

You may end up spending more time writing your blog/doing seo than actually taking photos. If you want to improve your photography then I would join some of the more dedicated sharing sites like ephotozine & 500px along with some of the photography groups on Facebook.

I was wondering if you could answer me a few questions regarding blogs/facebook etc. I'm an artist and photographer and would also like to use whatever channels are available, particularly to get my paintings out there.

I regularly see Facebook pages with hundreds or even thousands of likes and comments. How is this done? Surely not just through a few 'friend' contacts on the system? Is paying to boost your circulation a good idea? Are Wordpress blogs part of a community that tends to attract more hits than other methods? Does anyone have actual experience of building up a good following on the net, by these or any other means?

Hope someone can help,

Cheers,

Chris

I wouldn't pay too much attention to amount of likes people have, it's easy to get alot of paid like but whats the point if nobody is interested in your stuff? better to have 100 interested people than 10,000 people who ignore you. Paid likes through Facebook ads are the best way to go to increase your likes, you can be very specific to who you target the ads to so you won't waste your budget and find people who are interested in your topics.

Facebook has changed recently where it will limit the reach of your posts to the people who like the page unless you pay to boost them. If you have 1000 likes it may only appear in 100 people's timelines and just ignore the 900 other likers unless you boost the post.

The best way to get more likes and interaction is to reguarily post everyday and encourage people to share and like, this way you will naturally grow your following. It will take a lot of work and effort but you will gradually get the results.

I'm not sure about wordpress and the community, I assume you can search through like you can with the others but to be honest you will get most of your Wordpress traffic from organic search as with the tools it is pretty good and easy for SEO.

I find Twitter has the best interaction and reach to people who are interested, tends to be people who look for what they are interested in rather than Facebook which is full of rubbish.

Google+ is going to be a good tool once people begin to sign up so I'd get that going now and get used to it. I have quite a big following in America and very little from GB on there.

Nickscape - great advice. Thanks for that. It's certainly not straight forward, is it?

Some great images on your website, BTW. Well done:-)

Nickscape - great advice. Thanks for that. It's certainly not straight forward, is it?

Some great images on your website, BTW. Well done:-)

Thanks! glad the info was useful - just remember everything you do will help in the long run :)

I have a blog on my website (to keep people revisiting) and a tumblr - as that has it's own massive community. Promote yourself as much as possible!