What do you think makes relationships survive long-term?

Marriage is hard work and at times you hit bumps in the road or find that you’ve lost the spark of years past. Even the happiest and most romantic of couples hit rough patches now and then. As couples become comfortable with one another, they tend to be less affectionate.what do you think makes relationships survive long-term?

Separate interests and the acceptance you will be wrong most of time (even if you aren't).

Know when to turn a blind eye

Is it true that Talking about feelings, which is soothing to women, makes men physically uncomfortable or is it just my OH?

Is it true that Talking about feelings, which is soothing to women, makes men physically uncomfortable or is it just my OH?

I don't think your O/H is on his on with this,i wouldn't say uncomfortable,its just that men tend to keep things to themselves instead of talking about them,so its more a case of not understanding the need woman have to talk about them.

Copious amounts of alcohol. :hihi:

31 years and counting,. Couldn't argue with that.

Being faithful to each other and treat each other with respect.

Being compatible, spend as much time with each other as you can.

If you do have a row, never go to bed leaving things as they were - make up.

May sound ' Soppy ' to some of you reading this.....but a quotation from the film ' Love Story '

' Love means Never Having To Say Your Sorry ' rings true, if you genuinly love your partner or wife, the word Sorry shouldn't crop up that often - if at all.

This coming June 2nd 2014, my wife and I will have been married 41 years all of which have been the best - she is my right hand, my best friend as well as my wife and I don't know what I would do without her.

None of these 'rules' mean a thing. Different things work for different couples.

None of these 'rules' mean a thing. Different things work for different couples.

' Rules ' where has this come from - who has mentioned people's feelings as being rules ?

I'm sure that any couple who think highly of one another would agree with my sentiments

I wrote in my posting.

Maybe you would like to explain what you mean about ' different things working for different couples '

Are you saying that in a relationship, the man or woman doesn't like to be told they are loved and they prefer to be cheated on ?

Personally I would generally agree with this, basing marriage on rules is not a relationship IMO as marriage is primarily a set of rules, unless you see love as defined by rules.

John Habs says spend as much time with each other as possible..maybe, if that's what you want. As Spyrizzle says- different things for differing reasons.

The survival of a relationship (not just marriage) is primarily dependant on respect..that's not the same as you giving it and expecting it in return. Giving it is your only requirement..if he or she is equal to the task they will reciprocate without any expectations. Asking for, demanding trust, respect, is a lost cause..a compatible relationship will see that as a given without asking..

Understanding space, the space to be who you are, not who you are as a couple. A relationship needn't be a loss of individual identity..unless you have no identity and the relationship gives you that.