The Asylum & Immigration Megathread

There's lots of generalisations and misunderstandings there Led Zeppelin.

There's lots of generalisations and misunderstandings there Led Zeppelin.

No there is the truth of the matter Tony.:)

No there is the truth of the matter Tony.:)

I disagree, it's spin, and repetition of blatant propogandist lies/ errors and downright bigotry.

we take A-S's in because it's our humanitarian duty, and we, like many other "safe" nations have signed up to the geneva convention, which gives protection to those seeking refuge from war-torn lands.

led zep, your comments are just stirring, and perpetuating the misconceptions about our fellow humans in need.

PT

I disagree, it's spin, and repetition of blatant propogandist lies/ errors and downright bigotry.

we take A-S's in because it's our humanitarian duty, and we, like many other "safe" nations have signed up to the geneva convention, which gives protection to those seeking refuge from war-torn lands.

led zep, your comments are just stirring, and perpetuating the misconceptions about our fellow humans in need.

PT

I am not heartless as I donate a bit each month to worthwhile causes.

I don't hate people and wish no-one any harm.

However in my simple logical world they are not asylum seekers.

Tony and Plain Talker answer me why do they come to Britain?

I would say it is because of the NHS, Benefits system and housing allowances to name a few.

they come to us because they are part of the quota we take in.

PT

That's cool - we agree to take a certain amount. Do they make their own way here or do they arrive at various European countries and then later on get dispersed?

Belle “the lefty do-gooder” — I notice that you name the source of the Lib-Dems statistics but fail to note — unless I’ve missed it — where your facts came from. I note that while monetary figures of “millions“ are quoted by the Lib-Dems, your own facts simply state a low percentage of the nation’s budget.

Are you parroting for Tony Blair, or one of his Cabinet cronies?

I totally agree Cliff... but tell me if I'm wrong here..... if every individual got off their butt tomorrow and began work.... whether it be taxi driving or poly pharmaceuticals.... would the peak oil effect accelerate in any way?

I don't understand what peak oil is.... please explain..... is it something like a taxi driver using the last drains of fuel or an artist developing through using oil based paints? :confused: .... please explain. Ta. :thumbsup:

LOL

Yeah maybe it will speed up Peak Oil.

Peak Oil is what's known as using half of all Oil available. What happens then is your left with the nasty, hard to get to Oil, expensive stuff so the price per barel goes up hence the situation were we stand now. Then it becomes difficult to keep up with demand thus demand begins to outstrip supply. This is when first a recession hits then because there is nothing as versatile as Oil on our planet a long mayybe permanent depression sets in. This means the whole economy will collapse, the food system won't be able to supply the population, sanitation will decrease leading to more diseases and eventually a big die off because we've well exceeded the carrying capicity of human beings on this planet by over 5 billion because of mainly Oil and then other carbon based fossil fuels. But don't worry too much about it not many others do :hihi:

That's cool - we agree to take a certain amount. Do they make their own way here or do they arrive at various European countries and then later on get dispersed?

The silence is deafening isnt it.:thumbsup:

The prospect of an amnesty for more than half a million illegal immigrants was raised by the Home Office for the first time last night.

Liam Byrne, the immigration minister, refused to rule one out when he was questioned by the Commons home affairs select committee.

Pressure has been growing on the Government from unions and religious leaders to consider ''regularising'' the position of an estimated 570,000 economic migrants and failed asylum seekers who are unlikely ever to go home.

Telegraph

Surely this is sending out the wrong message.

Can this country afford it and is it right to reward illegal behaviour.

Is this another government cop out for failing to tackle illegal immigration.

Send em back to where they came from

The government wouldn't dare do this. Regardless of whether or not it is the right thing to do, if they tried it the tabloids would tear them apart. Blair governs to pacify the tabloid headlines, and he certainly doesn't have the guts to take them on in this way.