Ukip. All discussion here please.

approx 1.8 million EU immigrants living in Britain

approx 1.8 million British immigrants living in the EU

both of these two groups will presumably be entitled to vote in any referendum if they register to vote

and I suspect each of them will vote, and overwhelmingly too, to stay in the EU.

Edited by blake

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 07:52 ----------

[/color]

Don't be so stupid.

You did get that that was a rhetorical sarcastic question didn't you? :)

Ukip haven't thought anything through, other than how to gain as many seats as possible and get their noses in the trough by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

approx 1.8 million EU immigrants living in Britain

approx 1.8 million British immigrants living in the EU

both of these two groups will presumably be entitled to vote in any referendum if they register to vote

and I suspect each of them will vote, and overwhelmingly too, to stay in the EU.

I'm not so worried about the Brits living in the EU, it's the imported votes coming from the EU that worry me.

If 500,000+ immigrants are coming in each year, most of whom are likely to vote in favour of staying in the EU, then the longer the vote is delayed, the more chance there is of the pro EU vote coming out on top.

I suppose it will depend on who is allowed to vote in any such referendum. If all the Johnny-come-latelies are allowed to vote, regardless of how long they've been here, then it's more than likely the vote will be in favour of staying in the EU, especially if it's delayed a few more years.

Regards

Doom

I'm not so worried about the Brits living in the EU, it's the imported votes coming from the EU that worry me.

If 500,000+ immigrants are coming in each year, most of whom are likely to vote in favour of staying in the EU, then the longer the vote is delayed, the more chance there is of the pro EU vote coming out on top.

I suppose it will depend on who is allowed to vote in any such referendum. If all the Johnny-come-latelies are allowed to vote, regardless of how long they've been here, then it's more than likely the vote will be in favour of staying in the EU, especially if it's delayed a few more years.

Regards

Doom

It's all them foreigners faults,why did they want to become part of the British Empire,we took what we wanted off them and they still have voting rights here...........shouldn't be allowed,

Disgusted,Tunbridge Wells.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/365

Foreign citizens votes could critically affect outcome of 2015 election and EU referendum

August 28, 2013

A million foreign citizens can vote in all British elections

Commonwealth Citizens who have not yet qualified for British Citizenship, or have not even applied, should no longer be entitled to vote in British general elections, nor in the forthcoming referendum on UK membership of the EU. That is the conclusion of a report issued today by Migration Watch UK.

The report reveals, for the first time, that there are over a million people of voting age living in England and Wales who hold only Commonwealth passports. These Commonwealth citizens currently have the right to vote in all British elections but, except for a few Caribbean states, British citizens do not have reciprocal rights in Commonwealth countries. An address in the constituency is required to get on the electoral roll but no period of residence is laid down and there are no checks on immigration status.

The issue is highly significant because, in the last two general elections, the winning party had a margin over the second party of only two million in 2010 and in 2005 just 750,000. Not all Commonwealth citizens will vote, of course but if their turn out is close to the national average of around 60% they could amount to about half a million votes. An analysis by constituency will not be possible until the Office for National Statistics (ONS) publishes the relevant statistics.

‘If the next election is close, and especially if there is a coalition negotiation, the number of seats gained by each party will be critical so the outcome could be significantly influenced by a group of people who have not yet qualified to become British citizens or have not even bothered to do so,’ said Migration Watch chairman, Sir Andrew Green.

‘One example is that a student visitor from a Commonwealth country planning to study for six months, would be allowed to enrol on the Electoral Register and vote in a Parliamentary Election if one was held during the duration of his or her stay. This is clearly absurd,’ he said. ‘The issue is one of basic fairness. If people want to participate in deciding the future of our country they should at least become citizens’.

The previous government commissioned a review by Lord Goldsmith, their Attorney General, in 2007 and then ignored his recommendation that this anomaly be brought to an end. He had concluded that “Ultimately, it is right in principle not to give the right to vote to citizens of other countries living in the UK until they become British citizens”. However, he made no attempt to estimate the number of votes involved.

Said Sir Andrew: ‘This is the first time an estimate of the numbers has been made. The public will be astonished to learn that nearly a million foreign citizens from countries that do not allow British residents to vote in their countries are, nevertheless, allowed to vote in all British elections. This is a hangover from the days of Empire and should not have been allowed to continue, especially given the rapid increase in immigration from Commonwealth countries. In future, it should be reciprocal. Except for nationals of a handful of Commonwealth countries that grant similar rights, it should be brought to an end immedia

Edited by chalga

The previous government commissioned a review by Lord Goldsmith, their Attorney General, in 2007 and then ignored his recommendation that this anomaly be brought to an end.
Mmmm, I wonder why that was...Anyone have any statistics handy about the right/left split of this 'million Commonwealth vote'? ;)

To the risk of stating the obvious, but for clarification if it was needed by some, EU migrants do not have the right to vote in British General Elections (so, unlike these Commonwealth migrants), only in Council and European (MEP) elections.

I do not recall ever voting in a British national referendum (like the mooted "EU in or out" referendum would expectedly be), but that might be down to imperfect recollection...when was the last one held and what was it about? :huh:

I'm not so worried about the Brits living in the EU.

I think you should be very worried about them.

If Britain was to leave the EU then they would lose their automatic right to live in the EU and, while some would no doubt be viewed as an asset to the EU some wouldn't and so would be removed and sent back here.

I imagine some of those who will lose their homes and careers will not be that happy.

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 11:06 ----------

I do not recall ever voting in a British national referendum (like the mooted "EU in or out" referendum would expectedly be), but that might be down to imperfect recollection...when was the last one held and what was it about? :huh:

the only national ones have been the eu referendum on the 1970's and the alternative vote one in 2011

the others have been local/regional ones to do with devolution and such like.

If Britain was to leave the EU then they would lose their automatic right to live in the EU and, while some would no doubt be viewed as an asset to the EU some wouldn't and so would be removed and sent back here.

I imagine some of those who will lose their homes and careers will not be that happy.

Not to mention all those pensioners who moved somewhere warmer who'll be back wanting housing and putting strain on the NHS. I expect Spain won't be sorry to see them leave.

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 11:06 ----------

the only national ones have been the eu referendum on the 1970's and the alternative vote one in 2011

the others have been local/regional ones to do with devolution and such like.

Surely as people who have turned their backs and abandoned their homeland, we'd be under no obligation to take them back, and they'd have rendered themselves stateless?

Not to mention all those pensioners who moved somewhere warmer who'll be back wanting housing and putting strain on the NHS. I expect Spain won't be sorry to see them leave.

If they've taken their money over there and are paying their own way then I'm not sure the Spanish would be glad to see the back of them.

I would also guess quite a lot of them would now be classified as Spanish and allowed to stay there if we were to leave the EU.

Regards

Doom

Surely as people who have turned their backs and abandoned their homeland, we'd be under no obligation to take them back, and they'd have rendered themselves stateless?

who says they have abandoned their homeland?

they may have chosen to live and work abroad from many reasons, money, climate, availability of work, availability of housing and have every intention of returning home at a suitable moment.

anyway, no one can be rendered stateless, so if they have not acquired joint or sole citizenship of another country they are ours.

56% of the UK population are from other EU states? I don't think so.

However, UKIP don't seem to hate all EU citizens. They seem to love anti-Semitic Poles and just hate Jews, as documented by the Jewish Chronicle;

"Jews are very talented people, and therefore are our worst enemies...."

"Maybe I am exaggerating a little, but don’t you see the sick carping on the left and right that so many Jews were murdered...."

"...Jews’ efforts to win back property stolen during the Second World War often amounted to a “Holocaust industry".

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/124483/exclusive-ukips-far-right-euro-partner-attacks-holocaust-industry

None of those quotes were about UKIP. Your post is libellous and disingenuous. They are attiributed to the leader of the Party of one of the fellow members of a group that Farage belongs to. It is like be quoting one of your friend's bosses and saying that they were your words

However, UKIP don't seem to hate all EU citizens. They seem to love anti-Semitic Poles and just hate Jews, as documented by the Jewish Chronicle;

Very few of the ukip whateverism scandals have involved anti-Semitism. at the minute at least they seem to be concentrating on disliking eastern Europeans which makes the decision to accept one polish mep from a very dodgy party a bit surprising.

though, of course, not every pole brings a couple of million euros to the ukip coffers.

and they have only taken one mep from the several from this party who got elected.

it would almost look like mr farage has been involved with a cynical manipulation of rules and procedure in order to line the pockets of his party.