Can any rescue help Harvey? *Sad Update*

angel22

So if I were to add the above cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs and ricotta cheese to his diet this would help, sorry if I seem a bit thick but just need as much information as possible.

What I meant was don't fall into the trap of feeding too little protein - this may (or may not, all dogs are different) cause itchy skin, poor coat quality and weight issues. What I was trying to point out was that low purine, and not necessarily low protein was a better choice based on this particular study. Low purine means a diet that can include some fish, eggs, poultry and the above cheeses/yogurt. This brand (which I googled, so please don't take my word as gospel!) https://www.sojos.com/products/dog-food/sojos-turkey-complete-dog-food appears low in purines, and could be complemented with eggs and dairy to make a balanced diet. These suggestions are just the results of my research into dogs with PSS, and should not be used in place of veterinary advice. Hope this helps :)

What I meant was don't fall into the trap of feeding too little protein - this may (or may not, all dogs are different) cause itchy skin, poor coat quality and weight issues. What I was trying to point out was that low purine, and not necessarily low protein was a better choice based on this particular study. Low purine means a diet that can include some fish, eggs, poultry and the above cheeses/yogurt. This brand (which I googled, so please don't take my word as gospel!) https://www.sojos.com/products/dog-food/sojos-turkey-complete-dog-food appears low in purines, and could be complemented with eggs and dairy to make a balanced diet. These suggestions are just the results of my research into dogs with PSS, and should not be used in place of veterinary advice. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for your help.

I really hope he's ok Hackwood, you're doing a fab job - and we shall be contributing to his funds when something is sorted :) I didn't mean to sound patronising/snobbish/clever/anything bad with my last post - I just don't think my single hours research is as good as what a qualified vet can tell you (I'm a theoretical physicist by trade)!

Hi,

Harvey is being really naughty tonight, chasing our cats, trying to hump Keeley, lol, we will both be home with him this weekend and our other dogs, hope to try him with different food this weekend.

Will keep everyone posted daily.

Thanks to everyone again.

I'll donate to him, as I was very tempted to keep him myself! We once set up a FB page to get donations for a stray cat 'Thomas the cat' and it was very successful and he now has followers from all over the world. We paid straight to the vet looking after him with credit/ debit cards, and any money left over went into the surgery fund to help other animals.

Harvey seems to have settled here, been great to have a couple of days off work with him, been on a couple of nice long walks, on pavement of course, as he has not had full vaccination yet.

Had cod for dinner today with veg, along with my other dogs, loved it.

Spoke to our vet this morning, tests are back and show there could be a problem with his liver, says it might not be a shunt as there was nothing in the report stating this. He will speak to lab on Tuesday to see what they think, before we see what action to take. Fingers crossed it can be helped without the need for that op.

Thanks to everyone wanting to donate, I will contact you all over this weekend with details, also hoping Keeley can set a face book page up to help.

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 16:15 ----------

Hi everyone, just to let you know that I think I have finally created Harvey's own FB page. Its called Helping Harvey and I aim to keep you all updated with his progress via this page. Once we have the account set up for donations I will post the details both on here and his FB page.

Thanks again people,

Keeley x

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 18:57 ----------

Hi,

The account is now set up for donations, P M us for account details if you want to donate, all monies will be held in this account and bank statements will be available to all people who donate.

Thanks for everyone`s help in helping Harvey.